Marlins New Ballpark Renderings

Morrissey

Agreed, I can't see this happening

This from Wikipedia

The most pivotal day in the Marlins' history may be Feb. 13, 2009 when county commissioners are finally scheduled to vote on the remaining contracts that would give the team the permanent home it has craved for a decade.

After this vote, they can break ground.

that stadium is going to open up so many jobs for us south Floridians.. i hope they build it

Sounds good, but the way this state is seriously under funded and losing state jobs left and right. They'll be crazy to approve this, but this is FL. Should be interesting.

Why? When is the public funding of stadiums going to end?

As much as most of you make fun of the pro teams in Boston the State Legislature has never put a dime into building a new Arena/Ballpark/Football Stadium.

TD Banknorth Garden: No public funds.

Fenway Park: No public funds.

Gillette Stadium: No public funds.

The only thing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has ever done is kicked in money for infrastructure improvements as it was in their best interest to do that.

BTW: How much $$$ have the Yanks and Mets received from NY State for their new Stadiums?

Why? When is the public funding of stadiums going to end?

As much as most of you make fun of the pro teams in Boston the State Legislature has never put a dime into building a new Arena/Ballpark/Football Stadium.

TD Banknorth Garden: No public funds.

Fenway Park: No public funds.

Gillette Stadium: No public funds.

The only thing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has ever done is kicked in money for infrastructure improvements as it was in their best interest to do that.

BTW: How much $$$ have the Yanks and Mets received from NY State for their new Stadiums?

Last time I was at Fenway Park, I pissed on it. Thought you should know that.

And weather you like it or not, for the Red Sox to compete, Fenway Park will have to come down.

And weather you like it or not, for the Red Sox to compete, Fenway Park will have to come down.

I've been saying this for a couple years now, and I get crucified for it. The Red Sox have done an awesome job marketing there team with the whole Nation thing and making New Englanders feel like they're apart of something. And now there just losing out with that small stadium. They'll be a baseball stadium in Foxboro during our lifetime.

They drew over 3 million last year. If they can continue to do that by putting a good product on the field, they'll be fine, because that is far more important over the long haul than having a shiny, new stadium.

They drew over 3 million last year. If they can continue to do that by putting a good product on the field, they'll be fine, because that is far more important over the long haul than having a shiny, new stadium.

and the Yankees and Mets drew over 4 million. 9 teams drew more than the Red Sox, and that is simply because of the capacity of there ballpark. They would be right up there with the Yankees, if not more, if they decided to build a larger ballpark. Maybe they could of actually landed Teixeira, instead of making excuses of why they couldn't get him. "The Yankees are building a new ballpark, waaa waa, the Yankees having larger capacity, waaa waaa, the Yankees have more resources, waa waaa"

Tell me, why have they been added seats to the park every year? Could it be because they are trying to keep up with the teams with larger capacity ballparks?

'01- 33,993(night) / 33,557(day)

'03- 34,898(night) / 34,482(day)

'04- 35,095(night) / 34,679(day)

'06- 36,108(night) / 35,692(day)

'07- 36,525(night) / 36,109(day)

'08- 37,400(night) / 36,984(day)

There packing them in there like sardines.

Yeah they'll be fine. But what self respecting business owner is ok with being fine? When you have a product that has high demand like the Sox do, you have to pump it for all its worth.

I never understood the fuss behind fenway.

Won't make a difference if they build a new stadium or not, people still aren't going to go to the games.

Be it from South Florida's rep as being casual fans to being f'ed over by Wayne Huizenga and his heir apparent, Jeffrey Loria.

Might as well dissolve the team or move them elsewhere with someone willing to support the club.

and the Yankees and Mets drew over 4 million. 9 teams drew more than the Red Sox, and that is simply because of the capacity of there ballpark. They would be right up there with the Yankees, if not more, if they decided to build a larger ballpark. Maybe they could of actually landed Teixeira, instead of making excuses of why they couldn't get him. "The Yankees are building a new ballpark, waaa waa, the Yankees having larger capacity, waaa waaa, the Yankees have more resources, waa waaa"

Tell me, why have they been added seats to the park every year? Could it be because they are trying to keep up with the teams with larger capacity ballparks?

'01- 33,993(night) / 33,557(day)

'03- 34,898(night) / 34,482(day)

'04- 35,095(night) / 34,679(day)

'06- 36,108(night) / 35,692(day)

'07- 36,525(night) / 36,109(day)

'08- 37,400(night) / 36,984(day)

There packing them in there like sardines.

Nine teams drew more than them, yet they're still ranked #3 in team value behind the Mets and Yankees. They will never be able to keep up with the Yankees on the balance sheet, even if they build a new stadium. As long as they keep a successful product on the field, they should be able to generate enough revenue through gate, merchandise, advertising, and NESN to maintain their position at #2 in the AL.

Nine teams drew more than them, yet they're still ranked #3 in team value behind the Mets and Yankees. They will never be able to keep up with the Yankees on the balance sheet, even if they build a new stadium. As long as they keep a successful product on the field, they should be able to generate enough revenue through gate, merchandise, advertising, and NESN to maintain their position at #2 in the AL.

Rankings are rankings. If you have a product and you know you can make more money your gonna take the leap eventually.

Rankings are rankings. If you have a product and you know you can make more money your gonna take the leap eventually.

The problem with the "eventual leap" is the massive expenditure it would cost to get there - especially without public money. So long as Fenway is structurally sound, the Red Sox will play baseball there, with the team continuing to make minor renovations.

The problem with the "eventual leap" is the massive expenditure it would cost to get there - especially without public money. So long as Fenway is structurally sound, the Red Sox will play baseball there, with the team continuing to make minor renovations.

A lot of Fenway has already been rebuilt. not much of the stadium is still old.

Yes. Couple of times a year.

Many parts of that ballpark have been replaced or renovated.

Are there still some areas that are old? yes. But much of it has been updated.

Every heard the saying lipstick on a big? Well that's what is going on with Fenway. They never gutted the stadium, like they did when the Yankees renovated Yankee Stadium in the 70's. The core of that stadium is the same stadium that was built before the Titanic went down. I'm sure it can last a while longer, but the concourses are awful; way to crowded, seats are awful; no leg room, made for 100 lb women, some very bad sightless, not enough bathrooms. Behind all that lipstick is a stadium that is a 96 year old. After it's 100 year anniversary, don't be surprised to hear the Sox discussing a new ballpark.

Every heard the saying lipstick on a big? Well that's what is going on with Fenway. They never gutted the stadium, like they did when the Yankees renovated Yankee Stadium in the 70's. The core of that stadium is the same stadium that was built before the Titanic went down. I'm sure it can last a while longer, but the concourses are awful; way to crowded, seats are awful; no leg room, made for 100 lb women, some very bad sightless, not enough bathrooms. Behind all that lipstick is a stadium that is a 96 year old. After it's 100 year anniversary, don't be surprised to hear the Sox discussing a new ballpark.

They re-did the area along the left field line opening up the concourse there. They redid the center field concourse. They put in new seats in the centerfield bleachers. They redid the seating behind the Sawx dugout. The outside of the stadium is mostly old, but the shell usually doesnt need to be replaced.

They do still have a bunch of old-fashioned wooden seats there, but they replace a bunch every offseason. And the concourse between homeplate and right field is old, smelly and cramped, but I dont think there is anything they can do to it...

The owners will only replace Fenway when it no longer becomes profitable. The fans love it. The place is sold out every year. Look at the Shawmut/Fleet/derek Jeter/TD BankNorth Garden... It has no identity, and the fans have no love for it like they did for the Garden.. Fenway is loved. Replace it and you lose the fans. They discussed a new park a few years ago and they got so much bad attention for it there was no way they could go forward with it.

Fenway will be there one way or another for many years to come. Eventually they will overtake Lansdowne St and expand the ballpark towards the Mass Pike. But Fenway wont be replaced.

Whether you like it or not, Boston fans love it. And their wallet is what speaks loudest.

Well said Johnny. I don't think Tyler Durden understands that there isn't much real estate left in Boston to build a new ballpark and the fact that their will be no public funding.

Both the Pats and the prior Sox ownership put out feelers to build on vacant land in South Boston a while ago. That was hit with full on political opposition.

The City/State built a new convention center on that land a few years ago and developers are putting up condos at a record pace.

• 1 month later...

Archived