Nick Swisher + Xavier Nady Trade Rumors

Morrissey

Here's the the latest from Jason Stark and Ken Rosenthal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9150010/Abreu-too-good-to-last-this-long-on-free-agent-market?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

The Braves, for example, view Dye as too expensive and want a better or more versatile defender than Abreu; they would prefer to acquire Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady from the Yankees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090129

After trying to push Xavier Nady as the outfielder they'd most prefer to trade, the Yankees are telling teams they're softening to the idea of dealing Nick Swisher. The Braves head the list of clubs who prefer Swisher because of his versatility and because he's three years from free agency, not one.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9152594/Fehr:-'Heightened'-concern-about-free-agent-market?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

The Yankees are not currently pursuing free-agent reliever Juan Cruz, according to a major-league source. It's conceivable the Yankees' position could change if they trade Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady, but club officials are comfortable with Brian Bruney and Damaso Marte in the eighth inning and Edwar Ramirez, Jose Veras and Co. before that. The team also is deep in major-league-ready relievers

WTF are the Yankees thinking shopping Nady around. He was the most consistent player for 1/2 a seasopn last year, Im interested to see what he does for a full season.

Cashman needs to sit the fukk down.

Nady isn't very good, and most teams know it, which is why teams have been asking more about Swisher.

What you seen from Nady in Pittsburgh last year, is not normal for Nady.

2008 w/ Pirates- .330 BA/ .383 OBP/ .535 SLG

2008 w/ Yankees- .268 BA/ .320 OBP/ .474 SLG

Career- .280 BA/ .335 OBP/ .458 SLG

As you can see when Nady came to NY last season, he didn't do good, at all. He was even worse than his career numbers, which aren't very good. Nady has been a mediocre ball player his whole career.

I'm not sure what you guys see in Nady.

Nady isn't very good, and most teams know it, which is why teams have been asking more about Swisher.

As you can see when Nady came to NY last season, he didn't do good, at all. He was even worse than his career numbers, which aren't very good. Nady has been a mediocre ball player his whole career.

He is good in RISP situations and a ok player. Those type of players are hard for Yank fans to welcome unless said player comes from their system. Maybe the Yanks are moving away from the we must have a star at every position approach.

Not sure why Abreu was so readily dismissed by the Yanks but likely Cashman had his 09 off season already mapped out after trading for Nady and his contract compared to Abreu's helped allow him to go nuts signing the top FA's. Nady can also come of the books next year should the Yanks look to sign another 20 million dollar a year player.

I also saw on Trade Rumors that Matsui was discussed for Washburn.....Matsui's stock can't be that low can it?

He bat .268 for us, and yet he still was the most clutch player on our team during those couple of months he played for the Yankees. That's basically what we see in the guy. Something A-Rod has never provided, signs of being clutch.

I also saw on Trade Rumors that Matsui was discussed for Washburn.....Matsui's stock can't be that low can it?

I guess thats what injuries do to you. I honestly think he has a good chance of having a great year this season, if he stays healthy, of course. Why, because it's his contract year.

I like Swisher's upside more, and that he's under contract for a few more seasons, on a decent contract, so if the Yankees decide to trade one of them, I'd prefer to trade Nady.

I also wouldn't be upset if they kept both of them, in fact, if we can't get anything substantial for Nady, I wouldn't trade him.

Why would they want to trade either one? What do the Yankees need?

A CF for one. A extra proven SP would not hurt either as like it or not, Andy-Burnett and Joba all have question marks to some degree. I realize that can be said of any staff but if you have spent the cash the Yanks have and do have the extra corner OF's, adding a proven SP who could serve as a long man until needed would not be a bad idea.

I know some have slated Aceves to fill that role but if I am a Yank fan I'd prefer he was starting at AAA based on how well he pitched when called up last season.

Just saying it is not a difficult statement to say that "unless I get good value, I am not going to trade player "x". Particularly from a Yankee view.

That isn't true anymore because players are traded in salary dumps all the time. The Twins didn't get good value for Santana but they traded him to a place like the Mets so they wouldn't get grief for it.

That isn't true anymore because players are traded in salary dumps all the time. The Twins didn't get good value for Santana but they traded him to a place like the Mets so they wouldn't get grief for it.

That is why I added the caveat of "particularly the Yankees". Max, do you really believe that the Yankees will trade a player that can provide some value or depth to the team, and just pawn that player off in the motive of clearing some money?

It would make no sense in Nady's case. What are you thinking would be the point of that move?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9185168/Will-Glavine-return-to-Braves?-Nothing%27s-certain%3FCMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Yankees outfielders Nick Swisher and Xavier Nady, two of the Braves' trade targets, will earn $6.55 million and $5.3 million this season, respectively. The Yankees are unlikely to include money in any deal — except, perhaps, if they receive higher-quality prospects in return.

Jordan Schafer please!!!

Form being basically his one above average season in his career. Swisher has been overrated since donning pinstripes. I liken him to Austin Kearns.

He was overrated before he got here. I wasn't happy about acquiring him, but I understood the reasoning before Tex was signed. Now, we don't need another low-average bat with spotty power.

Keep Nady. Trade Swisher.

Swisher >> Nady

Especially for this team. A much better fit. Switch hitter, takes pitches, gets on base. We need that at the bottom of the lineup. The loss of Abreu and Giambi and their patience has to be made up somewhere.

I wouldn't mind the Mets taking Nady back if they kept Swisher.

Archived