Wells calls Torre a 'punk' for comments in book

NIGHT STALKER

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Former pitcher David Wells fired back at Joe Torre on Thursday, saying the manager has unfairly criticized his ex-Yankees players in his new book.

"I'm kind of like blown away because of the fact that he's coming out and he's bashing," Wells said in a radio interview in Tampa, Fla., with "The Mason & Ireland Show" aired on 710 ESPN in Los Angeles.

"I found out last night that he was bashing me and Kevin Brown. He bashed Kevin Brown as a player, when he said he tried to make his life miserable," said Wells, who is out of baseball. "Nobody tries to make anybody's life miserable out there on the diamond. You're there for one reason and one reason only, and that's to win."

Torre's book, The Yankee Years, co-written with Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci, deals with the team Torre managed in New York from 1996-2007. He is now the Los Angeles Dodgers' manager.

Torre said of Wells: "The difference between Kevin Brown and David Wells is that both make your life miserable, but David Wells meant to."

Wells said, "If I was trying to make his life miserable, I would have succeeded. ... If he had that many problems with those guys, why didn't he face them while they were there?"

Wells, who has not read the book but plans to buy one when it becomes available next week, was especially critical of Torre for talking about things that happened in the clubhouse.

"What we do as athletes, that's our problem, our business, and a lot of guys have come out and destroyed that," Wells said. "That's why they don't have any friends. You just don't do that, and that's what Joe did. When you break the code, you're a punk."

What are the Dodger players going to think? Is nothing sacred? Maybe the book isn't as bad as is being portrayed now, time will tell. But I think his current players aren't going to be thrilled. They are going to need Manny back in L.A. to deflect some attention away from the book.

What are the Dodger players going to think? Is nothing sacred? Maybe the book isn't as bad as is being portrayed now, time will tell. But I think his current players aren't going to be thrilled. They are going to need Manny back in L.A. to deflect some attention away from the book.

Maybe they will think that they should act professional in the clubhouse and in everything they do?

Is that such a bad thing?

Maybe they will think that they should act professional in the clubhouse and in everything they do?

Here we go, another dig at the Yankees...you must dream about this team. Seriously, do you have some kind of voodoo Yankee doll with pins in it?

Uh, yes it was.

Max asked how players are supposed to take Torre seriously when it comes to clubhouse ettiquette.

Last I checked, Torre was managing the Dodgers.

You insinuated the Yankees didnt act like "professionals." Dont play stupid. It's embarrassing.

I said no such thing-You read into that.

Show me where I said that.

Max asked sopecifically about DODGER PLAYERS.

Man, some thin skin here.

I inferred it because 100% of your posts are Yankee related. It was pretty transparent.

Again, you're playing stupid.

I inferred it because 100% of your posts are Yankee related. It was pretty transparent.

Again, you're playing stupid.

Actually, and unfortunately, 40% of my posts are now in reply to thin skinned Yankee fans who constantly feel somewhat less insignificant because they attribute everything said to be Yankee related, when in most times it is even not.

Max asked about Dodger players and how they should respond , and specifically mentioned Manny Ramirez.

I added that those players (yes, Dodger players) should look to act responsibly. As if any of their actions could actually be reported.

This holds true for ANY team and any player, but was attributed directly to Max and Dodger and Torre reply.

Of course, you need to make it about the Yankees.

SAD

You insinuated the Yankees didnt act like "professionals." Dont play stupid. It's embarrassing.

Thank you...the guy is wrapped up in Yankee hate that he tries to masquerade it by talking Dodger "professionals". Dude, I was born a long time ago...not yesterday.

Thank you...the guy is wrapped up in Yankee hate that he tries to masquerade it by talking Dodger "professionals". Dude, I was born a long time ago...not yesterday.

senility has it's drawbacks.

Listen, if you and Matt have such a problem seeing what I post, and it hurts your feelings so badly to have negative things supposedly said about the Yankees, PUT ME ON IGNORE.

Shelter your comfortable little pinstriped world and IGNORE ME.

senility has it's drawbacks.

Listen, if you and Matt have such a problem seeing what I post, and it hurts your feelings so badly to have negative things supposedly said about the Yankees, PUT ME ON IGNORE.

Shelter your comfortable little pinstriped world and IGNORE ME.

Oh boo hoo, don't take your ball and go home now. And you seem to have senility at an early age....you're going to be a riot in another couple of decades or so.

Actually, and unfortunately, 40% of my posts are now in reply to thin skinned Yankee fans who constantly feel somewhat less insignificant because they attribute everything said to be Yankee related, when in most times it is even not.

Max asked about Dodger players and how they should respond , and specifically mentioned Manny Ramirez.

I added that those players (yes, Dodger players) should look to act responsibly. As if any of their actions could actually be reported.

This holds true for ANY team and any player, but was attributed directly to Max and Dodger and Torre reply.

Of course, you need to make it about the Yankees.

SAD

I see you can't add as well...90% of your posts are anti Yankees. You have this misconception of a person being thin skinned and one just defending their turf.

Not a terrible thing. It works both ways though. There are some clubhouse that are wild and wacky and they'll get the job done. Look at the 2004 Sawx, they had some crazy characters in that group. Or the '86 Mets, those guys knew how to have fun.

I see you can't add as well...90% of your posts are anti Yankees. You have this misconception of a person being thin skinned and one just defending their turf.

There was a time on this board, where adult baseball discussion could take place.

I had excellent baseball discussions with Yankee fans such as AirForceJetfan, MBN, among others where we could openly and honestly discuss each others teams, talk freely and more than anything, respect each other's opinions.

There was no crying, there was no private messaging Max and Mods about thoughts that other people had that differed from our own.

We are able to kid each other , cajole each other and the various teams, and not have knee jerk reactions just because something was said about the Mets or the Yankees.

Yes, it was like that. There was not immediate people reading into posts and saying (oh, that is a subversive Yankee (or Met) dig), how dare you!

It was adult.

Unfortunately, you are unable to filter that type of adult dialogue. Everything is either Yankee or anti-Yankee to you. Every comment has to be put in one bucket or the either. If a comment doesn't fit a bucket, force it into one.

Some people would call that small mindedness and simple mindedness. I call it sad.

Not a terrible thing. It works both ways though. There are some clubhouse that are wild and wacky and they'll get the job done. Look at the 2004 Sawx, they had some crazy characters in that group. Or the '86 Mets, those guys knew how to have fun.

They also knew how to decapitate cats.

You defend that turf NS, keep the Yankee world free from negative thoughts :)

You missed the point...again. Nothing wrong with posting negative stuff about the Yankees. I do it myself. You on the other hand do it constantly...that's all you seem to do. Now, go ahead and put your own little spin on it.

You missed the point...again. Nothing wrong with posting negative stuff about the Yankees. I do it myself. You on the other hand do it constantly...that's all you seem to do. Now, go ahead and put your own little spin on it.

JBF would have made Nightstalker's head explode.

There would have been so much determining and scrutinizing every post whether it was anti-Yankee oriented or not, he would have virtually collapsed upon himself like a black hole.

All that would be left would be a little "26 medallion" bent in half.

There would have been so much determining and scrutinizing every post whether it was anti-Yankee oriented or not, he would have virtually collapsed upon himself like a black hole.

SD, I would have to disagree with you in regards to Yankee fans on this board being thinned skinned. I was told they are "hardcore" Speaking of hardcore, what ever happened to Anskykloogy??

Here you go trying to put some kind of spin of what you think I would have done...get out in the real world man.

You do suffer from senility at a young age...I feel sorry for you because I was on this forum when Jet/BosoxFan was here. My main beef with him was how come he never posted in the Jets forum if he was a Jets fan.

Here you go trying to put some kind of spin of what you think I would have done...get out in the real world man.

You do suffer from senility at a young age...I feel sorry for you because I was on this forum when Jet/BosoxFan was here. My main beef with him was how come he never posted in the Jets forum if he was a Jets fan.

Wasn't it you that also ran awy from this site in a huff?

or do I have you confused with some other sensitive soul?

Wasn't it you that also ran awy from this site in a huff?

or do I have you confused with some other sensitive soul?

No, look in the mirror dude. I just called you on JBF **** you posted and you come up with some other BS.

And quit hiding behind the "invisible mode" like the roach you are.

No, look in the mirror dude. I just called you on JBF **** you posted and you come up with some other BS.

And quit hiding behind the "invisible mode" like the roach you are.

So you didn't take a hiatus away from this site because of hurt feelings?

Sorry I had you confused with another guy. My apologies.

There was a time on this board, where adult baseball discussion could take place.

I had excellent baseball discussions with Yankee fans such as AirForceJetfan, MBN, among others where we could openly and honestly discuss each others teams, talk freely and more than anything, respect each other's opinions.

There was no crying, there was no private messaging Max and Mods about thoughts that other people had that differed from our own.

We are able to kid each other , cajole each other and the various teams, and not have knee jerk reactions just because something was said about the Mets or the Yankees.

Yes, it was like that. There was not immediate people reading into posts and saying (oh, that is a subversive Yankee (or Met) dig), how dare you!

It was adult.

Unfortunately, you are unable to filter that type of adult dialogue. Everything is either Yankee or anti-Yankee to you. Every comment has to be put in one bucket or the either. If a comment doesn't fit a bucket, force it into one.

Some people would call that small mindedness and simple mindedness. I call it sad.

You come of extremely smug. Especially with your endless ridiculous Yankee hatred, which is why people call you out for being a jerk.

And I have better things to do than pm max complaining about people.

Condescing gets boring after a while, especially when everyone is laughing at you.

Archived