NE QB Cassell franchise tag cost $14.6 million

faba

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless he's perfectly happy being a backup in which case they sign him at a back up rate. :headbang:

yeah turn down $15M :confused0058:

Hello........

They have to offer it to him first.

And his agent will cease to represent NFL players the moment Cassel signs the back-up rate. Yep, his agent wants to commit career suicide.

And his agent will cease to represent NFL players the moment Cassel signs the back-up rate. Yep, his agent wants to commit career suicide.

If the player doesn't want to be a starter there really isn't much the agent can do about it. Listening to Cassel's interview a week or so ago really didn't have me convinced that that's what he wants to do. Believe me, I'm all for tagging him and shipping him off for some draft picks but I don't think it's as set in stone as some think. The only people talking about him being tagged are "experts" and people on message boards who are plugging away at a 10% success rate as far as Patriots predictions go.

If the player doesn't want to be a starter there really isn't much the agent can do about it. Listening to Cassel's interview a week or so ago really didn't have me convinced that that's what he wants to do. Believe me, I'm all for tagging him and shipping him off for some draft picks but I don't think it's as set in stone as some think. The only people talking about him being tagged are "experts" and people on message boards who are plugging away at a 10% success rate as far as Patriots predictions go.

You don't really believe this, do you? Its a business decision, Pats won't carry 30mill in QB's, Cassell and his agent will be really stupid not to take the franchise money. Also what makes you so sure he'll take a 'backup rate', can teams go around the franchise tag rule? I just can't see the agent doing that, after all its all about money IMO.

Alk, you seem like a generally intelligent person. Don't you realize how either uber-homerific or idiotic your argument sounds?

You want us to believe that Cassel, because he supposedly wants to be a backup (who makes no more than $5 million a year), is willing to turn down 3 times that to stay a backup?

If we are talking about a couple of million difference, then hey, perhaps, but not $5 million to $15 million difference.

Use common sense here, Alk. This is purely financial. Cassel will never make more than he will on this new contract. This is his big payday. He's going to get some major guaranteed money ($20 to 25 million) which is more than any contract IN TOTAL the Pats can sign him to as a back-up.

You don't really believe this, do you? Its a business decision, Pats won't carry 30mill in QB's, Cassell and his agent will be really stupid not to take the franchise money. Also what makes you so sure he'll take a 'backup rate', can teams go around the franchise tag rule? I just can't see the agent doing that, after all its all about money IMO.

No, teams can't go around the franchise tag rule because the NFLPA has to also approve each contract.

Does anyone believe that the NFLPAs association is going to approve Cassel walking away from the franchise tag money to take a backup deal?

I really have no clue how Alk can believe his own argument.

I'm not sure about anything when it comes to the Patriots. That's why I think it's hilarious that everyone is so positive that the Patriots who go against conventional wisdom almost every single time are absolutely, positively going to pay $15 million for a backup QB.

No, teams can't go around the franchise tag rule because the NFLPA has to also approve each contract.

Does anyone believe that the NFLPAs association is going to approve Cassel walking away from the franchise tag money to take a backup deal?

I really have no clue how Alk can believe his own argument.

Answer one question for me. Can Cassel "walk away" from the franchise tag money when he hasn't even officially had the franchise tag put on him?

The only way I see Matt Cassel signing a long term deal with the Patriots with the expectation he might be a back up in 2009 is if was based on the premise that Brady is questionable and a commitment that one of three things would occur in 2010. a) Brady retires, B) Cassel is traded, c) Brady is traded.

He might be willing to be a back up in NE if he feels it would give him an honest shot at being a starter in NE instead of being the Lions QB.

I'm not sure about anything when it comes to the Patriots. That's why I think it's hilarious that everyone is so positive that the Patriots who go against conventional wisdom almost every single time are absolutely, positively going to pay $15 million for a backup QB.

You're coming at this from the wrong angle, Alk. This is not about what the Patriots "will do." There is not 31 teams in the NFL plus the Patriots.

This is not "conventional wisdom" we're talking about, this is the franchise system put in place pursuant to the CBA. The Patriots have no choice. If they want to keep Cassel, then they'll have to franchise him. The NFLPA and Cassel's agent (and Cassel's family) won't let him take the mother of all discounts to stay with the Pats.

Cassel is getting big money in 2009 guaranteed. It's either the Patriots or some other team. And even if the Pats franchise him to trade him, the Pats will still need to clear up $15 million in cap room to do it pursuant to the CBA.

Rotoworld: Tom Brady says one of his goals is to play football until he's 40-years-old.

We don't often pull material from Entertainment Tonight, but we get desperate for non-Super Bowl news in late January. Brady's desire to play for seven or eight more years is music to Dynasty league owners' ears. Of course, it has yet to be determined if Brady will even play next season.

Doubt Cassell would stay if Brady was gonna start for the Patriots for anymore than 1 year.

Answer one question for me. Can Cassel "walk away" from the franchise tag money when he hasn't even officially had the franchise tag put on him?

No.

You have to understand something: the franchise tag helps both the team and the player.

The franchise tag is guaranteed money for the player in exchange for the team to retain his rights either to keep him (exclusive or nonexclusive) or gain compensation in draft picks if he signs elsewhere (nonexclusive only).

There are 2 types of franchise tags: exclusive and non-exclusive.

If the Pats put the exclusive tag on Cassel, then they have to pay him $15 million and he cannot negotiate with any other team.

If the Pats put the non-exclusive tag on Cassl, then Cassel is allowed to negotiate elsewhere and the Pats either have the right to match or get draft picks if he signs elsewhere.

The period to tag players and negotiate with FAs hasn't come yet.

You're being ridiculous if you believe that Cassel will give the Pats the mother-of-all discounts to stay a backup.

No.

You have to understand something: the franchise tag helps both the team and the player.

The franchise tag is guaranteed money for the player in exchange for the team to retain his rights either to keep him (exclusive or nonexclusive) or gain compensation in draft picks if he signs elsewhere (nonexclusive only).

There are 2 types of franchise tags: exclusive and non-exclusive.

If the Pats put the exclusive tag on Cassel, then they have to pay him $15 million and he cannot negotiate with any other team.

If the Pats put the non-exclusive tag on Cassl, then Cassel is allowed to negotiate elsewhere and the Pats either have the right to match or get draft picks if he signs elsewhere.

The period to tag players and negotiate with FAs hasn't come yet.

You're being ridiculous if you believe that Cassel will give the Pats the mother-of-all discounts to stay a backup.

I don't believe he will give them the mother of all discounts. I also don't believe the Patriots will tag him unless they know they can have him off the roster three days later.

I don't believe he will give them the mother of all discounts. I also don't believe the Patriots will tag him unless they know they can have him off the roster three days later.

This is kinda like saying you'll only play chicken if you know beforehand that the other guy is gonna swerve.

I think its pretty simple:

Cassell will make more as a starter for another team then as a backup for N.E.

Cassell can just as likely go deep into the playoffs with a team other than N.E.

Brady will not be retiring for at least 3 years and certainly won't be traded.

So again, why would Cassell stay in N.E.?

He won't ALK is just having fantasies.

Cassell can just as likely go deep into the playoffs with a team other than N.E.

A team that isn't the Patriots with Matt Cassel at quarterback is as likely to go deep into the playoffs as the Patriots with Tom Brady at quarterback? Defend please.

He won't ALK is just having fantasies.

About what? I have already said if they can tag him and get draft picks I'm all for it. Then again I'm all for them keeping him and trading Brady too. I just don't want them both on the roster getting paid starter money.

About what? I have already said if they can tag him and get draft picks I'm all for it. Then again I'm all for them keeping him and trading Brady too. I just don't want them both on the roster getting paid starter money.

I said fantasies because you brought up the "taking a back up rate" for a franchise tag. Interesting, you would be ok with trading Brady?

Alk, have you considered that they're doing this as an insurance policy? Albeit an expensive one. Either way you guys will end up winning somehow.

I said fantasies because you brought up the "taking a back up rate" for a franchise tag. Interesting, you would be ok with trading Brady?

Absolutely. I actually think it would be better for the team in the long run. IMO you would get more in exchange for Brady than with Cassel. Then they could use those picks to revamp their defense and have a younger QB.

A team that isn't the Patriots with Matt Cassel at quarterback is as likely to go deep into the playoffs as the Patriots with Tom Brady at quarterback? Defend please.

Well let's see whos in the Superbowl right now, Cards and Steelers.

Cards have a 40 year old QB who was never drafted leading them to the promised land. If Warner can get them there, Cassel could do the same.

Steelers have one of (if not) the best defense and Big Ben has pretty consistent as of late, but when he had bad days, his defense could pick up the slack and still win it for them. You cant tell me with Cassell in Big Bens place they wouldn't be in the Superbowl.

Just some other teams I believe Cassel could go to and get somewhere in the playoffs:

Vikings, Bears, Chargers, Jets, Titans, etc.

Just some other teams I believe Cassel could go to and get somewhere in the playoffs:

Vikings, Bears, Chargers, Jets, Titans, etc.

And any of those teams with Cassel would be just as likely to go deep into the playoffs as the Patriots with Brady?

Remember that phrase three posts from now when you're asking for odds.

Archived