Varitek swallows his pride; going back to Boston

Morrissey

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/45961-varitek-on-verge-of-two-year-deal-with-red-sox

Varitek on verge of two-year deal with Red Sox

Posted by: Jon Heyman

Jason Varitek is on the verge of agreeing to a two-year deal with Boston, SI.com has learned. The two sides have come to an agreement.

The 36-year-old catcher, who has served as Boston's official team captain since 2005, is coming off of the worst offensive season of his career, hitting just .220 with 43 RBIs in 131 games.

Good move for the Yankees.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is this a good for the Yankees...this is a plan by the Sox...2010 Mauer will be catching for the Sox. Then again, depending how Posada comes back from his throwing arm, Sox and Yanks could be bidding on Mauer and I doubt the Sox will let Mauer slip to the Yanks like what happened with Tex.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/01/varitek_sox_agr.html

Jason Varitek and the Red Sox have agreed to a one-year contract with an option, a baseball source confirmed to the Globe's Tony Massarotti.

Varitek will earn $5 million in 2009, with the club holding a $5 million option for 2010. If the Red Sox do not pick up that option, Varitek has the choice of remaining with the club on a $3 million deal. In '10, he can earn another $2 million in incentives based on playing time, beginning at 80 games started.

Thus, the potential total value of the deal increases from $8 million-$10 million to $10 million-$12 million. The incentives apply to both the team and player options for 2010.

How is this a good for the Yankees...this is a plan by the Sox...2010 Mauer will be catching for the Sox. Then again, depending how Posada comes back from his throwing arm, Sox and Yanks could be bidding on Mauer and I doubt the Sox will let Mauer slip to the Yanks like what happened with Tex.

It's good for the Yankees because Varitek sucks. I don't know what the Red Sox plans are, and I'm not too worried about 2011 in 2009. A lot can change from now and then, including Yankees catching prospects becoming big time players.

It's good for the Yankees because Varitek sucks. I don't know what the Red Sox plans are, and I'm not too worried about 2011 in 2009. A lot can change from now and then, including Yankees catching prospects becoming big time players.

TD, forget his hitting skills...he's a great pitcher manager...plus, it isn't 2011 that I'm thinking about, it's next year, 2010...he won't be catching for Boston next year, never mind 2011.

While I don't doubt that Varitek calls a great game and the Red Sox pitchers just might go gay for him, hitting .220 is still hitting .220.

If they were smart, they'd still pony up for Salty and instruct him to follow Varitek everywhere he goes and learn how to call a game from him.

Agree. Posada contract was horrible as well and has rewarded the Yanks with nothing so far but IMO he is the leader of that team.

Posada went on the DL for the first time in his career in 2008. He banked after a career year, but he's been head and shoulders better than most catchers for a long time now. The jury isn't out yet on that contract.

Varitek sucks.

He sucks at the plate but is arguably one of the best in the game behind the plate. His teammates have nothing but great things to say about him.

Can you name another active catcher that has been behind the plate for 4 no hitters and was one out away from another in 2007?

May 19, 2008: Jon Lester

Sept. 1, 2007: Clay Buchholz

April 27, 2002: Derek Lowe

April 4, 2001: Hideo Nomo

He sucks at the plate but is arguably one of the best in the game behind the plate. His teammates have nothing but great things to say about him.

Can you name another active catcher that has been behind the plate for 4 no hitters and was one out away from another in 2007?

So, when you say behind the plate, you strictly mean calling a game, because he's not very good at throwing runners out, or particularly good at blocking balls.

Posada went on the DL for the first time in his career in 2008. He banked after a career year, but he's been head and shoulders better than most catchers for a long time now. The jury isn't out yet on that contract.

Right it's a 5yr jury just like not trading Hughes for Johan is. Posada could have been signed b4 having that career year along with MO....Yanks misplayed that one comepletely and it cost them in dollars and years.

So, when you say behind the plate, you strictly mean calling a game, because he's not very good at throwing runners out, or particularly good at blocking balls.

Correct calling a game and you know enough to realize how valuable he is to the Sox staff. What he did with Dice last season was amazing. Plus he's got 2 rings in the last 5 years.;)

Actually, Varitek has caught more no-hitters/perfect games than any other catcher in baseball history. Quite a few have caught three including Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella and Charles Johnson.

I'm not sure how much this really helps the Sox out. Varitek handles the staff well, but he is going to be a liability in a lineup that isn't as good as it has been.

Actually, Varitek has caught more no-hitters/perfect games than any other catcher in baseball history. Quite a few have caught three including Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella and Charles Johnson.

I'm not sure how much this really helps the Sox out. Varitek handles the staff well, but he is going to be a liability in a lineup that isn't as good as it has been.

You want to take that back now and save face or you want me to prove you completely wrong first?

Remind me again how the Rex Sox having Varitek helps us (Yankees)? I just don't see it. Yes he is probably going to be a .220-.240 hitter, but with their lineup, they can afford one of those. He's one of the best defensive catchers in the game and is the best at working with his pitchers, better than anyone in the current game.

Power like or better then Ortiz...

Most scout say he has very little chance to stick behind the plate, but the Yankees are going to give him every chance.

Austin Romine probably has a better chance, and he's no slouch with the bat in his hand. We have 3 pretty good catching prospects.

Remind me again how the Rex Sox having Varitek helps us (Yankees)? I just don't see it. Yes he is probably going to be a .220-.240 hitter, but with their lineup, they can afford one of those. He's one of the best defensive catchers in the game and is the best at working with his pitchers, better than anyone in the current game.

Thank You Joe.

You have to excuse Tyler- nice kid, loves his baseball but a complete Yankee homer which is fine. We all have some of that when it comes to our teams. Very good for the forum based on what I saw of him on JI. Will go MIA though once rosy predictions AKA, Phil Hughes in 08 hit the skids.

If Varitek returns to 2007 form at the plate he is a great asset. We always hear about Yanks need to return to days of having key role players to return to their great 96-2000 run. Varitek on the Sox is just that with greater responsibilities of managing a staff in which most of his pitchers have inporoved under his game calling yet the old "need role players to be successfull" suddenly does not apply.

Power like or better then Ortiz...

At the minor league level. Besides, he will not end up a catcher in the ML.

17 hr's in 525 AB's at single A ball is not Ortiz power but the kid is just 18 and a fine prospect. Let's let him do something before annointing him the Yankees future catcher. I liken him more to Sandoval of the Giants with a littele more pop.

At the minor league level. Besides, he will not end up a catcher in the ML.

17 hr's in 525 AB's at single A ball is not Ortiz power but the kid is just 18 and a fine prospect. Let's let him do something before annointing him the Yankees future catcher. I liken him more to Sandoval of the Giants with a littele more pop.

He is from a Latin American country so he is probably 25. ;)

Archived