Lions keep Thanksgiving game for at least one more year

The Gun Of Bavaria

Sounds like the death blow to me...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090130/SPORTS0101/901300448

Lions keep Thanksgiving game for at least one more year

John Niyo / The Detroit News

TAMPA, Fla. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the Lions will host their annual Thanksgiving Day game in 2009, but offered no assurances Friday that tradition would continue beyond next season.

In his annual press conference at the Super Bowl, Goodell also said the league will not revise its television blackout policy, despite the struggling U.S. economy. Five of the Lions' last six home games last season weren't shown on local television due to non-sellouts at Ford Field.

"We will not," Goodell said. "The blackout policy is a longstanding policy in the NFL that has served the league well, served the public well. And I do not anticipate any changes with our blackout policy."

As for the Lions' annual Thanksgiving game, which dates back to 1934, Goodell said, "I understand it's a great tradition, both in Detroit and Dallas."

But, he admitted, there has been a push from some NFL owners in the past to rotate the game around the league. And with the NFL considering expanding the regular season to 17 or 18 games for 2010 and beyond, that could happen again soon. Especially in light of the Lions' recent struggles, as they've lost five in a row on Thanksgiving by an average of 23.4 points.

"It's something our owners have raised from time to time," Goodell said. "It will not change for this season. If the ownership feels that they want to discuss it as we get later into the year, we certainly will raise it."

Ugh! I love, and I mean I LOVE watching football on Thanksgiving morning. That's one of my favorite days of the year hanging out with my family, eating outstanding food and watching the best thing ever invented (football.)

I wish they would stop subjecting us to watching the worst team in the history of the league. I'm fine with keeping the Cowboys in their spot, but who actually cares about the Lions outside of their very small fan base?

We haven't had a good Thanksgiving game for a few years. Even that Packers-Lions game a couple years back sucked despite that it was for the division lead.

I say leave it as it is for the sake of domestic tranquilly.

Lions fans and their families either have a tradition of going to the game or not going to the game. But either way that tradition has been worked out.

Here is the problem with rotating:

Lets say you are Jets season ticket holder who has not missed a game in 12 years. You also have not missed Thanksgiving dinner at your mother-in-laws in 15 years of marriage.

Now all of a sudden Jets have a home game on Thanksgiving -- major fight. And that is going to occur to fans at every stadium every year.

If the NFL adopts this policy it could lead to a major surge in divorces.

In the past, the Lions were always playing on Thanksgiving because Ford and the Ford family dumped lots of ads in the NFL, which makes perfect sense.

With the state of the economy, and especially the Big Three auto's, the ad money has all but dried up - and so will their playing time come Thanksgiving. Nothing personal - Just Business...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFL dump the Lions after this season. They've shown they could care less about tradition and more about making a buck, and care even less about one of their teams struggling through the economic market.

As some mentioned before, they weren't complaining whatosever when Barry Sanders was playing in Detroit, and they sure as hell wouldn't pull the thanksgiving day game from Dallas if they went through 5 straight losing seasons the way Detroit did.

It's all about cut and run with the NFL nowadays.

I say leave it as it is for the sake of domestic tranquilly.

Lions fans and their families either have a tradition of going to the game or not going to the game. But either way that tradition has been worked out.

Here is the problem with rotating:

Lets say you are Jets season ticket holder who has not missed a game in 12 years. You also have not missed Thanksgiving dinner at your mother-in-laws in 15 years of marriage.

Now all of a sudden Jets have a home game on Thanksgiving -- major fight. And that is going to occur to fans at every stadium every year.

If the NFL adopts this policy it could lead to a major surge in divorces.

You actually just proved the case for rotating the game. :winking0001:

Totally disagree. Time for the league to evolve and stop showing sucky games in prime time.

I totally agree with you Maximus.

If they can rotate crappy match-ups out of prime time late in the year, this game should be no exception.

Give the Boyz and Lions a standard to meet. If they are good the previous season, give them the game like the Boyz would earn next year. If they are not like the Lions over this decade, give it to the Superbowl Champ as a reward.

Think a Steelers vs Ravens Thanksgiving Day game would not get good ratings compared to the Lions versus anybody.

Ugh! I love, and I mean I LOVE watching football on Thanksgiving morning. That's one of my favorite days of the year hanging out with my family, eating outstanding food and watching the best thing ever invented (football.)

I wish they would stop subjecting us to watching the worst team in the history of the league. I'm fine with keeping the Cowboys in their spot, but who actually cares about the Lions outside of their very small fan base?

We haven't had a good Thanksgiving game for a few years. Even that Packers-Lions game a couple years back sucked despite that it was for the division lead.

No difference putting the Dolphags:bag: or Lions on Thanksgiving, they each have had a fluke season like the Dolphags:bag: had last year every once in a while. The last team I want to play on Thanksgiving is the Jets, I would rather be home with my family then at the stadium at the game. It is great watching other teams play on Thanksgiving.

It looks like the NFL is going to take the game away from the Lions but doesn't want to appear to be kicking them while they are down and reeling from a no win season.

So the NFL gives them the game 2009, then plants the suggestion that this might be the last pending discussions "later in the year". Then the NFL goes to some kind of equitable sharing, whether a rotating game or a reward for the SuperBowl, so it doesn't look like they are pushing the Lions aside for a more successful or popular team.

Watch-they'll do this then the Lions will win SuperBowls and get a national following.

Forget about the Lions sucking, it's ridiculous that TWO NFC teams host Thanksgiving Day games. Seriously. It should be one from each conference. I'm surprised AFC teams have not complained. This change will be a long time coming.

I'm for keeping the Cowboys because they're the Cowboys, but the other game should be played in an AFC team's home stadium.

Forget about the Lions sucking, it's ridiculous that TWO NFC teams host Thanksgiving Day games. Seriously. It should be one from each conference. I'm surprised AFC teams have not complained. This change will be a long time coming.

I'm for keeping the Cowboys because they're the Cowboys, but the other game should be played in an AFC team's home stadium.

Great point.

Screw them. They haven't won crap in a long time. Why should we have to watch them?

The Lions have been playing on Thanksgiving for over 70 years. The Cowboys have been playing on Thanksgiving since they realized there was a buck to be made. I'm just sick of the NFL bending over for the Cowboys and their bandwagon.

If Detroit loses the game, then the Cowpies have to also.

Well that leaves out both the Jets and the Bengals doesn't it?

Pretty much, but I don't mind that. They should try and schedule it with powerhouse teams playing. Teams that are good almost every year--Steelers, Patriots, etc. should play. I like the idea of the two previous Super Bowl teams hosting/playing in the game.

Archived