2009: The year of Electronic Rock

Jetlag

So far there have already been two awesome electronic/dance/rock albums produced. Piggy backing on what started in 2008 with some really good stuff in the same genre. If you have a pulse you'll be tapping your feet to all of these.

The two albums are Franz Ferdinand - Tonight and Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion.

Franz Ferdinand ~ Ulysses I'm obsessed with this song. It's not hard to see why.

31sZ9xZr_Ew

Franz Ferdinand ~ Can't Stop Feeling

v3Yv2Juq4gI

Animal Collective ~ My Girls Holy crap this video is trippy.

zol2MJf6XNE

Animal Collective ~ Brother Sport Who else can pull this off? The end of this song has me hooked.

97pTru6yykM

You guys suck. Go back to your formulaic radio crap.

This is ahead of the curve stuff here.

Why do you assume that people who don't listen to your crap automatically listen to the "formulaic radio crap"?

The first song has a somewhat catchy beat, until Franz starts singing. Oh my. The second song's beat blows. Same with the singing. Third song's beat sucks. And the fourth one sounds like someone was forced to make thirty random noises and then they crammed it into a song. There's just too much going on, and it sucks.

I've never been the biggest Animal Collective fan, but the new one's grown on me a little bit simply because there's some decent shoegaze intertwined with all of the experimental stuff. I can definitely understand why the reviews have been through the roof though.

The album you want to keep an ear out for this year is Obits, which comes out in March from Sub Pop. Solid, no nonsense alternative band...they're a good throwback to the early 90's. There's some live bootlegs floating around if you search hard enough, but this is their first studio album. I saw them live a while back and they're ****ing awesome.

New Von Bondies that comes out on Tuesday sounds like it's solid from the few tracks I've heard, and the Bon Iver EP that came out last week is decent. Two good tracks and two meh ones IMO.

Of course, none of the above are electronic bands, but Burial set the bar ridiculously high and it's hard for me to like most of the new electronic stuff that comes out now.

You guys suck. Go back to your formulaic radio crap.

This is ahead of the curve stuff here.

Franz Ferdinand is "ahead of the curve?" Electronic rock has been around for almost a decade, maybe you might have heard of Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory came out only 9 years ago.

Oh, and some of those songs truly are the suck, but to each his own;)

Franz Ferdinand is "ahead of the curve?" Electronic rock has been around for almost a decade, maybe you might have heard of Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory came out only 9 years ago.

Franz Ferdinand was ahead of the curve because they were ripping off Joy Division when everybody else was still ripping off the Velvet Underground because the Strokes ripped off the Velvet Underground.

Linkin Park was ahead of the curve too though. They paved the way for Incubus by demonstrating that you can **** turntables in the ass with a guitar.

I hate music.

I'll go so far as to say electronic rock has been around since 1982. The synthesizer destroyed all that was good and decent about music. Funny how the new electro bands have the same rediculous hairstyles as the old. Now, like a flock of seagulls, I'll run-run so far away...from this thread.

I've never been the biggest Animal Collective fan, but the new one's grown on me a little bit simply because there's some decent shoegaze intertwined with all of the experimental stuff. I can definitely understand why the reviews have been through the roof though.

The album you want to keep an ear out for this year is Obits, which comes out in March from Sub Pop. Solid, no nonsense alternative band...they're a good throwback to the early 90's. There's some live bootlegs floating around if you search hard enough, but this is their first studio album. I saw them live a while back and they're ****ing awesome.

New Von Bondies that comes out on Tuesday sounds like it's solid from the few tracks I've heard, and the Bon Iver EP that came out last week is decent. Two good tracks and two meh ones IMO.

Of course, none of the above are electronic bands, but Burial set the bar ridiculously high and it's hard for me to like most of the new electronic stuff that comes out now.

ilisten.jpg

Nothing is worse in the music listening community that the "Music Snobs". Those are the people who think:

1) My music is better than yours.

2) I was a fan of them before you were.

3) If I don't like your music, it's because I have taste. If you don't like my music, it's because you're stupid, Besides, I liked my music before you liked my music so I'm a better, more truer fan than you.

Blah Blah Blah

Nothing is worse in the music listening community that the "Music Snobs". Those are the people who think:

3) If I don't like your music, it's because I have taste. If you don't like my music, it's because you're stupid, Besides, I liked my music before you liked my music so I'm a better, more truer fan than you.

Blah Blah Blah

Didn't you, in effect, do that in another thread today by saying Springsteen sucks?

Blah Blah Blah

Agreed.

However, me and my horse think the music posted was AWFUL. We can't beleive people listen to that sh*t.

Didn't you, in effect, do that in another thread today by saying Springsteen sucks?

Apparently when you signed up at JN, you never read your JN Code of Conduct and signed the accompanying agreement.

Section II, Paragraph A, sub paragraph 1 states:

" The moderators are always right, even when in appearance, they and/or their opinions may be deemed by select members as incorrect"

:lol:

I like some of Franz Ferdinands stuff.

I completely agree with G.O.B's post. There is nothing more pointless than criticising someones taste in music. You either like something or you don't. It's pretty simple. There is no good or bad and there is no right or wrong. People will take to different things. There is no such thing as 'bad' taste in music. I like all sorts of different ****.

Franz Ferdinand was ahead of the curve because they were ripping off Joy Division when everybody else was still ripping off the Velvet Underground because the Strokes ripped off the Velvet Underground.

Linkin Park was ahead of the curve too though. They paved the way for Incubus by demonstrating that you can **** turntables in the ass with a guitar.

I hate music.

Incubus was releasing music long before LP came onto the scene. Much of their earlier stuff was their best too. I definitely recommend listening to "S.C.I.E.N.C.E.". Came out in 97'. Great f'ing cd that is pretty much psychedelic rock with some great tunes.

I've just gotten into the Indy scene a year and a half ago. One of the first albums I heard was Strawberry Jam. Although I never loved it, the album in general caught my ear in how different it was. Ever since I've been trying to catch up using one of my friends and Pitchfork. Anyway I'll definitely keep an eye for that other stuff you mentioned. BTW I finally decided to give Fleet Foxes a legit chance and have to say I like it a lot, not sure if that's your thing or not.

As for everyone else who was critical, in hindsight this thread was presented all wrong and my added comment is not going to help out either. The Animal Collective album is an acquired taste but IMO it's ingenious stuff. The Franz Ferdinand album is filled with a decent amount of catchy beats that created a good disc.

In general I still feel there is merit to my original hypothesis. There's a lot of electronic intertwined with almost every style now and it's base is actually right in our neighborhood in Brooklyn. I will continue to post "crappy" music in this thread through out the year. That is all.

• 1 month later...

Blah Blah Blah

you can use the same formula for draft picks

Archived