Should the Jets play the offseason by the book for a change?

FranchiseCorner24

Our lack of depth at dline is scary. You guys saw how much of a difference it made when Jenkins started to get tired down the stretch.

I would love to have an exciting pick like Jeremy Maclin, Mark Sanchez, Percy Harvin, Chris Wells, and Knowshon Moreno but the best pick we could make might be Tyson Jackson from LSU.

IMO...

I think the Jets should draft

1. Tyson Jackson- a rare 3-4 DE prospect.. Could be Richard Seymour or could be Marcus Spears.. Was very productive in college, and is worth the risk IMO

2. Ron Brace- Another 3-4 NT prospect that is being mentioned. I often question dlineman that play next stars... Look at Lawson and McCargo.. but Brace looks to be a definite upgrade over Sione Pouha

I'm pretty sure that we have a pick in every round in this draft including two fourth round picks.

There will be some pretty good WR's available late IMO... Brian Robiskie, Louis Murphy, Quan Cosby, etc.. we can also draft a bruiser type HB in Rashad Jennings.

Maybe in Free Agency Ryan brings over Jim Lehonord and Bart Scott..

We sign a vet like Byron Leftwich and give him the opportunity to start. Lets also not forget there are always some surprise cuts.

Either if we can net a couple of good dlineman it will go a long way into helping our high priced underperforming LB's Pace, Thomas, and Gholston.

Lets finish the foundation of the team this season....

Let Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge, and a veteran not named Favre battle it out

Give Coles one final chance as a go to option... I think he is the type of guy that will perform well with money on the line.

Assume that Jones has one more year left

Give Lowery and opportunity to win the starting job

I know this offseason may not be sexy, but it may be the best option in the long run.

At the very least if they are bad we will truly know what we have in Clemens, Ratliff, and Ainge

We also will be in much better shape to rebuild and probably have a higher draft picks.

Coles will be a problem if we don't address his contract (in the way he wants it addressed) before the season starts. The Jets didn't guarantee the last 2 years in March of 2008 to be nice. They did it because they knew he'd be a nagging problem in the locker room and in the press. In Coles' mind, the Jets "promised" him something for 2008 and he'll expect them to make good on that "promise" to satiate his greed. He will not be the good soldier who plays out the year full-speed to "earn" a new contract that he thinks he has already earned (and been promised).

They can cut him if he lets them out of the contract, which he might very well do if he can earn his walking papers to test the FA market. I'm not totally sure about that, but since all contracts can be rewritten for more (or less) money, I'm sure his can be rewritten to remove the "guaranteed" language as well. I don't know of any special CBA rule that says this one type of clause - and ONLY this one type of clause - can never be reversed with a new contract.

Lowery will need real competition other than another mid-late round rookie. Otherwise an "opportunity to win the starting job" is no different than simply handing it to him outright.

While the Jets clearly need some depth behind Jenkins, they need starters at other positions (CB, WR, ILB, S, QB) a hell of a lot more than a rookie backup NT.

JMO.

Coles will be a problem if we don't address his contract (in the way he wants it addressed) before the season starts. The Jets didn't guarantee the last 2 years in March of 2008 to be nice. They did it because they knew he'd be a nagging problem in the locker room and in the press. In Coles' mind, the Jets "promised" him something for 2008 and he'll expect them to make good on that "promise" to satiate his greed. He will not be the good soldier who plays out the year full-speed to "earn" a new contract that he thinks he has already earned (and been promised).

They can cut him if he lets them out of the contract, which he might very well do if he can earn his walking papers to test the FA market. I'm not totally sure about that, but since all contracts can be rewritten for more (or less) money, I'm sure his can be rewritten to remove the "guaranteed" language as well. I don't know of any special CBA rule that says this one type of clause - and ONLY this one type of clause - can never be reversed with a new contract.

Lowery will need real competition other than another mid-late round rookie. Otherwise an "opportunity to win the starting job" is no different than simply handing it to him outright.

While the Jets clearly need some depth behind Jenkins, they need starters at other positions (CB, WR, ILB, S, QB) a hell of a lot more than a rookie backup NT.

JMO.

I agree with this. We really REALLY need a WR that can stretch the field. The guys on our roster just CANNOT get it done and getting a guy like that will only help the receiving corps. If we do not take care of the Favre/Coles situation we wont' be able to look to address some of these issues through FA.

I agree with this. We really REALLY need a WR that can stretch the field. The guys on our roster just CANNOT get it done and getting a guy like that will only help the receiving corps. If we do not take care of the Favre/Coles situation we wont' be able to look to address some of these issues through FA.

Tannenbaum did his due diligence with getting his in-the-trench guys. There's still room for improvement, but it's not like we're starting Adrien Clarke and Anthony Clement and DRob anymore.

We could still stand to get some improvement at DE, but it's not a barren wasteland of CJ Mosely on one side and someone even worse on the other.

Putting aside the Favre/Clemens/Ratliff/Ainge/whoever stuff for now, at this point the Jets need starters at ILB and CB and S. They also need a WR who can get open better, and preferably with some better height than Cotchery's towering 6-foot-zero and no up's.

Tannenbaum did his due diligence with getting his in-the-trench guys. There's still room for improvement, but it's not like we're starting Adrien Clarke and Anthony Clement and DRob anymore.

We could still stand to get some improvement at DE, but it's not a barren wasteland of CJ Mosely on one side and someone even worse on the other.

Putting aside the Favre/Clemens/Ratliff/Ainge/whoever stuff for now, at this point the Jets need starters at ILB and CB and S. They also need a WR who can get open better, and preferably with some better height than Cotchery's towering 6-foot-zero and no up's.

Also the other consideration is on our defensive needs is how pressing they will be if Rex Ryan is able to replicate his success due to his intelligence/game planning. If our D fall flat on its face next year it's safe to say he was a product of great players in Baltimore. For me a WR is our biggest need, we haven't had a deep threat since Santana Moss IMO. I'll take tall as well, but burner speed I'll take as well.

Also the other consideration is on our defensive needs is how pressing they will be if Rex Ryan is able to replicate his success due to his intelligence/game planning. If our D fall flat on its face next year it's safe to say he was a product of great players in Baltimore. For me a WR is our biggest need, we haven't had a deep threat since Santana Moss IMO. I'll take tall as well, but burner speed I'll take as well.

It's not how fast they are; it's how much separation they can get. And it's not the same thing. Larry Fitzgerald isn't lightning-fast (by NFL standards). He gets separation. Ditto T.O., and more recently guys like Brandon Marshall and Marques Colston.

But Troy Williamson and Chad Jackson sure did run fast at the combine.

Need more than just straightaway speed. Otherwise all you've got is Lam Jones.

It's not how fast they are; it's how much separation they can get. And it's not the same thing. Larry Fitzgerald isn't lightning-fast (by NFL standards). He gets separation. Ditto T.O., and more recently guys like Brandon Marshall and Marques Colston.

That's true, I misused the term. I meant to say "breakaway speed". Clowney might be fast but if he gets muscled at the line he needs to know how to fight through that. Fitz is so unique because he can time his jumps so well and is strong enough to fight through any secondary players attempt at knocking him off his route.

Physical freak and he had one catch this year. His first since 2006. :confused:

At that rate, he will break 20 career receptions in 2020.

That's true, I misused the term. I meant to say "breakaway speed". Clowney might be fast but if he gets muscled at the line he needs to know how to fight through that. Fitz is so unique because he can time his jumps so well and is strong enough to fight through any secondary players attempt at knocking him off his route.

Agreed. I don't care what his 40-time is. Some "slow" guys like Fitz have it, and some speed demons like Troy Williamson and his 4.32 (or whatever it was) don't. Some guys like Calvin Johnson have both. Scary what he might be with a good QB.

Agreed. I don't care what his 40-time is. Some "slow" guys like Fitz have it, and some speed demons like Troy Williamson and his 4.32 (or whatever it was) don't. Some guys like Calvin Johnson have both. Scary what he might be with a good QB.

Megatron will be legit all-time great when that team gets him a good QB.

As for us, we essentially need a quality guy who can get down field and make plays.

You forgot to mention that the great geniuses in NE, who no one in the media questions, actually traded UP to get him.

:sign0090:

What makes it worse is they had made the same mistake with Bethel Johnson. Hoping their receiving skills would catch-up to incredible physical gifts.

Tyson Jackson blows, and is not your prototypical 3-4 DE prospect. I actually think you're more likely to find your prototypical 3-4 DE at DT in college. A prototypical 3-4 DE prospect is someone like Oderick at Penn, Oghobaase at Duke, or Heyward at Ohio St. that are tall, long, strong, and athletic enough to do more than just anchor...though they'll also be excellent anchors.

I realize I probably underrate him, but I think his motor sucks, his strength is overrated, and that he gets the praise he gets because he happens to be 6'5 295 or whatever.

I also believe that as good an anchor as Brace is, he isn't athletic or versatile enough for anyone to use a second on him. Think Gabe Watson...he'll eat space and whatever else you want him to eat, but asking him to do more is stretching it. I don't think it's a bad thing, because you can make a damn nice career out of that.

I'm getting my suspicions that Luis Murphy will rise all the way to the second. I like him better than Chad Jackson, which I don't doubt for a second he'll be compared to on this board. I also think that he'll be a very kickass pro receiver.

That said...I have no idea what a "by the book" offseason is.

JMO.

I disagree to an extent. I don't think its a 1st round need but I think they need to look hard at a guy like Brace after the 1st because we have nothing behind Jenkins and we all saw the dropoff when he wasn't right. Our defense won't work without a strong presence at NT so we need someone capable to step in if Jenkins ever went down or, at worst, keep him fresh.

I disagree to an extent. I don't think its a 1st round need but I think they need to look hard at a guy like Brace after the 1st because we have nothing behind Jenkins and we all saw the dropoff when he wasn't right. Our defense won't work without a strong presence at NT so we need someone capable to step in if Jenkins ever went down or, at worst, keep him fresh.

Maybe. And maybe that position (backup NT) can be filled via FA with a Grady Jackson type. Or maybe Gabe Watson if Arizona only gives him the low RFA tender, which would be a 4th round pick for him. Colin Cole from GB would also fit the mold. It's not necessary to burn a 2nd rounder on a backup when our current starter is under contract for 4 more years and - yes, when healthy - is as good as they come.

Maybe. And maybe that position (backup NT) can be filled via FA with a Grady Jackson type. Or maybe Gabe Watson if Arizona only gives him the low RFA tender, which would be a 4th round pick for him. Colin Cole from GB would also fit the mold. It's not necessary to burn a 2nd rounder on a backup when our current starter is under contract for 4 more years and - yes, when healthy - is as good as they come.

If Watson only requires a 4th, I hope Rex pulls the trigger.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that Watson has turned himself into a good player. Hopefully under the "Rexy will make you Sexy" program he learns to play a little manlier than he does now.

That's a good point about Watson I didn't know that. I'd have no problems with someone like that but I don't like the idea of a Grady Jackson type. I'd prefer a young guy, hence why I like Brace, since Jenkins isn't the youngest guy in the world, the player could be the future replacement, I'd like someone who is improving not declining, and young NTs that aren't projects aren't the easiest things in the world to find.

Archived