Mets, Koufax an dother sports celebs nailed by Madoff

SouthernJet

Hall of Famer Koufax, Mets' Wilpon among those swindled by Madoff

A court filing revealed Sandy Koufax invested with Bernard Madoff

The Hall of Famer is among many affiliated with the Mets in the papers

Prosecutors say Madoff lost more than $50 billion belonging to investors

p1.sandy_koufax.si.jpg

Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax was among the bigger names on the list of potential victims of the Ponzi scheme run by Bernard Madoff.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax, a high school baseball teammate and friend of New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon, was among the clients who invested with Bernard Madoff, according to a court filing released Wednesday night.

More than two dozen accounts involving the Mets, their owners and companies affiliated with their owners were listed, many with addresses at Shea Stadium.

Koufax attended Lafayette High School along with Wilpon in the 1950s and the two remain close. Koufax usually shows up each year at the Mets' spring training complex in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

Tim Teufel also was on the list. The former Mets infielder was hired this week as manager of their St. Lucie farm team in the Florida State League.

Other names on the list matching those of sports figures are Norman Braman, former owner of the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles, and Bob Nystrom, a former player on the NHL's New York Islanders.

Among the entities that had accounts with Madoff were Sterling Mets, the Mets Limited Partnership, the New York Mets Foundation and Sterling Doubleday -- the entity that owned the team when Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday were partners.

No amounts were listed in the filing, made in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan.

Fred Wilpon and his wife, Judy, had accounts individually, as did Fred's brother Richard and Saul Katz, the owner's brother-in-law. Katz is the Mets' team president.

Also with accounts were Jeff Wilpon, Fred Wilpon's son and the team's chief operating officer; Valerie Wilpon, Jeff's wife; and Robin Wilpon Wachtler, Jeff's sister.

Charitable foundations of Fred and Judy Wilpon, and of Jeff and Valerie Wilpon were listed along with several Wilpon family trusts.

Brooklyn Baseball Company, the Mets-controlled company that owns the minor league Brooklyn Cyclones, also was on the list along with Coney Island Baseball.

Prosecutors claim Madoff admitted he lost more than $50 billion belonging to investors. Defense lawyers say he has cooperated with authorities to help identify assets.

The Mets have not said how much the entities and individuals have lost. Jeff Wilpon said in December the money can be replenished over time as the operating businesses generate profits.

"The individual partners lost some money at Madoff. It doesn't affect the Mets. It doesn't affect the Citi Field project. It doesn't affect SNY or any of our other operating businesses," Jeff Wilpon said.

oh yea and you don't even need 6 degrees of separation to connect Bernie Madoff to Kevin Bacon-him and his wife Kyra Sedgwick got nailed by that scumbag MFer-he needs to die.

One positive note; some PO'd Palm Beach kids have been TPing his house

oh yea and you don't even need 6 degrees of separation to connect Bernie Madoff to Kevin Bacon-him and his wife Kyra Sedgwick got nailed by that scumbag MFer-he needs to die.

One positive note; some PO'd Palm Beach kids have been TPing his house

ya, becaue thier parents got zinged and they now have to go to Hawaii for Spring Break as opposed to Riviera

I also heard larry king is tryin to get him on his show for the full hour as well ;)

what do you make of the guy tryin to warn everyone since 2000 about this guy?

will that story get buried so no one looks bad?

I saw that a few times on MSNBC yesterday jw-that guy was PISSED-he knew about it a decade ago and tried to get the last administration to do something about it to no avail...

I saw that a few times on MSNBC yesterday jw-that guy was PISSED-he knew about it a decade ago and tried to get the last administration to do something about it to no avail...

The story has been making the rounds here too. What a crime that no one listened to him. I hope to see that POS Madoff behind bars in the not too distant future.

The story has been making the rounds here too. What a crime that no one listened to him. I hope to see that POS Madoff behind bars in the not too distant future.

what gets me TJ is they'll throw any average non-zillionaire in jail for stealing a few hundred dollars while this POS is allowed to live somewhat free with his chef and housekeepers in his apt in NYC...

what gets me TJ is they'll throw any average non-zillionaire in jail for stealing a few hundred dollars while this POS is allowed to live somewhat free with his chef and housekeepers in his apt in NYC...

I know I know. It pisses me off no end. Money talks as they say. :(

Everyone on the SEC needs to fired, makes you think these people were in on this. Its really unbelievable, also you should check the local pawn shops around the area Palm Beachers are pawning their stuff left and right. Just sayin...

Everyone on the FCC needs to fired, makes you think these people were in on this. Its really unbelievable, also you should check the local pawn shops around the area Palm Beachers are pawning their stuff left and right. Just sayin...

I don't think its just palm beach rillo. things are tough & gettin tougher

translation: he's in amsterdam again & still doesn't wanna tell sj. :mrgreen:

hope he gets all his company due dilligence travel in before the little one arrives

ya, he re-arranged some stuff already,,traded a China trip to someone cause its during due date..he got Paris instead,,

Trust me I know, I just read about the Palm Beach'ers who were caught up with Madoff and are pawning their stuff.

when I originally heard about this my friend told me the Ponzi scheme was based down here and hurting a LOT of people around PB County. They showed a room full of victims from Boca on the news too in a meeting about what THEY can do

Archived