Peter King says Favre will not play this year

DMaynard

No link, I just heard them mention it this morning on ESPN radio. They said that King was asked if he thought Favre would play this year, and he reportedly did not hesitate and flat out said no.

Now I know this is third hand and I can't stand King as much as anybody, but we all know King does has contact with Favre and it makes sense to me. I think Woody and Mr. T are letting the drama queen take his time with a "decision" that has already been made. In the meantime they will try to make some FA moves that will excite Jet fans and lessen the trama when Favre announces his retirement.

If true, I think this is great news. Let's build a dominating defense.

• Upvote 1

No link, I just heard them mention it this morning on ESPN radio. They said that King was asked if he thought Favre would play this year, and he reportedly did not hesitate and flat out said no.

Now I know this is third hand and I can't stand King as much as anybody, but we all know King does has contact with Favre and it makes sense to me. I think Woody and Mr. T are letting the drama queen take his time with a "decision" that has already been made. In the meantime they will try to make some FA moves that will excite Jet fans and lessen the trama when Favre announces his retirement.

If true, I think this is great news. Let's build a dominating defense.

My goodness, from his mouth to God's ears!!!! Please, please let it be true!!

until anything is official not believing it...again King has less than zero credibility

We are talking about Favre here. If he announced today himself that he was retiring, it would not be "final". And yes, King is a douche, but I do believe he manages to burrow into Favre's a$$ as much as anyone.

Anyone know the date by which he can change his mind, un-retire like he did with GB, & hit our cap? Is there a cutoff date? Or can he say on September 4th, "I got the itch again," and the Jets have to either release him then or instantly clear $13M off the cap?

I guess by then our starting QB will be in place for the season, whoever it is, and we'd just release him then (barring us finding a non-Minnesota trade partner within 24 hours or something).

I don't think there is a cutoff date. For as long as the Jets retain his rights, I believe he has the right to say he'd like to come back and get paid.

I believe that you are correct, which means the Jets would have to then release him (or free enough to get below the cap for the upcoming season).

Edited by JohnnyHector

I believe that you are correct, which means the Jets would have to then release him (or free enough to get below the cap for the upcoming season).

I am not sure what the process is, however, if the retirement paperwork has been filed and processed, to be reinstated.

There is a certain date by which the salary cap figure is set and by which teams have to be at or under that figure.

Does anybody remember what that date is?

So, if that date is after the free agency period starts, the Jets can sign any player they want and then cut anybody they have to to get at or under the cap.

So, for example, if they believe Favre is retiring, they can sign Ray Lewis and somebody esle for $10 million combined in 2009 and then cut Favre, if he's still waffling, on the day the Jets have to be at or under the cap.

In otherwords, the Jets can be over the cap now and until the cutdown day and not have any problems.

There is a certain date by which the salary cap figure is set and by which teams have to be at or under that figure.

So, if that date is after the free agency period starts, the Jets can sign any player they want and then cut anybody they have to to get at or under the cap.

So, for example, if they believe Favre is retiring, they can sign Ray Lewis and somebody esle for $10 million combined in 2009 and then cut Favre, if he's still waffling, on the day the Jets have to be at or under the cap.

In otherwords, the Jets can be over the cap now and until the cutdown day and not have any problems.

Fact???

That is good news if so...

That date would be the date free agency starts. It's just the top 50 (or so?) players at this time of year that count, though. Still, no way they could have Favre on the roster and sign a free agent.

Favre's not off their cap until he files his retirement papers or gets cut. That's why the Jets need an answer from him before the end of the month.

• Upvote 1

Fact???

That is good news if so...

I believe so.

There is a certain league calendar day in which all teams have to be in compliance with the cap. I don't know what that day is, though, and whether it is before or after the start of FA.

If it's before FA then, of course, the Jets would need a definate cap decision with Favre otherwise they need to cut players to be in complaince.

That date would be the date free agency starts. It's just the top 50 (or so?) players at this time of year that count, though. Still, no way they could have Favre on the roster and sign a free agent.

Favre's not off their cap until he files his retirement papers or gets cut. That's why the Jets need an answer from him before the end of the month.

You do not have to comply until the season gets closer I think... you can be way over heading into camp I would assume...

Teams have to be under the cap by March 1st. I also believe that only the 51 highest salaries on the roster count against the cap in the offseason.

I believe that Favre's contract ($13m) counts against the Jets' cap until he officially retires.

Beat me to it...

Feb 22nd - Deadline to designate franchise/transition players

Feb 27th - Free Agency begins

Mar 1st - Teams must be under salary cap (top 51 players)

just cut his asss and be done with it. Who cares really.

We need some help on defense and Favre isn't worth > 10% of our cap on the field..

i know that if the jets traded him to the vikes.. we would owe gb all sorts of draft picks.. but if we cut him and then he signs with the vikes.. do we owe gb anything?

i know that if the jets traded him to the vikes.. we would owe gb all sorts of draft picks.. but if we cut him and then he signs with the vikes.. do we owe gb anything?

That would not be possible if the JETS did not facilitate it...

He should take 3 million... thats all he is worth at the MOST...

The other QB's might be just as capable of throwng Intercepts,but Favre brings much more than that to the table.The man loves to play the game and loves to win.He has a lot of expierence at his position and dont forget about that arm that can throw to any position on the field at any time,Favre dont have to "set" like other QB's.That opens up the D for other things.Teams come after Favre a lot more than they do other QB's'because they half to to win.Your other choices at the QB position wont throw as many intercepts because the D arnt as afraid of them.

Who will be your dog next year to kick after you are 3 and 13 again without Favre?GB might be able to help you out with that answere...

The other QB's might be just as capable of throwng Intercepts,but Favre brings much more than that to the table.The man loves to play the game and loves to win.He has a lot of expierence at his position and dont forget about that arm that can throw to any position on the field at any time,Favre dont have to "set" like other QB's.That opens up the D for other things.Teams come after Favre a lot more than they do other QB's'because they half to to win.Your other choices at the QB position wont throw as many intercepts because the D arnt as afraid of them.

Who will be your dog next year to kick after you are 3 and 13 again without Favre?GB might be able to help you out with that answere...

Favre crippled the team with INT's... when he threw picks the JETS lost... it was that simple,... and he didnt throw enough TD's to offset the picks... when the JETS lost he threw twice as many INTs as he did TDs... take awy his 6 TD game against the Cards D and he had an epicly bad year...