Buyer Beware: Jets Should Not Pursue Ray Lewis

Maxman

He will not help the JETS for more than one season... they need a young leader not an old guy who is looking for his last big payday... think about how much and how long they paid Cmart after he was done/gone...

He has been around for a couple others then too huh?

Yes he has faced a few.

I think he can give the Jets 2 very solid years. And like I said in an early post, he is infectious. Hopefully that can spread into players like Harris and Gholston plus the new class.

Look, I dont think its going to happen either way and Im not saying this HAS to happen. Im just saying I think it works for 2 years because Ray has still got that in him.

For the record, I would probably be just as happy if we landed Bart Scott.

Yes he has faced a few.

I think he can give the Jets 2 very solid years. And like I said in an early post, he is infectious. Hopefully that can spread into players like Harris and Gholston plus the new class.

Look, I dont think its going to happen either way and Im not saying this HAS to happen. Im just saying I think it works for 2 years because Ray has still got that in him.

For the record, I would probably be just as happy if we landed Bart Scott.

Now your losing it... just as happy????? How about 10x happier!

Ray Lewis will demand twice the money he is worth... it happens every year... 2 or 3 old guys get WAY overpaid...

I wouldn't freak out since Ray still has some left in the tank and if its a 3 year deal that's not too horrible, but its generally not a good idea to try and solve your problems with overpriced old guys on the downside of their careers. Unless of course you have almost no weaknesses which is obviously not the case with us.

Yesterday Rich Cimini wrote:

It would be a tremendous mistake for the Jets to sign Ray Lewis. The man is an all-timer, but he's 34 and the Jets need to break the cycle of signing past-their-prime legends. It doesn't work. They tried it many years ago with Ronnie Lott and they tried it with Brett Favre. The risk (and the long-term cap implications) outweighs the potential reward. They would get a year or two out of Lewis, but anything short of a Super Bowl would be deemed a failure. Plus, it wouldn't be the same for Lewis. He'd be out of his comfort zone and he wouldn't have his "guys" around him. (Also, does anybody honestly think he'd come to the Jets? The man wants to stay in Baltimore.)

The Jets have a new coach, a promising coach, and they need to think long term. They have cap issues this year, and they're going to have some big players coming up for free agency in a year or two - Leon Washington, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, David Harris, et al. Save the money for them. The Jets should worry about developing their own Ray Lewises instead of trying to steal fading versions of the originals.

Archived