2009 Ticket Prices: No Increase

Maxman

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spjets076027243feb07,0,4702549.story

BY NEIL BEST |neil.best@newsday.com February 7, 2009 The Jets will not raise ticket prices for the 2009 season, the team's executive VP for business operations, Matt Higgins, said Friday.

"We recognize these are unprecedented, challenging times," he said. "A lot of people are facing their own challenges, and a lot of them are our fans. So it really came down to the simple decision of this was the right thing to do."

The last time the Jets did not raise prices was between the 2001 and '02 seasons, in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

"It wasn't much of a decision at all, to be quite honest with you," Higgins said. "Mr. [Woody] Johnson felt strongly that it just is the right thing to do."

Ticket invoices will go out to season subscribers in the next week or two.

The Giants have not yet announced their prices for 2009 but they, too, are expected to keep them at '08 levels. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that three-quarters of teams will keep prices flat this year.

The Jets' prices for the 2010 season, the first in the new Jets/Giants stadium, already have been set and in many cases will include substantial increases over comparable seats in the current stadium.

Higgins said the team is in the early stages of selling personal seat licenses for the new stadium. Season ticket-holders with the most seniority currently are being offered their choice of club seats.

Once club seats are sold, the process will re-start for other seats, again in order of seniority.

Higgins said about 90 percent of fans have expressed interest in using the team's 15-year financing plan to pay for their PSLs.

Oh yea, Woody Johnson, the great philanthropist. :rolleyes:

That's nonsense, he didn't raise prices because no one would pay not because it was "the right thing to do".

I think nobody wanting to pay for it made it the right thing to do.

Why are you guys bitching? Johnson could have raised prices, and even charged for PSL's on the upper deck...but he didn't. I know he's a turd, but at the same time, he's not a COMPLETE scumbag. It was a smart move. If he didn't do that, then...well...people would be really pissed.

Why are you guys bitching?

Because we're being sold a line of crap that Woody knew it was the right thing to do because fans are facing challenges.

Woody doesnt care about the fans. He cares about their money. He also knows that there 1 season left in the death trap called Giants Stadium and if he raises prices, the people who arent going to buy PSL's anyway will flee without handing over one more seasons worth of money and since the money will be due in May, anyone wanting to replace them wont have a chance at the good PSL's.

Its a pure business decision. He cant afford to let money walk away this year.

Because we're being sold a line of crap that Woody knew it was the right thing to do because fans are facing challenges.

Woody doesnt care about the fans. He cares about their money. He also knows that there 1 season left in the death trap called Giants Stadium and if he raises prices, the people who arent going to buy PSL's anyway will flee without handing over one more seasons worth of money and since the money will be due in May, anyone wanting to replace them wont have a chance at the good PSL's.

If it was about the money...don't you think he would have done upper deck PSLs? The Jets always raise ticket prices...but this year he didn't.

If it was about the money...don't you think he would have done upper deck PSLs? The Jets always raise ticket prices...but this year he didn't.

No. He did PSL's based on what he could do to generate the most money with the appearance he's doing something for the fans. $1,000 a seat is minor money when it comes to what Woody will be making in that place... what is he forgoing? $16,000? That wont make much of a dent in his wallet. Instead he has higher prices for the better PSL's that will more than make up for that $16,000.

And again he didnt because he needs the money from people like me who wont buy PSL's. If he increased the tickets this year, there would have been a major exodus for fans who arent buying PSL's. There are no guarantees that fans can afford $1000 a seat (about the cost of 10 games this year) in this economy with zero benefit after this year. Since they wont be able to buy the tickets until May the earliest, it gives the Jets 4 months to find replacement season ticket holders. There is too much risk for Woody to raise ticket prices and anger a fan base and possibly lead to not selling out.

Jetsbabe.I know you're young and maybe it just hasnt sunk in yet, but sports teams dont care about their fans. They care about the way they can generate the most money while giving the appearance they do care about their fan base. Nothing is ever done out of their kindness. They have analyzed this thoroughly. They know how to make the most money and keep the good will of the fan. With age you become jaded about sports and teams and ownership..

No. He did PSL's based on what he could do to generate the most money with the appearance he's doing something for the fans. $1,000 a seat is minor money when it comes to what Woody will be making in that place... what is he forgoing? $16,000? That wont make much of a dent in his wallet. Instead he has higher prices for the better PSL's that will more than make up for that $16,000.

And again he didnt because he needs the money from people like me who wont buy PSL's. If he increased the tickets this year, there would have been a major exodus for fans who arent buying PSL's. There are no guarantees that fans can afford $1000 a seat (about the cost of 10 games this year) in this economy with zero benefit after this year. Since they wont be able to buy the tickets until May the earliest, it gives the Jets 4 months to find replacement season ticket holders. There is too much risk for Woody to raise ticket prices and anger a fan base and possibly lead to not selling out.

Jetsbabe.I know you're young and maybe it just hasnt sunk in yet, but sports teams dont care about their fans. They care about the way they can generate the most money while giving the appearance they do care about their fan base. Nothing is ever done out of their kindness. They have analyzed this thoroughly. They know how to make the most money and keep the good will of the fan. With age you become jaded about sports and teams and ownership..

Joey, is that you?

Joey, is that you?

No im not a joey... and I hope you didnt take it the wrong way.. if it sounded condescending Im sorry... its not the way i wanted it to come out.

I used to believe... until I went to college and began pursuing my major of Sports Marketing/Management. Thats when I learned about the business side of sports. And it jaded me. It hurt my love of sports, and it took a few years for me to be able to separate my love of the game from the business side of it. but when things like this come out that woody is doing this because he knows we're in a tough spot... yeah... I know what he's trying to do.

Again Im sorry if my comment bothered you... it was not my intent. now lets get back to discussing the guys hitting on you during happy hour!

No im not a joey... and I hope you didnt take it the wrong way.. if it sounded condescending Im sorry... its not the way i wanted it to come out.

I used to believe... until I went to college and began pursuing my major of Sports Marketing/Management. Thats when I learned about the business side of sports. And it jaded me. It hurt my love of sports, and it took a few years for me to be able to separate my love of the game from the business side of it. but when things like this come out that woody is doing this because he knows we're in a tough spot... yeah... I know what he's trying to do.

Again Im sorry if my comment bothered you... it was not my intent. now lets get back to discussing the guys hitting on you during happy hour!

you just sounded like my ex...entirely. that's the kind of **** he would say. sorry, we broke up last week from a 4 year relationship. still kindof fresh.

You're falling into Woody's trap with that. Although the upper decks don't have a PSL, the increased ticket prices nets Woody more money after 6 seasons or so. I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I know for certain that the Giants' 1,000 PSL in the upper deck combined with lower ticket prices is much cheaper than no PSL and raised ticket prices. He didn't raise them this year because of the recession and everything else, not to mention he's trying to stay good in the public's eyes so he can sell some PSL's for the new stadium.

The Jets' prices for the 2010 season, the first in the new Jets/Giants stadium, already have been set and in many cases will include substantial increases over comparable seats in the current stadium.

Yeah, that Woody's a sweetheart.

He's not worried. His money's coming.

No. He did PSL's based on what he could do to generate the most money with the appearance he's doing something for the fans. $1,000 a seat is minor money when it comes to what Woody will be making in that place...

what is he forgoing? $16,000?

You're close.

It's $27 million.

Get_Smart5.jpg

What in the hell could he possibly have done or said that would not have pissed you off? I mean if the guy raised prices you would have been bitching, he didn't raise prices, and you bitched, if he lowered prices, you would have been bitching.

What in the hell could he possibly have done or said that would not have pissed you off? I mean if the guy raised prices you would have been bitching, he didn't raise prices, and you bitched, if he lowered prices, you would have been bitching.

I have a serious problem with someone like Woody trying to spin this into him caring about their fans. If he gave a sh!t about our money problems he wouldnt have PSL's.

So sorry, Im not falling for it. He already showed how little he cares about the fans, so why should I believe he cares about us now, right before he gouges us for PSL's.

http://teammarketing.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/Fan%20Cost%20Index/NFL/NFL08.pdf

Here's the league price list as of Sept 08 - I haven't found anything more recent yet - Interesting to see the Fan cost Index.

It is interesting...

Doesnt mean much since that isnt what fans do at a game...

Better costs breakdown would be ticket price, parking, gas, tolls, tailgating supplies/food.

A game costs me (1 ticket) about $200 a game for everything. Rest of my family is about $160 per game (since I travel much farther than them). So for my family of four a game costs us around $650.

Yet another reason precisely WHY Woody Johnson is a turd. I haven't gotten into it on JN, but for long time season ticket holders, it was just another way to screw us. Not only have most of us been effectively bankrupted out of comparable seats (thus making the 300's a horrible DOWNGRADE), but they also took away transfer rights to the non-PSL seats. The Giants, who won a Super Bowl the year after last, yes, they're charging a 1K PSL, but then it's done with and transfer rights are retained.

If I had more time to kill, I'd get into it in detail just how much he fukked Jets fans. Football is a business, and I have no gripe with people making money. The fact remains that the Jets handled everything about this debacle worse than poorly. I hope Woody Johnson chokes.

Yet another reason precisely WHY Woody Johnson is a turd. I haven't gotten into it on JN, but for long time season ticket holders, it was just another way to screw us. Not only have most of us been effectively bankrupted out of comparable seats (thus making the 300's a horrible DOWNGRADE), but they also took away transfer rights to the non-PSL seats. The Giants, who won a Super Bowl the year after last, yes, they're charging a 1K PSL, but then it's done with and transfer rights are retained.

If I had more time to kill, I'd get into it in detail just how much he fukked Jets fans. Football is a business, and I have no gripe with people making money. The fact remains that the Jets handled everything about this debacle worse than poorly. I hope Woody Johnson chokes.

i don't know exact specifics of the PSL plans, but i see what you're saying.

i don't know exact specifics of the PSL plans, but i see what you're saying.
I meant the year BEFORE last. Heh, it's how worked up I get over the whole thing. Bottom line is, he didn't do anyone any favors. Quite the opposite. Leon Hess, no matter how inept a football guy, no way this would be happening. Football is an investment, I get that, too; but Woody, that fukking blockhead, it's really unbelievable. Well, not really. I fully expected it.

Woody did what he was supposed to do and he gets congratulated? oh and lets not forget while he is sending out this year's invoices he is also asking season ticket holders to pay thousands of dollars for psls.. this is just common sense and a smart business move.

Woody did what he was supposed to do and he gets congratulated? oh and lets not forget while he is sending out this year's invoices he is also asking season ticket holders to pay thousands of dollars for psls.. this is just common sense and a smart business move.

He could have easily jacked up the prices and still sold out all of the seats with little backlash... so it is a little surprising that he didnt...

While I like Woody, I think this move is too get in the good graces of 'some' of the ticket holders. When these playbooks come, some might be happier about the situation with Woody doing the "right thing" here.. We shall see. Either way, im happy the prices remaind the same..

Archived