**A-Rod Tested Positive For Steroids In 2003** [Merged 3X]

Lil Bit Special

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone honestly think that if guys in the 1950's, 60's etc wouldnt be using steroids if they had access to it?

THis whole thing is a joke.

Well, they didn't so that is not really a point.

If bionics are available in 2020, it does not mean I think it should be a part of an athlete's arsenal. Nor will I be saying, "would they have used bionics" in the 80's.

You should only be compared to athletes' in your era. That is all that is fair. The "cheaters' are tainted by what they have done.

No joke in that.

Well, they didn't so that is not really a point.

If bionics are available in 2020, it does not mean I think it should be a part of an athlete's arsenal. Nor will I be saying, "would they have used bionics" in the 80's.

You should only be compared to athletes' in your era. That is all that is fair. The "cheaters' are tainted by what they have done.

No joke in that.

Well, if were only comparing players of era's....then I guess for this era, if you werent cheatin-you werent tryin.

Personally, I couldnt care less about steroids. Everyone seemingly used them. If it wasnt illegal and they didnt test, what the hell was preventing someone from using them? Morals? Come on.

What exactly is baseball going to do? Fire every player and start from scratch?

These guys chose to put this crap into their bodies. I really dont care, its their problem not mine.

The hysteria and outcry over this is boring and absurd imo.

Well, if were only comparing players of era's....then I guess for this era, if you werent cheatin-you werent tryin.

Personally, I couldnt care less about steroids. Everyone seemingly used them. If it wasnt illegal and they didnt test, what the hell was preventing someone from using them? Morals? Come on.

These guys chose to put this crap into their bodies. I really dont care, its their problem not mine.

damn..matt,,odd post..

why not just let them put robotic parts in thier body?

To each his own, but, using steroids and PED's is in fact VERY illegal.

Well, everyone cheated in different eras in different ways...

gaylord perry anyone?

it still sucks, but it was when MLB wasn't testing or punishing players for using PEDs.

The guy is doing the right thing now, lets see if he can keep it up.

(talking about the admission)

To each his own, but, using steroids and PED's is in fact VERY illegal.

Of course it is. But at the same time so are a lot of other things ball players of every era have done.

I'm not promoting steroids- I've had access to them, never had the interest in using them. It's obviously wrong, and obviously dangerous....but I'm not going to judge someone like I know them with what they choose to put into their bodies. They have to live with that.

Im also not going to pretend to be outraged like a ton of guys in the media are doing that the sport is forever tainted...especially when they had their pom pom's out in 1998.

A-Rod interview raised more questions than answers

Story Highlights

The mirror Alex Rodriguez looked into was a fun-house mirror

Gammons stuck to the script throughout the interview, never asking follow-ups

It's wishful thinking for A-Rod to believe the questions should stop

textsize.gif

textsize_minus_d.giftextsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.giftextsize_plus_l.gif

Unreal.

So lies the career, however neatly parsed for us, and the image of Alex Rodriguez. Even when he took a proper step forward, admitting on Monday that he was a drug cheat, the mirror he looked into was a fun-house mirror. Believe me now, he told us, while making belief difficult for people such as Tom Hicks.

Hicks, the owner of the Texas Rangers, paid Rodriguez $150 million to play just three seasons in Texas and then go away. The Rangers finished in last place every year and Rodriguez admitted on Monday that he was dirty every year, pretty much assuring that this was the worst investment in sports history.

Hicks made a similarly oversized personal investment in Rodriguez, befriending him and ceding to him strong influence on personnel matters. Of course, those times being what they were in baseball, those two discussed steroids, Hicks says, and Rodriguez didn't just slough off the subject. According to Hicks, Rodriguez personally assured his good friend that he would never get involved in anything like that. It was, of course, not just a lie but a dramatic lie.

"I feel personally betrayed," Hicks said on a conference call Tuesday. "I feel deceived by Alex. He assured me that he had far too much respect for his own body to ever do that to himself ... I certainly don't believe that, if he's now admitting that he started using when he came to the Texas Rangers, why should I believe that it didn't start before he came to the Texas Rangers?"

Hicks asks a very good question about Rodriguez's drug use, the kind of question about credibility that remains with Rodriguez even after his admission. The admission was wise, especially given a) he was caught cold by an impeccable story by SI's Selena Roberts and David Epstein and B) the road map for if and how to come clean has been clearly drawn by the lessons of other performance-enhancing drug users. We've reached a point where actually admitting three years of PED use, no matter what the qualifications, gets you bouquets. So, good for Rodriguez. He displayed some honor among scoundrels. If he continues to speak out against drug use and not run from the subject and his past, he will elevate himself further.

Like all things Rodriguez, though, it is never so simple. The calculation to his story was both clever and clumsy, and sloppy questioning left much to be desired. For instance, ESPN's Peter Gammons handed Rodriguez his own timeline by asking, "You're saying that time period was 2001, 2002 and 2003?" And when Rodriguez responded, "That's pretty accurate, yes" (emphasis mine), Gammons, as he did throughout the interview, stuck to the script and did not follow up.

What Gammons missed (and most of the news media that reported on it, for that matter) is that Rodriguez clearly never admitted to using steroids. His choice of words was Clinton-esque. He never wanted that sound bite in which he spoke the word "steroids" to put in the time capsule -- a manufacturing of the truth that created the clumsiness.

So we got Rodriguez first telling us he used "a banned substance," then saying "I don't know exactly what, um, substance I was guilty of using," and then going to the plural and saying, "I started experimenting with things that today are not legal." So what he is saying is that this fitness freak took something or some things for three years and didn't know what they were, but even though he didn't know what they were, he somehow knows that they were banned.

(SI and, in an independent follow-up story, The New York Times, reported that Rodriguez tested positive for Primobolan, one of the most expensive steroids available, and testosterone. Gammons never asked Rodriguez whether his "banned substance" was taken in tablet or injectable form.)

As contradictions go, Rodriguez also said he had some epiphany in spring training of 2003 to stop using PEDs, but acknowledged he played all his years in Texas, including 2003, under PEDs. He said he never knew he tested positive in 2003 until Roberts informed him last week, but the Mitchell Report stated that "all of the players [who tested positive] were notified by early September 2004" by the union. Even when Gammons asked him about being called "A-Fraud," a reference to a comment by teammates in 2004 in The Yankee Years, written by Joe Torre and myself, Rodriguez contradicted himself within a single answer. His immediate response was to blurt back "Never." But before he finished answering the question, he admitted, "So did I hear 'A-Fraud?' Yeah." Huh?

The worst performance, by both Rodriguez and Gammons, was in the treatment of Roberts. Rodriguez went out of his way to try to impugn Roberts -- mostly with what Roberts has called "fabrications" -- in response to questions that had absolutely nothing to do with her reporting. (Questions about World Baseball Classic testing, the union, the Hall of Fame and his daughters somehow sent Rodriguez off on Roberts.) Not once did Gammons follow up, letting attacks on a fellow journalist with a sterling reputation go unquestioned. Rodriguez was well advised to take the high road in making an admission, but he undermined that standing with a personal viciousness that took him off point.

Rodriguez's hope is that this managed interview will put his drug use in "a vault," he said, so he can move forward. It's a nice sentiment, not just as it applies to him but also for the entire Steroid Era. We should hope it is true. It's just not realistic, not when too many questions remain and the truth, like water from an aquifer, is relentless.

I'm in the camp of those that really don't give a ****.

This was pretty interesting in 2005. Now, I couldn't really care less.

This selective leaking bull**** is a joke. There are plenty of players that have never been linked to steroids that were obvious users. Guys that helped their teams to win championships, like Luis Gonzalez and David Ortiz. The list of players that were "dirty" in the steroid era is probably much longer than the list of guys that were clean. The mock outrage bothers me. If it pisses you off so much, then stop watching. I see people compare the steroid scandal to the '94 strike all the time. How do you figure? Attendance numbers are higher than they've ever been and this story has been going on for years. If the American public were truly so concerned with this, then baseball wouldn't be racking in more money than ever before. This just gives the many talentless hacks something to write about.

The outrage by some posters blaming the media and saying, "everyone does it whats the big deal?" Is pure hypocrisy.

Most of the same posters were outraged that the Patriots taped defensive signals and that all of the Pats accomplishments should be wiped from the NFL record books.

There were thousands of posts that compared the Pats to Barry Bonds.

You know, the defensive signals that everyone in the Stadium can see and that teams change every week.

it's funny all the people complaining about "selective leaking". bottom line: alex rodriguez is now a known cheater. that's it. nothing more to it. either you care or you don't. but the fact remains that he is a confirmed cheater.

I agree. The Pats cheated by breaking NFL rules while ARod cheated by breaking the law. Where is Arlen Specter when you need him? Where is the outrage about the integrity of the game?

ARod wasn't the best liked guy in the world before this happened (a lot of Yankee fans don't even like him) but he was the "clean" guy who was going to erase Bonds from the record books. So much for that.

I agree. The Pats cheated by breaking NFL rules while ARod cheated by breaking the law. Where is Arlen Specter when you need him? Where is the outrage about the integrity of the game?

ARod wasn't the best liked guy in the world before this happened (a lot of Yankee fans don't even like him) but he was the "clean" guy who was going to erase Bonds from the record books. So much for that.

when you are right you are right

take away all the Janks championship rings while A-fraud was on team

take away all the pats championships

You are smarter than i thought:D

it's funny all the people complaining about "selective leaking". bottom line: alex rodriguez is now a known cheater. that's it. nothing more to it. either you care or you don't. but the fact remains that he is a confirmed cheater.

Correct. While we are all sick of steroids the attempts to place the blame or focus elsewhere are hilarious. Totally uniform based.

Correct. While we are all sick of steroids the attempts to place the blame or focus elsewhere are hilarious. Totally uniform based.

I know I'm sick of steroids, but Alex didn't place blame on anyone but himself. While I believe he still has some details to explain, I believe he took responsibility. A-Rod has destroyed any chance anyone is going to care about any records he brakes, that's over with, but that doesn't mean he can't go out there and play ball and still be one of the best players in the game. If A-Rod wins a championship, that will be more then enough legacy for Yankee fans. Hopefully he understands that.

I know I'm sick of steroids, but Alex didn't place blame on anyone but himself. While I believe he still has some details to explain, I believe he took responsibility. A-Rod has destroyed any chance anyone is going to care about any records he brakes, that's over with, but that doesn't mean he can't go out there and play ball and still be one of the best players in the game. If A-Rod wins a championship, that will be more then enough legacy for Yankee fans. Hopefully he understands that.

I couldn't disagree more and I'm not sure what interview you were listening to.

Regardless, let's get ready to talk real Baseball.

when you are right you are right

take away all the Janks championship rings while A-fraud was on team

take away all the pats championships

You are smarter than i thought:D

You love to stir the pot don't you? :D

The funny thing is that none of the ARod defenders have replied to my post.

I couldn't disagree more and I'm not sure what interview you were listening to.

Regardless, let's get ready to talk real Baseball.

I listened to the one where he said:

I did take a banned substance. You know, for that I'm very sorry and deeply regretful.

I just feel that, you know, I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for that time. I'm sorry to my fans. I'm sorry for my fans in Texas.

Regardless of what the union -- this is no one's fault. This is my fault. I'm responsible for this. And I'm deeply sorry for that.

I couldn't feel more regret and feel more sorry because I have so much respect for this game, and, you know, the people that follow me and respect me. And I have millions of fans out there that are, you know, will never look at me the same

So I am sorry for my Texas years. I apologize to the fans of Texas. And there's absolutely no excuse, and I really feel bad about it.

Regardless of what we want to [unintelligible] and say and justify, there's absolutely no excuse for what I did. I'm sorry. If I was a fan, a fan of mine, a fan of the Rangers, I would be very pissed off. And I can't take that back. But just realize that I'm sorry, and I want to do things to change.

You must of missed the part where he said he was unaware of what he was taking or did not know until the SI reporter asked him about it that he had failed a test.

You did this with Roger and Andy...don't go there again.

You talk about the parts I missed, even though I did just say he has to explain the details more, yet you won't acknowledge Alex admitted taking performance enhancements, and said no one was to blame but himself. That's taking responsibility, no matter how much you spin it. When he gets to spring training, and doesn't explain to us what he was taking, and where he got it from, then I'll get on him. Peter Gammons didn't follow up with A-Rod with those questions, New York reporters will.

Gainzo = Biggest homo in America, ever

Nice post.

Serious question as I don't know you at all: Were you one of the people freaking out and demanding that the NFL wipe clean all of the Pats records when spygate happened?

Do you have sexual relations with ARod?

Nice post.

Do you have sexual relations with ARod?

Thanks, but seriously, I'm not here to have a pissing contest, don't disrespect me, and I won't disrespect you.

Serious question as I don't know you at all: Were you one of the people freaking out and demanding that the NFL wipe clean all of the Pats records when spygate happened?

Nope, defiently not me.

Archived