The Big East-Haters thread.

uart

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And how many of those include members that were not members of the conference at the time? Like Cincy, L'ville, Notre Dame, Marquette and Rutgers? Ok, kidding on the last one.

No idea. A couple. Does it matter though? This discussion isn't about how good the Big East was in 1994, I will concede that the Big East wasn't the best conference back then. This discussion is about who has the best conference RIGHT NOW. As such, the strength of the conference as it is today, has a lot more to do with Louisville and Marquette than BC and Virginia Tech.

Louisville has had 35 bids, Marquette has had 27, Cincy has 24, DePaul has 22, South Florida has two.

And to be fair, those numbers don't include 18 bids for BC ( the ACC has those -- only 3 were as an ACC team, IIRC), 8 for Virginia Tech or 6 for Miami.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Tournament_bids_by_school)

BTW: The ACC and big East played an 8-game challenge series from 1989-91. I think it's time to bring it back.

No idea. A couple. Does it matter though? This discussion isn't about how good the Big East was in 1994, I will concede that the Big East wasn't the best conference back then. This discussion is about who has the best conference RIGHT NOW. As such, the strength of the conference as it is today, has a lot more to do with Louisville and Marquette than BC and Virginia Tech.

Louisville has had 35 bids, Marquette has had 27, Cincy has 24, DePaul has 22, South Florida has two.

And to be fair, those numbers don't include 18 bids for BC ( the ACC has those -- only 3 were as an ACC team, IIRC), 8 for Virginia Tech or 6 for Miami.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Tournament_bids_by_school)

BTW: The ACC and big East played an 8-game challenge series from 1989-91. I think it's time to bring it back.

Hell yeah, but I never see that happening.

As far as the totals, it does matter.

By virtue of their size, I have no doubt the Big East has the most.

However, teams like Louisville (31 of 34), Cinncinati (23 of 24), Depaul (22 of 22), Marquette (23 of 26), Notre Dame (24 of 29) and West Virginia (17 of 21) had a pretty extensive histories in tournament prior to being in the Big East. That is 140 of those 355 that were received when those teams were in another conference or independent.

The ACC beats up on the Big Ten every year. They should definately go back to playing the Big East.

Archived