Favre answer in 10 days?

faba

Jets hope to get answer from Brett Favre in 10 days

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 1:41 AM

Sabo/News With NFL Combine in 10 days, followed by the start free agency on Feb. 27, the Jets hope to get word from Brett Favre on his plans for 2009 s

The countdown to The Brett Favre Decision has started. In 10 days, the Jets hope - emphasis on hope - to have an answer from Favre headquarters in Hattiesburg, Miss.

The Jets are in the same position the Packers were in the last several years and it's not comfortable. They are waiting for Favre to tell them what he's doing.

When the Jets made the trade in August, they got the entire Favre package: The leadership, the excitement, the improvisation and the interceptions. But they also acquired the aggravation of their life being put on hold as Favre takes his time deciding whether he's going to play in 2009. The Jets need to be pro-active rather than playing nice and feeding into Favre's diva act.

GM Mike Tannenbaum revealed to the Daily News that Favre's decision could be imminent. "We're putting together our offseason plan," Tannenbaum said. "We hope to have initial feedback from Brett by the combine."

The scouting combine in Indianapolis begins Feb. 18. The Jets need more than feedback. They don't need percentages. They need an answer.

Here's what Tannenbaum should tell him:

"Hey, Brett, we'd love to have you back even after you stunk it up in December. We understand if you're physically, mentally and emotional done. We think you'll love Rex (Ryan). We have cap issues, quarterback issues, it all revolves around you, so we're not asking you for a decision by the combine, but we're demanding a decision by the Feb. 27, the start of free agency. We need to know."

Of course, what leverage do the Jets have? They are not going to cut Favre even though Ryan has yet to indicate whether he even wants him. That subject has not come up internally as the Jets begin their player evaluations after Ryan put together his staff last month. But Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson are adamant they want Favre back, so it's not likely Ryan will fight them.

The Vikings may be the only team Favre wants, but as part of the trade last summer, the Packers inserted this poison pill: If the Jets traded Favre to the Vikings last year, they would have had to give Green Bay two No. 1 draft picks. If they trade him to the Vikings this year, the Jets send Green Bay one No. 1 pick. So, he's not being traded to Minnesota.

As much as Favre loves playing, he couldn't have loved it the final month of the season when he looked old and tired. His two TDs and eight INTs in

December continued a trend: He melts down when it gets cold. In the last four Decembers, he has 13 TDs and 31 INTs. He's going to be 40 years old this season and he runs out of gas down the stretch.

Jets hope to get answer from Brett Favre in 10 days

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 1:41 AM

Sabo/News With NFL Combine in 10 days, followed by the start free agency on Feb. 27, the Jets hope to get word from Brett Favre on his plans for 2009 s

The countdown to The Brett Favre Decision has started. In 10 days, the Jets hope - emphasis on hope - to have an answer from Favre headquarters in Hattiesburg, Miss.

The Jets are in the same position the Packers were in the last several years and it's not comfortable. They are waiting for Favre to tell them what he's doing.

When the Jets made the trade in August, they got the entire Favre package: The leadership, the excitement, the improvisation and the interceptions. But they also acquired the aggravation of their life being put on hold as Favre takes his time deciding whether he's going to play in 2009. The Jets need to be pro-active rather than playing nice and feeding into Favre's diva act.

GM Mike Tannenbaum revealed to the Daily News that Favre's decision could be imminent. "We're putting together our offseason plan," Tannenbaum said. "We hope to have initial feedback from Brett by the combine."

The scouting combine in Indianapolis begins Feb. 18. The Jets need more than feedback. They don't need percentages. They need an answer.

Here's what Tannenbaum should tell him:

"Hey, Brett, we'd love to have you back even after you stunk it up in December. We understand if you're physically, mentally and emotional done. We think you'll love Rex (Ryan). We have cap issues, quarterback issues, it all revolves around you, so we're not asking you for a decision by the combine, but we're demanding a decision by the Feb. 27, the start of free agency. We need to know."

Of course, what leverage do the Jets have? They are not going to cut Favre even though Ryan has yet to indicate whether he even wants him. That subject has not come up internally as the Jets begin their player evaluations after Ryan put together his staff last month. But Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson are adamant they want Favre back, so it's not likely Ryan will fight them.

The Vikings may be the only team Favre wants, but as part of the trade last summer, the Packers inserted this poison pill: If the Jets traded Favre to the Vikings last year, they would have had to give Green Bay two No. 1 draft picks. If they trade him to the Vikings this year, the Jets send Green Bay one No. 1 pick. So, he's not being traded to Minnesota.

As much as Favre loves playing, he couldn't have loved it the final month of the season when he looked old and tired. His two TDs and eight INTs in

December continued a trend: He melts down when it gets cold. In the last four Decembers, he has 13 TDs and 31 INTs. He's going to be 40 years old this season and he runs out of gas down the stretch.

Favre Retires, Ratliff wins the job in the preseason, the Jets make it as far as the AFC Championship game.

Sounds good to me.

His two TDs and eight INTs in

Do we need any more info than this??

Thanks Brett for the excitement (in the first half of the season). Thanks Tanny for trying.

Now let's move on.

How can we run a team like this??? Favre is not God! He's a washed up has been, who's trend is the last four Decembers, has been 13 TDs and 31 INTs. Yet our idiotic management and alot of you ________ (I'll leave this blank so anyone can fill in the derogatory word) wait with baited breath like an ugly girl praying to be taken to the prom, for this fossil primadonna to make up his mind. And for what? Because you hope we'll catch lightning in a bottle one last time? I said it before and I'll say it again. We are not winning anything with this guy at the helm boys and girls! We need a QB that will give us a good performance in the beginning and just keep building from there and tops it all off with an excellent finish. That QB is not this asswipe. Forget hoping he retires, cut his ass and move on!!! Grow some Woody and Tanny!! We're in a recesion and there just aren't enough bafoons who love this guy for it to make a difference with the stupid PSLs. Cut him!!!

I disagree with the article from this extent: if the Jets have to, they'll cut Favre. Johnny Hector mentioned recently that teams have to be at or below the salary cap on March 1, 2009 (the start of the NFL's new year).

The Jets will cut dead weight players (Kassel, Barrett, etc.), but they are not cutting players just so Favre might be on the team. They'll cut him if he hasn't given them an answer.

The bottom line is that cutting him is a definate option.

I disagree with the article from this extent: if the Jets have to, they'll cut Favre. Johnny Hector mentioned recently that teams have to be at or below the salary cap on March 1, 2009 (the start of the NFL's new year).

The Jets will cut dead weight players (Kassel, Barrett, etc.), but they are not cutting players just so Favre might be on the team. They'll cut him if he hasn't given them an answer.

Absolutely

Oh yes!

I can't take how anyone would position the Jets as victims here.

If Favre isn't willing to make his decision before the combine, cut his ass.. Done. If the Jets allows him to waffle all spring it's their own damn fault..

I hope that by February 27th either the Jets & Favre part ways (by the Jets releasing him) or that Favre restructures his deal to $5 million or less for the 2009 season. Now ask yourselves, which one is more likely? Option A. I think that is what needs to be done in order for the Jets to have a successful 2009 season, or at least a chance at a successful season.

If Favre isn't willing to make his decision before the combine, cut his ass.. Done. If the Jets allows him to waffle all spring it's their own damn fault..

True enough

Exactly. I don't think they will cut him. But I know they don't have the right to bitch about him not deciding. This is his second marriage. His bad habits were well documented previously.

the only reason brett is waiting is to......

play brinksmanship negotiating with the jets....

and force his unconditional release

I predict he tries to force the jets hand, but the jets counter with a big raise and he plays here next year

why ?

woody likes him and it's his team

And of course old Brett is VERY aware of this . :P

Archived