FL | Salary cap for 2009 could increase

Jetfan13

Sun, 08 Feb 2009 15:33:58 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports a source said there are whispers the salary cap for the 2009 season could be higher than the projected $123 million. The salary cap could be as high as $130 million. The NFL will calculate the cap for 2009 before free agency starts Feb. 27.

Sun, 08 Feb 2009 15:33:58 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports a source said there are whispers the salary cap for the 2009 season could be higher than the projected $123 million. The salary cap could be as high as $130 million. The NFL will calculate the cap for 2009 before free agency starts Feb. 27.

I hope Favre retires/gets cut before that is announced. As it is right now, I don't see how keeping him at $13 million is even an option. The increased cap could make it an option.

I hope Favre retires/gets cut before that is announced. As it is right now, I don't see how keeping him at $13 is even an option. That could make it an option.

Are you kidding? the NFL loves Drama ,they are probobly raiseing the Cap so (A) The JETS can afford to keep Favre and (B) that the Pats can afford to keep Castle & Brady and the extra $7,000,000 in cap space might be enough for the Giants to bring back Plaxico & for Dallas to keep T.O. Bottom line the NFL is going to help the BIG Markets.

With the current state of our cap, this is great news.

I know that many people are against keeping Favre, but he will give us the best chance to win next season. We have talent on our team, and with a new coaching staff and schemes, it could prove to be a special season.

An increased cap will also put us in a much better position to keep/add some much needed depth.

Are you kidding? the NFL loves Drama ,they are probobly raiseing the Cap so (A) The JETS can afford to keep Favre and (B) that the Pats can afford to keep Castle & Brady and the extra $7,000,000 in cap space might be enough for the Giants to bring back Plaxico & for Dallas to keep T.O. Bottom line the NFL is going to help the BIG Markets.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. I was even thinking, how could Woody even pretend that he could afford to bring Favre back? Unless, being on the inside, he knew this was going to happen, and in fact, encouraged Favre to take his time.

Just shoot me.

I know Mr. T is a magician with this stuff, but I still can't see how they can keep Favre. Right now, I believe the Jets are $16.5 over the Cap. If the Cap goes up $7 million, and they cut Barrett ($3.7 m) and Bowens ($2.6 m), they are still more than $3 million OVER the Cap. They might be able to restructure Moore and Coles and some other stuff to make it, but forget getting any free agents. :confused:

I know Mr. T is a magician with this stuff, but I still can't see how they can keep Favre. Right now, I believe the Jets are $16.5 over the Cap. If the Cap goes up $7 million, and they cut Barrett ($3.7 m) and Bowens ($2.6 m), they are still more than $3 million OVER the Cap. They might be able to restructure Moore and Coles and some other stuff to make it, but forget getting any free agents. :confused:

They can also cut Baker ($2.1 m), and save a ton of cap room by restructuring Pace ($5.8 m) and Rhodes ($6.32 m).

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salarycapcuts09.html

really i heard they were only 7 million over

They can also cut Baker ($2.1 m), and save a ton of cap room by restructuring Pace ($5.8 m) and Rhodes ($6.32 m).

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salarycapcuts09.html

I don't have a problem with cutting Baker. We should be able to find good blocking TE's cheaper than that and Keller should start or at least play a lot more than last year. I just doubt if the Jets would cut him. As far as restructuring others, I thought I read somewhere that might be affected by the 2010 CBA agreement expiration. Not sure though.

Archived