What sectors of the economy

Maxman

are doing well right now?

Please don't turn this into a political debate. Serious question here, what part of the economy (if any) is strong? How long do you think this will last?

The housing market isn't bouncing back anytime soon because the impact of the foreclosures hasn't. The outlook for Healthcare obviously looks good.

But what else? Who is feeling good about their job right now?

Medical device manufacturing is a good place to be right now. What with all of the baby boomers reaching retirement age, it's good for another 10 years or so. Why? The boomers are getting older. What do old people need more of? Medical attention.

I work for a Wall Street company. Financial services are bad and will not be getting better soon. Healthcare/medical and energy alternatives are the only things I can think of that should be somewhat Depression proof. Yes, I said Depression. :eek:

I work for a Wall Street company. Financial services are bad and will not be getting better soon. Healthcare/medical and energy alternatives are the only things I can think of that should be somewhat Depression proof. Yes, I said Depression. :eek:

I second this -I work in financial services and the outlook there is not good for the near future. Education- math and science teachers- engineers.

Fast food. Less people eating at "casual dining" restaurants and opting for the Dollar Menu instead.

McDonald's Sales Continue Surge

Call it a McLeading economic indicator.

McDonald's had another strong sales month, as consumers continued to "trade down" from higher-priced restaurants to McDonald's in January.

In the U.S., same-store McDonald's sales in January were up 5.4 percent compared to January of last year.

Worldwide, Mickey D's January sales were up 7.1 percent, which is either an indication of harder times elsewhere or the novelty of the burger king in emerging countries.

Shares of McDonald's are up about 5 percent from this time last year which, given the carnage that was 2008, is pretty impressive.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-watch/2009/02/mcdonalds_sales_continue_surge.html?hpid=topnews

Medical device manufacturing is a good place to be right now. What with all of the baby boomers reaching retirement age, it's good for another 10 years or so. Why? The boomers are getting older. What do old people need more of? Medical attention.

I work for a company that is primarily focused in Healthcare. So I feel good about our long term prospects. But every day it seems like someone else is dropping.

Crazy times.

And I agree with the depression comment.

are doing well right now?

Please don't turn this into a political debate. Serious question here, what part of the economy (if any) is strong? How long do you think this will last?

The housing market isn't bouncing back anytime soon because the impact of the foreclosures hasn't. The outlook for Healthcare obviously looks good.

But what else? Who is feeling good about their job right now?

oneword.jpg

Healthcare and education generally weather the storms pretty well. Basically, you don't want to invest or go into many luxury good items or companies that deal with that.

In general, the manufacturing industry has been in steady decline even before this recession. The service industry in general had been in a corresponding steady rise.

The main exception is that financial services are obviously a mess right now, and there's not much confidence in it.

well the theaters and restauranst sure seem to be still packed down here..

I always heard entertainment didnt suffer much i nbad economy,,people drink, escape to movies etc etc

Really, just think about it in terms of your own behavior. Generally, it corresponds well with how others are feeling. Does this recession make me stop purchasing alcohol? Does it stop me from buying cars and houses? Does it stop me from buying specific food items? Would I buy jewelry for Valentine's day?

Healthcare and education generally weather the storms pretty well. Basically, you don't want to invest or go into many luxury good items or companies that deal with that.

In general, the manufacturing industry has been in steady decline even before this recession. The service industry in general had been in a corresponding steady rise.

The main exception is that financial services are obviously a mess right now, and there's not much confidence in it.

I work in higher education and enrollments have been going up since the Fall. The Winter semester saw a 10% rise and the Spring semester is looking the same.

For whatever it's worth, the Nielsen ratings say that more than 80% of customers are buying the same if not more alcohol during the recession. Maybe it's not the case in your area...

They leave out the part of them not tipping as much or switching from top shelf to well. Trust me I've been in the biz for 20 years and when the economy goes down the money that is spent in bars goes down as well.

education isn't doing that well, at least public education that relies on towns having the same tax base (budget) as in years past

private schools may be different, but I know my town isn't hiring right now even though there is a shortage

my wife is out of work, and she is going to have to hire herself

we're debating between amway and selling weed

(joke)

For whatever it's worth, the Nielsen ratings say that more than 80% of customers are buying the same if not more alcohol during the recession. Maybe it's not the case in your area...

I think mick means bar business

there is a difference

I bet people are buying in bulk at "warehouse" type liquor stores

They leave out the part of them not tipping as much or switching from top shelf to well. Trust me I've been in the biz for 20 years and when the economy goes down the money that is spent in bars goes down as well.

My bad, I meant warehouse type places. The overall net alcohol consumption stays or goes up, it just moves out of the bars into the cheaper at-home alcohol...

Archived