Shane Lechler

Ghost

People are talking about Bart Scott and the draft but I think the most important pick up can possibly be Shane Lechler. People don't realize how important he can be to this team. He's on top of my list for sure.

Sign this freak.

As silly as it sounds that a Punter could be that high on one's FA list, it's pretty spot on. With a good/great defense and sketchy offense, field position could be a teams' best friend. Lechler is an absolute stud and a punter will never break the bank.

Along with Moorman and the dude in San Diego (Scrifies?), Lechler is one of the best, if not the best, punters in the game. This would definitely help in the field position battles and a lot of games when you play close, ball controlled games, come down to field position. According to Rex we are going to be a lot like Baltimore so field position is even bigger. I'd be in favor of bringing him in for sure.

I couldn't agree more. Before the Jets hired Ryan and we all started talking about Lewis, Suggs, Scott and Leonhard, I was saying that as crazy as it may be, Lechler should be the #1 Jets offseason priority. This team has been without a good punter for god knows how long, and it has always been a detriment to the field position battle. No matter how good the coverage units have been under Westhoff, it was always wasted away in the punting game to consistently poor execution from the punters. Add in the fact that there really are very few good punters in the NFL it seems, an opportunity to grab arguably the best is something to be taken advantage of.

I think its funny that there is a thread about a FA punter when a punter we cut midseason played in the Super Bowl.

Westhoff was openly mocking Graham the week before the Super Bowl and he had a god awful game there with a number of really bad, short punts. All it really tells you that a good punter isn't what makes a Super Bowl team, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have one.

Ben Graham had nothing to do with the Cardinals postseason run.

And Lechler would for the Jets?

Westhoff was openly mocking Graham the week before the Super Bowl and he had a god awful game there with a number of really bad, short punts. All it really tells you that a good punter isn't what makes a Super Bowl team, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have one.

Agreed. But I think there are much bigger needs for a team pressed against the cap.

Ben Graham had nothing to do with the Cardinals postseason run.

Dude if you play in the Super Bowl you're a top player at your position.

I say sign the beast. I like Hodges more than most, he was a decent punter for us. He gets good hangtime on his punts here. Still, in the end Lecher has a huge leg on him and pretty much locks down us having a kick*ss kicking game (I like both/either of our kickers).

And Lechler would for the Jets?

Agreed. But I think there are much bigger needs for a team pressed against the cap.

True enough, but you have to consider two things: (1) the Jets are likely to free up A LOT of cap space over the next few weeks. If you consider a few basic ideas of a Favre retirement, Barrett getting cut and an increased salary cap, its not a big deal. (2) Even the best punters don't generally get signed to cap-buster type deals. Its unlikely that the signing of a guy like Lechler would have any significant impact on what else the Jets could do throughout the rest of the offseason.

Well no ****.

Guarantee if we sign Lechler...we are Super Bowl bound!!!

Which is true, it's uneblieveable how important field position is. People on this board don't look at the small stuff, they think all that counts is sacks and tackles when forcing them to panic on their 5 yard line is 10 times better than a sack.

Especially if they are forced to punt, we're most likely to get the ball on their 45 or 40.

Archived