Kindle 2

BwanaZulia

I really love the idea of the Kindle and the new Kindle 2 looks good but suffers from one HUGE problem.

I don't want to pay $350 for a device I have to spend another $10 a book to fill up.

If they dropped built in Wireless, gave it Wifi and put the price at $99 I would buy two in a heartbeat.

I don't need always on wireless for my book.

I don't need to start my next book or buy the next book seconds after finishing the old one.

I am around a wifi spot 89% of the time.

BZ

I really love the idea of the Kindle and the new Kindle 2 looks good but suffers from one HUGE problem.

I don't want to pay $350 for a device I have to spend another $10 a book to fill up.

If they dropped built in Wireless, gave it Wifi and put the price at $99 I would buy two in a heartbeat.

I don't need always on wireless for my book.

I don't need to start my next book or buy the next book seconds after finishing the old one.

I am around a wifi spot 89% of the time.

BZ

I don't know why they can't make a device that works perfectly well as an e-book for under 100.00. The kindle's price is more then the whole ipod/iphone line. I just don't think it will take off at that price.

I don't know why they can't make a device that works perfectly well as an e-book for under 100.00. The kindle's price is more then the whole ipod/iphone line. I just don't think it will take off at that price.

They can and will, someday.

A lot of people are comparing it to the iPod, but the difference with that ($400 original price, I bought two) was that once I bought it and brought it home I could load it up with TONS of my OWN content I already had and be off and running (CDS).

The Kindle makes me pay the $350 (was $400) and then hundreds of $ to make it useful. $ to read blogs. $ to read websites. $ to have PDFs converted to Kindle.

Bad business model (good for them, bad for me)

BZ

They can and will, someday.

A lot of people are comparing it to the iPod, but the difference with that ($400 original price, I bought two) was that once I bought it and brought it home I could load it up with TONS of my OWN content I already had and be off and running (CDS).

The Kindle makes me pay the $350 (was $400) and then hundreds of $ to make it useful. $ to read blogs. $ to read websites. $ to have PDFs converted to Kindle.

Bad business model (good for them, bad for me)

BZ

If I were them I would have looked to making money on the content side and got a kindle into as many hands as possible, maybe 350.00 with a kindle gift card for 300.00 in content so to the consumer it looks like he is only paying 50 for the hardware but in actuality the 300 in content voucher won't cost amazon 300 for real.

If I were them I would have looked to making money on the content side and got a kindle into as many hands as possible, maybe 350.00 with a kindle gift card for 300.00 in content so to the consumer it looks like he is only paying 50 for the hardware but in actuality the 300 in content voucher won't cost amazon 300 for real.

Totally agree and if they did that, I would have been trying one.

BZ

That text-to-speech option has been causing some stirs with the Author's Guild: they're claiming that this violates the individual author's right to publish their own speech versions as a separate product, while what Amazon did was pretty legal, too. It will be interesting to see how the courts handle a potential lawsuit. There's a nice piece on Engadget discussing the whole situation...

• 3 weeks later...

The guy that made it is being interviewed by Charlie Rose right now. "Any book ever printed in any language - that's the goal." I like the concept of it (less waste, obviously), but I don't know - there's something so comforting about rifling through the pages of a physical book. It would be tough for me to make the jump - coupled with the fact that I'm a techno tard. He just said, "The new one sells for $359, but so does the old one..." What, why? Something to do with some $100 fee thing...? Sorry, I missed what he said.

They just launched the Kindle app for the iPhone/iPod Touch and it is pretty cool.

- It is $0

- It downloads anything you buy for the Kindle or online (Amazon.com)

- Has bookmarking feature

- Syncs back where you are in the book with other devices (Kindle)

Not bad. They have to figure out sharing books, but it is getting there.

BZ

They just launched the Kindle app for the iPhone/iPod Touch and it is pretty cool.

- It is $0

- It downloads anything you buy for the Kindle or online (Amazon.com)

- Has bookmarking feature

- Syncs back where you are in the book with other devices (Kindle)

Not bad. They have to figure out sharing books, but it is getting there.

BZ

So...is there any real reason to use that over Stanza if you don't already have a Kindle?

Yeah, 240,000 reasons.

BZ

Assuming you're alluding to the number of books available on the Kindle, Stanza has that same license with publishers as Kindle. That payment option comes on top of all the public domain books already on the store via Feedbooks and Project Gutenburg.

Archived