You need to prick the potato with

Lady Jet

a fork before you bake it. That's what my Mom used to tell me. Otherwise, they may explode. So I always did....

until my Aunt told me five years ago that it was not necessary. She said she never, ever had a potato explode. So I stopped pricking the potatos.

I cleaned my oven yesterday. Well, actually it's a self-cleaning oven, so while I cleaned the grates, the oven cleaned itself, and my house got really, really hot. :)

I'm baking potatos. Guess what? One of them ****ing exploded all over my clean oven!!!!

Damn!!!! It looks like burnt hash browns all over the ****ing bottom of it.

a fork before you bake it. That's what my Mom used to tell me. Otherwise, they may explode. So I always did....

until my Aunt told me five years ago that it was not necessary. She said she never, ever had a potato explode. So I stopped pricking the potatos.

I cleaned my oven yesterday. Well, actually it's a self-cleaning oven, so while I cleaned the grates, the oven cleaned itself, and my house got really, really hot. :)

I'm baking potatos. Guess what? One of them ****ing exploded all over my clean oven!!!!

wow!!!!!

i thought that was a myth as well

I've never had a potato explode and I never poke holes in it.

Hahahaha someone got you with the exploding potato trick I never poke my baked potatoes I just wrap them in foil

You think someone tampered with my potato? :lol:

I wrap them in foil when I grill them, but not when I bake them.

Seriously, for all you non-poker and prickers, you might want to rethink. Cause when you least expect it, expect it! Ka-blam!

The skin was still on the rack, the innards were all over.

At least it cleaned up easy while the oven was still warm.

this is why ivoted lady the most underrated poster!!! i always enjoy and laugh at her posts... :D

you do bomb, lady! ( ok maybe a poor choice of words ;) )

:D

You think someone tampered with my potato? :lol:

I wrap them in foil when I grill them, but not when I bake them.

Seriously, for all you non-poker and prickers, you might want to rethink. Cause when you least expect it, expect it! Ka-blam!

while u still are in the kitchen

i will have a hot pastrami sammie:D

yea its just south of sunrise blvd on A1A.. bro its the best sandwich you could possibly eat or at least the best ive ever had... it lives up to the hype everytime

I'll put money that just about any sandwich from any NY or LI Deli is better. But yeah I got a roommate from Pitt who says they're pretty legit.

I hate to work blue in your thread LJ, but there's no such thing as a "non-poker" or "non-pricker" here at JN...Heck just look at the Mod staff

And I'd bet some serious money that Max and Thor have exchanged the exact words at the end of your post on no less than 74 separate occasions.

JetNation: Where there's always at least one prick who can turn any thread into either a gay joke or a poopie joke.

A few folks in this thread mentioned that they wrap the potato in foil before baking. This will hasten the cooking time (that's why restaurants do it), but you will not have a true baked--or, more correctly, roasted--potato, as it will steam in the foil. Here's what I do for perfect, delicious baked potatoes:

1. Scrub them clean with a brush;

2. Dry them well;

3. Rub each potato completely with a little extra virgin olive oil;

4. Lightly sprinkle each potato with kosher salt;

5. Yes, prick each potato a few times--both sides--with a knife or fork; and

6. Put potatoes on a baking sheet, and roast in a pre-heated oven--set at 425 degrees--for about 45 minutes to one hour.

Cooking time will vary depending on the accuracy of the temperature in your oven. Test for doneness after about 40 minutes or so by putting a paring knife into the center of the biggest potato. If the knife slips out easily, they're done. You may also squeeze the middle of the potato for softness to test if they're done.

A few folks in this thread mentioned that they wrap the potato in foil before baking. This will hasten the cooking time (that's why restaurants do it), but you will not have a true baked--or, more correctly, roasted--potato, as it will steam in the foil. Here's what I do for perfect, delicious baked potatoes:

1. Scrub them clean with a brush;

2. Dry them well;

3. Rub each potato completely with a little extra virgin olive oil;

4. Lightly sprinkle each potato with kosher salt;

5. Yes, prick each potato a few times--both sides--with a knife or fork; and

6. Put potatoes on a baking sheet, and roast in a pre-heated oven--set at 425 degrees--for about 45 minutes to one hour.

Cooking time will vary depending on the accuracy of the temperature in your oven. Test for doneness after about 40 minutes or so by putting a paring knife into the center of the biggest potato. If the knife slips out easily, they're done. You may also squeeze the middle of the potato for softness to test if they're done.

Nice tip

we need to have a Borgo's Cooking thread

always looking for new menu items:D

Archived