Please no Mark Sanchez

redman81

One of the ESPN.com guys is predicting the Jets will select Sanchez at #17. Now I know his opinion don't mean anything, but I will not be happy at all if the Jets select him, or any QB for that matter in the 1st round. We have other positions that need help and can get quality ppl to fill them in the draft. There won't be any worthy QB's left when we pick, and Sanchez barely has enough college experience. Please let us just go ILB, DE, or WR. God I hope they are smart enough to not pick QB.

One of the ESPN.com guys is predicting the Jets will select Sanchez at #17. Now I know his opinion don't mean anything, but I will not be happy at all if the Jets select him, or any QB for that matter in the 1st round. We have other positions that need help and can get quality ppl to fill them in the draft. There won't be any worthy QB's left when we pick, and Sanchez barely has enough college experience. Please let us just go ILB, DE, or WR. God I hope they are smart enough to not pick QB.

I have to respectfully disagree. I understand we need help at other positions, but the golden rule is, if you don't have a franchise QB, you don't pass on one if the opportunity comes along. That brings along the question of whether you think he's capable of being a franchise QB, I say yes.

Sanchez; 3,207 passing yards, 34 tds & 10 ints. 66% of his passes completed. Played very well in big games, including the Rose Bowl where he beat a very good Penn State defense on 28 of 35 passing for 413 yards and 4 passing tds, as well as 1 rushing.

He does lack experience, but he has played his entire career under center in a great prostyle offense. He has had fantastic coaching as well. He is comfortable making audibles and can make all the reads. He moves well inside and out of the pocket and throws very well on the run. He's got a good to very good arm and an extremely quick release, which makes his arm look even better.

I don't dislike freeman and davis, but I don't think either are even close to being on the level of sanchez. They have strong arms and good size, but they are nearly as polished as Sanchez, who only started one full year.

- I am a firm beleiver that ILB is not a glory position and can be filled with later round picks. I just don't see how Rey Rey's play would warrant a first round pick compared to a Jasper Brinkley who you could have in the 3rd. ILBs do not need elite skills to succeed and succeed well. Besides, we need an ILB who can cover, someone to compliment Harris and Rey is very stiff in coverage.

- I wouldnt mind Tyson Jackson in the first as I know we have a definite need on the Dline, but someone like ziggy hood or jasob gilbert I feel could do a good job as well.

- WR, I think is our most pressing need. I think we need someone to roll coverages, we just don't have that on our team. However, if our FO feels that we don't have a franchise QB on our roster as of now, I think we nab Sanchez if he's available come #17.

I have to respectfully disagree. I understand we need help at other positions, but the golden rule is, if you don't have a franchise QB, you don't pass on one if the opportunity comes along. That brings along the question of whether you think he's capable of being a franchise QB, I say yes.

Sanchez; 3,207 passing yards, 34 tds & 10 ints. 66% of his passes completed. Played very well in big games, including the Rose Bowl where he beat a very good Penn State defense on 28 of 35 passing for 413 yards and 4 passing tds, as well as 1 rushing.

He does lack experience, but he has played his entire career under center in a great prostyle offense. He has had fantastic coaching as well. He is comfortable making audibles and can make all the reads. He moves well inside and out of the pocket and throws very well on the run. He's got a good to very good arm and an extremely quick release, which makes his arm look even better.

I don't dislike freeman and davis, but I don't think either are even close to being on the level of sanchez. They have strong arms and good size, but they are nearly as polished as Sanchez, who only started one full year.

- I am a firm beleiver that ILB is not a glory position and can be filled with later round picks. I just don't see how Rey Rey's play would warrant a first round pick compared to a Jasper Brinkley who you could have in the 3rd. ILBs do not need elite skills to succeed and succeed well. Besides, we need an ILB who can cover, someone to compliment Harris and Rey is very stiff in coverage.

- I wouldnt mind Tyson Jackson in the first as I know we have a definite need on the Dline, but someone like ziggy hood or jasob gilbert I feel could do a good job as well.

- WR, I think is our most pressing need. I think we need someone to roll coverages, we just don't have that on our team. However, if our FO feels that we don't have a franchise QB on our roster as of now, I think we nab Sanchez if he's available come #17.

Just to add to your post, considering his biggest weakness is far and away lack of experienece we'd be a good spot for him because we'd be able to let him sit for at least a year while Clemens/Ratliff/veteran plays. If he did come after a season it would be to a team that relies on the running game and defense (assuming Ryan builds the team like he says he will) so he wouldn't be asked to win games immediately either. If Clemens or Ratliff fail to impress enough to warrant long term confidence than Sanchez would be nice insurance. If they do impress then we'll have a some what desirable chip to trade for something. I think the biggest thing with Sanchez is not to rush him. If a team handles him with patience he can be very good. He has a good all around skill set.

That's the problem. IMO Sanchez is NOT a franchise QB by any means.

Mark Sanchez might not be the best QB in the draft but he is by far the most NFL ready QB.

I would blow myself if he falls to us at 17.

Still trying to get that image out of my head, thanks. But I think if the Jets find Sanchez to be a franchise qb and he makes it past the niners at the 10 spot we will move up to get him. I think he will do well in the nfl. I haven't watched him other then the penn st. game which he did very well.

- I am a firm believer that ILB is not a glory position and can be filled with later round picks. I just don't see how Rey Rey's play would warrant a first round pick compared to a Jasper Brinkley who you could have in the 3rd. ILBs do not need elite skills to succeed and succeed well. Besides, we need an ILB who can cover, someone to compliment Harris and Rey is very stiff in coverage.

The only thing that worries me about Sanchez and the guy I like the most, Stafford, is that they are Juniors.

How often do Juniors work out at the next level?

KC is our guy. Its his last year on contract, he has experience, lets give the kid a shot with a real oline and a solid running game.

Kellen Clemens in 09!

Still trying to get that image out of my head, thanks. But I think if the Jets find Sanchez to be a franchise qb and he makes it past the niners at the 10 spot we will move up to get him. I think he will do well in the nfl. I haven't watched him other then the penn st. game which he did very well.

I believe Sanchez has it all, I want this man throwing for the Jets.

F*** KELLEN CLEMENS.

I agree. We need a QB, but we MAY already have one on the roster. If we build a good enough D we can probably win without a stud QB, however.

The only thing that worries me about Sanchez and the guy I like the most, Stafford, is that they are Juniors.

How often do Juniors work out at the next level?

KC is our guy. Its his last year on contract, he has experience, lets give the kid a shot with a real oline and a solid running game.

Kellen Clemens in 09!

Very good point. Junior QBs often do not workout and I have a general theory on why. I have not been able to do the research on it, but I would contend that most of the Juniors who come out are highly touted and taken high up the draft by bad teams. If this is true, they most likely aren't allowed a chance to develop properly and thus have a high bust rate.

However, the thing I really like about Sanchez is the fact he played in a pro-style offense, is comfortable under center, can make all the reads and has a quick release, so his transition won't be as drastic as some others.

However, I am fully willing to give Clemens a shot and think with a talented, speedy receiver (Maclin, DHB etc.) he could have some great success.

Very good point. Junior QBs often do not workout and I have a general theory on why. I have not been able to do the research on it, but I would contend that most of the Juniors who come out are highly touted and taken high up the draft by bad teams. If this is true, they most likely aren't allowed a chance to develop properly and thus have a high bust rate.

The most popular theory right now was originally concocted by David Lewin, who argued that the two biggest factors in projecting the success of QBs taken in the 1st round are accuracy and number of collegiate starts. The accuracy part is obvious; if you can't complete 60% of your passes against college competition, you're probably not going to be able to do it in the pros. The idea behind the experience bit hearkens back to the Moneyball concept that scouts always trust their eyes more than they trust stats--so when they only have 16 games of film to work with, as in Sanchez's case, it's tougher for them to get an accurate read on his strengths and weaknesses.

What's interesting is that Lewin actually has "Sixteen-Start" Sanchez ranked as the #1 QB in the 2009 draft, so who knows what to think anymore.

Unless we have plans to trade up to the first pick to get Matt Stafford, I don't want a quarterback from this draft on the Jets next year. Keep in mind this is a Gators fan saying he wants a bulldog on the Jets.

I don't like Clemens, and I like Ratliff a little, so if I had to choose between the two of them, I would go with Ratliff.

Unless we have plans to trade up to the first pick to get Matt Stafford, I don't want a quarterback from this draft on the Jets next year. Keep in mind this is a Gators fan saying he wants a bulldog on the Jets.

I don't like Clemens, and I like Ratliff a little, so if I had to choose between the two of them, I would go with Ratliff.

Can we trust anything you say... I mean... you do think the Magic are legit... I dont know.... :lol:

Can we trust anything you say... I mean... you do think the Magic are legit... I dont know.... :lol:

Dude, shut the **** up, with Jameer Nelson you know the Magic are better then the Cleveland Cavs. Everyone is just afraid to admit it, without Jameer though, I agree they're done, besides what the **** does that have to do with the Jets?

Why not keep it on topic, douchebag.

Dude, shut the **** up, with Jameer Nelson you know the Magic are better then the Cleveland Cavs. Everyone is just afraid to admit it, without Jameer though, I agree they're done, besides what the **** does that have to do with the Jets?

Why not keep it on topic, douchebag.

That was too easy... lol... I was just trying to see if you were still dedicated...

Unless we have plans to trade up to the first pick to get Matt Stafford, I don't want a quarterback from this draft on the Jets next year. Keep in mind this is a Gators fan saying he wants a Bulldog on the Jets.

And that's saying A LOT !! :biggrin: I'd rather have Stafford than Sanchez as well.

Kiper says the JETS are morons if they pick Sanchez. He's high on Ratliff. He ses we should pick a Wide reciever or a Corner, a position of need and see what Ratliff can do with our O-line. Clemens is a bust!

Kiper says the JETS are morons if they pick Sanchez. He's high on Ratliff. He ses we should pick a Wide reciever or a Corner, a position of need and see what Ratliff can do with our O-line. Clemens is a bust!

If we pick another ****ing cornerback, I'm gonna go bat**** insane.

Matt Leinart came out of the same prostyle offense and look how he is doing backing up for kurt warner we dont need a back up

no, u heard wrong..jets are thinking of doing the dirty sanchez at draft this year,,apparentl ya favorite of Rex's

Archived