Continenetal Commuter Aircraft Crashes Near Buffalo

The Gun Of Bavaria

Sounds like ice was a part

I know people in Clarence..i think they are ok

Apparently it made a direct hit into one house from early reports last nite. It was 5 miles out making it's approach. It was windy as hell all day here yesterday but the winds had died down considerably by 10:30 last nite. RIP

Ahhhh this is tough to watch.

I worked the flight 587 crash in Belle Harbor in 2001 and this sounds eerily similar, going straight down into a home.

My heart and prayers go out to the families and also the first responders, many of whom are going to see things that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives....whether it be the crash scene, the temp. morgue or the family center itself where the families awaiting info. on loved ones will be inconsolable and devastated.

A living nightmare for everyone involved.

So sad.

Turboprops are actually safer than jets for the most part. So many factors can play into something like this. By all accounts this thing just dove out of the sky on approach. Wonder if wind shear played a part?

They're saying right now on local TV that pilots were reporting ice buildups on the wings 20 miles out from the airport. Hopefully the black box will clear it up some.

Ahhhh this is tough to watch.

I worked the flight 587 crash in Belle Harbor in 2001 and this sounds eerily similar, going straight down into a home.

My heart and prayers go out to the families and also the first responders, many of whom are going to see things that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives....whether it be the crash scene, the temp. morgue or the family center itself where the families awaiting info. on loved ones will be inconsolable and devastated.

A living nightmare for everyone involved.

So sad.

If there's anything positive out of this horrific event is that the plane only hit one house. It could easily have taken out the entire neighborhood.

Heading home now from the detroit airport...I was in St Louis all week. When I told my wife about the crash in NY this morning she was wishing I hadn't told her. Good thing she didn't notice what the date is.

I was in a big jet though...have to admit I avoid those little puddle-jumpers at all costs.

I don't mind flying turbo props at all

Living in a small town, we get those planes al the time

Just a freak accident

it wasn't just a freak accident. these exact types of planes have had numerous problems and many countries have stopped using them all together because of safety concerns.

So sad, one of the ladies was going to Buffalo for what would have been her husbands 50 birthday (he was killed in 9/11) to his family. Sooo heartbreaking.

I heard what Obama said but out here they said she was coming back for her HS classes ( Sacred Heart Academy ) 40th reunion. She was going to set up 2 scholarships in his honor there.

it wasn't just a freak accident. these exact types of planes have had numerous problems and many countries have stopped using them all together because of safety concerns.

The aircraft that crashed was comissioned April 18 2008 -- it wasn't even a year old

And I've heard the exact opposite about that model plane. Excellent safety record. It's like the story about the 9/11 widows husband. One station said he would have been 50 another said 58.

The aircraft that crashed was comissioned April 18 2008 -- it wasn't even a year old

yeah, so even only a year old and it was unsafe. many companies have stopped buying them and using them brand new because of the safety concerns. sweden doesn't even allow them to be flown there anymore.

And I've heard the exact opposite about that model plane. Excellent safety record. It's like the story about the 9/11 widows husband. One station said he would have been 50 another said 58.

well, you heard wrong.

and, in all honesty, i am tired of hearing about that woman. talk about one of the other 49 people whose lives were worth just as much as hers, and ended in the same fashion.

Archived