Sign in to follow this  
Otter

Red Sox Owner Calls for Salary Cap

baseball does need a hard cap though....he is right.

I am all for a cap. I say it should be about 310 million per team.

Play ball!

no it doesn't. there's not really a level playing field. just cause the yankees have spent 200 million the last 5 years and haven't won doesn't make it parity...it just means the yankees did alot of choking. only fans that i know of who don't think there shoudl be a cap are yankees fans......and it's pretty obvious why.

I am ALL for a cap. Let's get rid of the welfare system that is in place now and put in a cap. I would love that, I have always said that.

The Yankees did much better when they were building teams instead of trying to sell out the stadium every day. Give the Yankees back their luxury tax dollars and they can get back to winning Championships.

He didn't get hosed, he got outspent. It happens.

Bro he got hosed. The Yankees weren't even part of the discussion. It was basically announced that Tex was on the Red Sox. Then he was a Yankee.

When you are offering somebody 943 million and the other team gets him for 951 million, money should be the reason you lost him. :-P

Yeah, it kills the NFL. :rolleyes:

If they made a max say 150 million and a minimum of 75.

Going by the ESPN salary tracker:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=bos

57+ million would need to be cut from salaries. All from the Yankees.

My rough math has 235 million needing to be cut. That puts a net amount of +178 million that needs to be added.

Maybe the 150/75 is not economically feasible for all teams if that is the case, then team moves to a market that can support it.

That would be awesome. Just awesome. I would take that in a second.

Sadly it will never happen and that has nothing to do with the Yankees.

Before you can get to a cap, you have to institute true revenue sharing.

It is like putting a cart before the horse.

Agreed that a system like that (NFL) makes more sense. But there is ZERO chance of that ever happening.

Hey Steinbrenner Kids,

We are pleased to inform you that due to the new NFL revenue sharing plan, your team is now worth 74% less.

Signed,

Bud Selig

Dear Florida Marlin Board Of Directors,

We are pleased to inform you that due to the new NFL revenue sharing plan, your team is now worth 172% more.

• Upvote 1

That's nice revisionist history. The Sox announced that they were out of the race for Tex, that they couldn't afford him. It was then reported that they might still be talking. The next day, the Yankees outbid them, and he took the money and ran.

Good for him.

I am not talking about what the Sox or Yankees said publicly. They kept talking to Tex, the public stuff was just to help their bargaining power.

ESPN reported that Tex to the Sox was done: http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68678

So that meant the Yankees jumped back in and got him. You know who was outbid for Tex? The Pirates. Sure they would have wanted him but they could have only paid 2 million per year. :-P

Your young GM that you love so much was beat by Brian C. That is like getting beat by Terry Bradway. Not something to be proud of.

Because the formula for selling out every game and getting the biggest names may not be the same formula for winning championships.

It definitely isn't the same formula. The Jets just saw this with Brett Favre. The Redskins and Cowboys see it pretty much every year. And the Yankees have seen it plenty in recent years.

The hope now is the Yankees went so far over the top, that they can make it somehow work this year. :-P

the royals, brewers, blue jays, orioles, pirates, reds and nationals might take exception. Anyway, carry on.

Why would anyone care about those AAA teams?

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company