Sign in to follow this  
Otter

Red Sox Owner Calls for Salary Cap

They are forced to give money to the other teams... there are rules in place to make it work...

I think it is pretty level... if it wasnt why the heck arent the big teams winning it ever single year?

Because the formula for selling out every game and getting the biggest names may not be the same formula for winning championships.

If Henry wants to seem more credible when he moans for a salary cap, he should do it when he hasn't just lost out on a big player to the Yankees. 1st time he called for one was when they lost out on A-Rod, this time he calls for it after he lost out on Teixeira. Cry me a river.

This is 100% true.

I would support a salary cap. And in large part for what Sharrow said.

But he needs to lobby for it every season, not only when he's outspent in the offseason. He also shouldn't spend 50mil to talk to player.

While his idea may be on point, it reeks of bitterness due to his timing.

That is the crux of the matter.

While Henry does seem disingenuous calling for a salary cap only when he loses out on a player, what would the reaction be if he called for a salary cap after signing Dice-K for over a 100 million?

He would have been ripped to shreds by the media and Steinbrenner.

The economic downturn is the best opportunity to do it since A-Rod was lost.

And he would tell you, 'well, until there is one, it's just keeping up with the jones's'.

But, if you want to affect change, then you've got to practice what you preach first. And you shouldn't be #2 in spending.

I simply don't buy the comparisons to football going on in this thread however. I'm not saying one sport is better than the other, but I think it's harder to be successful in football than it is in baseball. From a team, not a player, standpoint.

There are no systems to fit into, there's no playbook to learn. Sure, there are some basics in baseball, but at the end of the day, if you're a good hitter, you're a good hitter, and it doesn't matter as much what goes on around you. Unlike a CB, who will get roasted if there is no passrush, a hitter still has far more control. Same goes for a pitcher. There's a reason they call football the consummate team sport. Outside of your Brady's and your Mannings, there are far less players in the NFL that can control the outcome of a game nearly on their own as there are in MLB.

• Upvote 1

And to whose benefit? The Yankees?

You cannot make a 700 million investment and then lead that cause and watch your investment devalue. I am sure the lenders would be cool with that.

No, it's true. It would be disastrous for the team. But if you want to lobby for a cap, you can't do it being the #2 in spending, with your bitter rival being #1. It just comes off poorly and is easily dismissible.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company