Red Sox Owner Calls for Salary Cap

Otter

Yeah, it kills the NFL. :rolleyes:

If they made a max say 150 million and a minimum of 75.

Going by the ESPN salary tracker:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=bos

57+ million would need to be cut from salaries. All from the Yankees.

My rough math has 235 million needing to be cut. That puts a net amount of +178 million that needs to be added.

Maybe the 150/75 is not economically feasible for all teams if that is the case, then team moves to a market that can support it.

That would be awesome. Just awesome. I would take that in a second.

Sadly it will never happen and that has nothing to do with the Yankees.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before you can get to a cap, you have to institute true revenue sharing.

It is like putting a cart before the horse.

Agreed that a system like that (NFL) makes more sense. But there is ZERO chance of that ever happening.

Hey Steinbrenner Kids,

We are pleased to inform you that due to the new NFL revenue sharing plan, your team is now worth 74% less.

Signed,

Bud Selig

Dear Florida Marlin Board Of Directors,

We are pleased to inform you that due to the new NFL revenue sharing plan, your team is now worth 172% more.

They are forced to give money to the other teams... there are rules in place to make it work...

I think it is pretty level... if it wasnt why the heck arent the big teams winning it ever single year?

Because the formula for selling out every game and getting the biggest names may not be the same formula for winning championships.

If Henry wants to seem more credible when he moans for a salary cap, he should do it when he hasn't just lost out on a big player to the Yankees. 1st time he called for one was when they lost out on A-Rod, this time he calls for it after he lost out on Teixeira. Cry me a river.

This is 100% true.

I would support a salary cap. And in large part for what Sharrow said.

But he needs to lobby for it every season, not only when he's outspent in the offseason. He also shouldn't spend 50mil to talk to player.

While his idea may be on point, it reeks of bitterness due to his timing.

It was basically announced that Tex was on the Red Sox. Then he was a Yankee.

That's nice revisionist history. The Sox announced that they were out of the race for Tex, that they couldn't afford him. It was then reported that they might still be talking. The next day, the Yankees outbid them, and he took the money and ran.

Good for him.

That's nice revisionist history. The Sox announced that they were out of the race for Tex, that they couldn't afford him. It was then reported that they might still be talking. The next day, the Yankees outbid them, and he took the money and ran.

Good for him.

I am not talking about what the Sox or Yankees said publicly. They kept talking to Tex, the public stuff was just to help their bargaining power.

ESPN reported that Tex to the Sox was done: http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68678

So that meant the Yankees jumped back in and got him. You know who was outbid for Tex? The Pirates. Sure they would have wanted him but they could have only paid 2 million per year. :-P

Your young GM that you love so much was beat by Brian C. That is like getting beat by Terry Bradway. Not something to be proud of.

Because the formula for selling out every game and getting the biggest names may not be the same formula for winning championships.

It definitely isn't the same formula. The Jets just saw this with Brett Favre. The Redskins and Cowboys see it pretty much every year. And the Yankees have seen it plenty in recent years.

The hope now is the Yankees went so far over the top, that they can make it somehow work this year. :-P

This is 100% true.

I would support a salary cap. And in large part for what Sharrow said.

But he needs to lobby for it every season, not only when he's outspent in the offseason. He also shouldn't spend 50mil to talk to player.

While his idea may be on point, it reeks of bitterness due to his timing.

That is the crux of the matter.

While Henry does seem disingenuous calling for a salary cap only when he loses out on a player, what would the reaction be if he called for a salary cap after signing Dice-K for over a 100 million?

He would have been ripped to shreds by the media and Steinbrenner.

The economic downturn is the best opportunity to do it since A-Rod was lost.

That is the crux of the matter.

While Henry does seem disingenuous calling for a salary cap only when he loses out on a player, what would the reaction be if he called for a salary cap after signing Dice-K for over a 100 million?

He would have been ripped to shreds by the media and Steinbrenner.

The economic downturn is the best opportunity to do it since A-Rod was lost.

And he would tell you, 'well, until there is one, it's just keeping up with the jones's'.

But, if you want to affect change, then you've got to practice what you preach first. And you shouldn't be #2 in spending.

I simply don't buy the comparisons to football going on in this thread however. I'm not saying one sport is better than the other, but I think it's harder to be successful in football than it is in baseball. From a team, not a player, standpoint.

There are no systems to fit into, there's no playbook to learn. Sure, there are some basics in baseball, but at the end of the day, if you're a good hitter, you're a good hitter, and it doesn't matter as much what goes on around you. Unlike a CB, who will get roasted if there is no passrush, a hitter still has far more control. Same goes for a pitcher. There's a reason they call football the consummate team sport. Outside of your Brady's and your Mannings, there are far less players in the NFL that can control the outcome of a game nearly on their own as there are in MLB.

And he would tell you, 'well, until there is one, it's just keeping up with the jones's'.

But, if you want to affect change, then you've got to practice what you preach first. And you shouldn't be #2 in spending.

I simply don't buy the comparisons to football going on in this thread however. I'm not saying one sport is better than the other, but I think it's harder to be successful in football than it is in baseball. From a team, not a player, standpoint.

There are no systems to fit into, there's no playbook to learn. Sure, there are some basics in baseball, but at the end of the day, if you're a good hitter, you're a good hitter, and it doesn't matter as much what goes on around you. Unlike a CB, who will get roasted if there is no passrush, a hitter still has far more control. Same goes for a pitcher. There's a reason they call football the consummate team sport. Outside of your Brady's and your Mannings, there are far less players in the NFL that can control the outcome of a game nearly on their own as there are in MLB.

And to whose benefit? The Yankees?

You cannot make a 700 million investment and then lead that cause and watch your investment devalue. I am sure the lenders would be cool with that.

And to whose benefit? The Yankees?

You cannot make a 700 million investment and then lead that cause and watch your investment devalue. I am sure the lenders would be cool with that.

No, it's true. It would be disastrous for the team. But if you want to lobby for a cap, you can't do it being the #2 in spending, with your bitter rival being #1. It just comes off poorly and is easily dismissible.

No, it's true. It would be disastrous for the team. But if you want to lobby for a cap, you can't do it being the #2 in spending, with your bitter rival being #1. It just comes off poorly and is easily dismissible.

If you're a Yankee fan perhaps . :roll:

Archived