The ' Everything Movies ' Thread

SouthernJet

Has anyone seen a bootleg of the Japanese flick Departures, that won best foreign film?

Japan's "Departures," a film about a classical musician who prepares bodies for burial, won the Oscar for best foreign language film in an upset over the favored "Waltz With Bashir."

"Departures" is about a cellist (Masahiro Motoki) whose orchestra is disbanded and, desperate for work, becomes a funeral professional. The win should improve the film's U.S. box office when it debuts in May.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iran angered over films 'The Wrestler' and '300'

By NASSER KARIMI

Associated Press Writer

Posted: Today at 8:25 a.m.

Updated: Today at 11:03 a.m.

TEHRAN, Iran — An adviser to Iran's president on Sunday demanded an apology from a team of visiting Hollywood actors and movie industry officials, including Annette Bening, saying films such as "300" and "The Wrestler" were "insulting" to Iranians.

Without an apology, members of Iran's film industry should refuse to meet with representatives from the nine-member team, said Javad Shamaqdari, the art and cinema adviser to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

"In my viewpoint, it is a failure to have an official meeting with one who is insulting," Shamaqdari told The Associated Press.

The film "300," portrays the battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C., in which a force of 300 Spartans held off a massive Persian army at a mountain pass in Greece for three days. It angered many Iranians who think the Persians are depicted as decadent, sexually flamboyant and evil in contrast to the noble Greeks.

Iranians also criticized "The Wrestler" starring Mickey Rourke as a rundown professional wrestler who is preparing for a rematch with his old nemesis, "The Ayatollah." During a fight scene, "The Ayatollah" tries to choke Rourke with an Iranian flag before Rourke pulls the flagpole away, breaks it and throws it into the cheering crowd.

Neither movie was shown in Iran.

2012 Trailers

5VXa82AuwHU

7cKKTOc02u4

after watching the 1st c/attraction I thought "Day after tommorrow Part 2"

then saw the 2nd one -- yep I was right.

Early "Watchers" reviews stink -- that does suck I was going to see it in IMAX Sunday morning -- maybe I will hold off. then again maybe not.

after watching the 1st c/attraction I thought "Day after tommorrow Part 2"

then saw the 2nd one -- yep I was right.

Early "Watchers" reviews stink -- that does suck I was going to see it in IMAX Sunday morning -- maybe I will hold off. then again maybe not.

ya, thing that scares me is early reviews are usually better than when the pros come in later..uhoh

the trailers to watchmen look fantastic....... bad reviews ehh?

slowly inching upwards,,whats worrying me is that the Top reviewers arent real happy,,

But the yare rising somewhat,,abiut 2 to 2 1/2 stars right now..

I 'may' see this weekend,,might only be able to make 1 flick,,

its this or Two Lovers with Jaoquien Phoenix

• 4 weeks later...

Haggling with the Stars

by Kim Masters

April 2, 2009 | 6:39am

img-bs-top---masters-salaries-174_062954641676.jpg Getty Images

Julia Roberts is getting $15 million to make Eat, Pray, Love, but Scarlett Johansson was only offered $250,000 for Iron Man 2. Kim Masters on the tactics Hollywood is using to slash salaries.

You

Haggling with the Stars

by Kim Masters

April 2, 2009 | 6:39am

img-bs-top---masters-salaries-174_062954641676.jpg Getty Images

Julia Roberts is getting $15 million to make Eat, Pray, Love, but Scarlett Johansson was only offered $250,000 for Iron Man 2. Kim Masters on the tactics Hollywood is using to slash salaries.

You

Fast and Furious comes out tommorow. I know it probably wont be as good as the first one but im still pumped.

I've heard it's almost as good as the first which as of now is the only one that counts. I'm looking forward to it. The wife might even go with me. I just found out that The Wrestler is at the art cinema here. I want to see that one too but a babysitter two nights in row just isn't in the cards and it will be coming out on DVD before we know it.

I've heard it's almost as good as the first which as of now is the only one that counts. I'm looking forward to it. The wife might even go with me. I just found out that The Wrestler is at the art cinema here. I want to see that one too but a babysitter two nights in row just isn't in the cards and it will be coming out on DVD before we know it.

not that you care, but early reviews on Furious are iffy,,I assume the car chase sare great, but its getting medicocre reviews so far

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/fastandfurious4

wrester is great......

i tell u what u would like,,the new comedy 'adventureland' is getting rave reviews and is supposedly hilarious...from the Superbad people

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/adventureland

of course, if slumdog is up and u havent seen, go to that...

I saw watchmen sj. it was ok. kinda all over the place though. i wanted it to end really. it kinda dragged on for me

ya i think it was 20 minutes too long,,loved the opening credits showing the alternate world, based on heroes winning vietnam and changing history..

not that you care, but early reviews on Furious are iffy,,I assume the car chase sare great, but its getting medicocre reviews so far

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/fastandfurious4

wrester is great......

i tell u what u would like,,the new comedy 'adventureland' is getting rave reviews and is supposedly hilarious...from the Superbad people

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/adventureland

of course, if slumdog is up and u havent seen, go to that...

Slumdog has already been there and is out on DVD now. My wife did mention wanting to see Adventureland. I think the big sell for her was there is a Violent Femmes song on the soundtrack. Might have to check that out. I'll probably stick to Fast and the Furious though. It started out as beign a guy flick with just my friend and I going but then my wife mentioned that she actually liked the first one so I suggested she ask if my friend's wife wanted to go along too.

ya i think it was 20 minutes too long,,loved the opening credits showing the alternate world, based on heroes winning vietnam and changing history..

yeah we loved the opening too.that was cool. again i'm not sorry I went but too long & went in too many directions

Slumdog has already been there and is out on DVD now. My wife did mention wanting to see Adventureland. I think the big sell for her was there is a Violent Femmes song on the soundtrack. Might have to check that out. I'll probably stick to Fast and the Furious though. It started out as beign a guy flick with just my friend and I going but then my wife mentioned that she actually liked the first one so I suggested she ask if my friend's wife wanted to go along too.

tahts cool,,good news is if girls dont liek it u can say we will do adevntureland next week

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie/opening.php

[url=http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/adventureland/]

so you gonna make it interesting & throw car keys in a hat after the flick?

Archived