Sign in to follow this  
GangGreen

RROD!

If you bought the 360 within the last three years, they will fix it or replace it for free. Just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and they'll hopefully hook you up. Let me know how everything works out--I've gone through this four times now.

If you bought the 360 within the last three years, they will fix it or replace it for free. Just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and they'll hopefully hook you up. Let me know how everything works out--I've gone through this four times now.

Yeah, but the shipping and handling is like 150 bucks, and it takes like 6-8 weeks or more to get it back......

Yeah, but the shipping and handling is like 150 bucks, and it takes like 6-8 weeks or more to get it back......

shipping is free they pay for it for any of there fixes. I had it like a little more hen a year ago and in only took like 2 weeks to get it back

No, if you're inside the warranty the shipping is free and they say they'll get it back to you within 4 weeks. They've taken from 2-8 weeks for me. They ship you a box with a prepaid UPS label already on it, so all you have to do is deliver it to your local UPS store and they'll do the rest for free. Just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX, they'll let you know whether you're in warranty or not.

It's not under warranty anymore...guess I gotta go back to Def Jam NY on Xbox.

Get a PS3

Problem solved.

It's not under warranty anymore...guess I gotta go back to Def Jam NY on Xbox.

Did you register the 360? If not just called them up and tell them you got it for a gift in December, they'll honor it.

Did you register the 360? If not just called them up and tell them you got it for a gift in December, they'll honor it.

No, I didn't register it...but it's not like I got it this Christmas, I got it the first Christmas it came out, so the warranty would have expired anyways.

No, I didn't register it...but it's not like I got it this Christmas, I got it the first Christmas it came out, so the warranty would have expired anyways.

Had mine for over a year and got the RROD, called them up and told them it was gift, the rep told me to give them the serial # and he said 'that's one of the older models' I told "who cares I got it as a gift I don't know anything about serial #" They still took it back, you just have to be firm with them, they know this a known problem and its just a guy reading a script anyway. Its worth a try IMO. Just don't take NO for an answer. Or you can pull the ole switch- a-roo with Wal-mart....

Edited by rillo

As long as you didn't open the case up and void the warranty they will fix it for you. Just tell them you got it for a gift for your birthday in 2006... As long as you got it within the last 3 years they will fix it.

As long as you didn't open the case up and void the warranty they will fix it for you. Just tell them you got it for a gift for your birthday in 2006... As long as you got it within the last 3 years they will fix it.

This is true. I had a first gen, first shipment 360, busted 2-3 years later. As long as its' the RROD they WILL cover it.

From wikipedia

Warranty period

Microsoft's extension of the warranty to three years only covers the "red ring of death" general hardware failure, not other errors causing only one flashing red light or video errors not associated with the "red ring of death" or disk tray errors. According to a February 2008 examination of 1040 Xbox 360s by SquareTrade this means that the three year warranty covers only 60% of the expected "disabled" systems.[18]

The warranty is only applicable to the person who originally purchased the Xbox 360. Microsoft will not honor the warranty for an Xbox 360 console that is known to have been bought secondhand.

Out-of-warranty repair service is available for a fee, which includes a one year warranty. Some users affected by the red ring of death have found ways to repair their own consoles, but this voids Microsoft's warranty. [74][75][76][77][74] Gamestop and EB Games have stopped selling their Product Replacement Plan for the Xbox 360. [78]