Nady and Swisher: There shouldn't be any competition

Morrissey

http://www.nomaas.org/

There shouldn't be any competition

With Johnny Damon entrenched as the left fielder and Hideki Matsui using the designated hitter role to recover from left knee surgery, the battle for right field pits Swisher and Nady in a fight for playing time and at-bats.

Asked about the circumstances before Sunday's workout, the hyper-caffeinated Swisher immediately sought out Nady.

"X! Everybody's trying to stir all that controversy again, bro," Swisher said, as Nady shook his head in an amused fashion.

Source: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090222&content_id=3868470&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy&partnerId=rss_nyy

Career OPS+

Swisher: 112

Nady: 108

Career OBP

Swisher: .354

Nady: .335

Career IsoD

Swisher: .110

Nady: .055

Career IsoP

Swisher: .207

Nady: .178

Career BB/PA

Swisher: .136

Nady: .059

#P/PA

Swisher: 4.25

Nady: 3.62

UZR/150 in RF

Swisher: 9.4

Nady: -1.4

Swisher is better in every facet of the game.

I prefer Swisher if he can live up to those #'s. It's hard to say whether or not he's gonna bounce back from last year. The one thing I've heard that I like is he's really brought in a great dynamic to the clubhouse. A lot of people have said that Swish and CC are changing the dynamic of the clubhouse even with all the A-Rod stuff going on. Even if Swishers #'s point to better production I still would rather see a competition.

I prefer Swisher if he can live up to those #'s. It's hard to say whether or not he's gonna bounce back from last year. The one thing I've heard that I like is he's really brought in a great dynamic to the clubhouse. A lot of people have said that Swish and CC are changing the dynamic of the clubhouse even with all the A-Rod stuff going on. Even if Swishers #'s point to better production I still would rather see a competition.

I personally like the depth, but I obviously think Swisher is a better ball player, hopefully Girardi pushes the right buttons.

That's nice for Swisher, but if you go just by last year's stats than it's obvious that Nady should start.

Unless you really think a .219 hitter should start over a .305 hitter who had 97 rbi's to Swisher's 69.

The argument here is that last year for both players was an aberration. For Swisher he had a down year and Nady had a monster year. So which do you trust? Last year or the longer sample size? For me it's hard to say as last year could be the start of a trend for both players. Or it means nothing and like I previous said, was an aberration.

That's nice for Swisher, but if you go just by last year's stats than it's obvious that Nady should start.

Unless you really think a .219 hitter should start over a .305 hitter who had 97 rbi's to Swisher's 69.

Obviously it's pretty dumb to only look at last seasons numbers, especially when both players put up numbers that don't look anything like there career numbers.

Jeez the season hasnt even started yet and you're already doubting the man... think positive BOb

and i rather see swisher out there but i like Nady alot

I watched baseball last season. And the season he "managed" the Marlins.

He had some head scratchers last year, but I did like how he managed the bullpen, that was refreshing after Torre for so many years.

That's my general feeling. I think this year we'll see an improvement from Girard. I actually think he's gonna be a huge factor into how healthy our pitchers stay this year, all of them.

That's my general feeling. I think this year we'll see an improvement from Girard. I actually think he's gonna be a huge factor into how healthy our pitchers stay this year, all of them.

He's got a BOAT LOAD of bullpen arms to chose from, Girardi actually said Coke is working as a reliever, not a starting pitcher, so there's another option. With all those arms, there's no reason to use the same guys everyday, or in the same situation.

The obvious 3 in the bullpen are Rivera, Marte, and Burney.. then there is Veras, Ramirez, Robertson, Coke, Melancon, Sanchez, Albaladejo, and some others in the minors down the line.

He's got a BOAT LOAD of bullpen arms to chose from, Girardi actually said Coke is working as a reliever, not a starting pitcher, so there's another option. With all those arms, there's no reason to use the same guys everyday, or in the same situation.

The obvious 3 in the bullpen are Rivera, Marte, and Burney.. then there is Veras, Ramirez, Robertson, Coke, Melancon, Sanchez, Albaladejo, and some others in the minors down the line.

Yea he's got a lot of arms in the pen, but now it's about making the right choices in the proper innings. I liked Robertson and Ramirez, and Veras offers a change of pace. I'm curious to see how he manages our rotation. If you think about it we got plenty of guys who have injury concerns

CC- Has been healthy but had a lot of wear and tear put on him last year

AJ- Long injury history

Wang- Has been healthy, I think he should be fine

Andy- Getting older, played hurt last year

Joba- Injury history in college and since starting has had some issues.

I still think it was a big mistake to trade low on Jose Tabata and trade high on Xavier Nady, but hopefully we can get a 1st round pick when Boras gets Nady a new contract next offseason.

Yanks were 3 games out I think at the time with plenty of games left. They also got Marte in the deal without parting with anything they hadn't pretty much given up on.

Pudge deal happened right about the same time.

At the time a bat and a very good LH reliever was a must do trade if you're in the thick of things.

Cash went for it and unfortunately it didn't work out last season.

I thought Swisher was going to be a very good player a couple of years ago....now I am not sure while Nady does well with RISP. I guess the better player will get the job assuming Girardi doesn't mess things up. Swisher used to play a little CF also if the Yanks wanna trade defense for offense.

Either way it is very nice depth to have even though I don't think the Yanks would have traded for Swisher had they thought they were in the TEX sweepstakes.

Yanks were 3 games out I think at the time with plenty of games left. They also got Marte in the deal without parting with anything they hadn't pretty much given up on.

Pudge deal happened right about the same time.

At the time a bat and a very good LH reliever was a must do trade if you're in the thick of things.

Cash went for it and unfortunately it didn't work out last season.

I thought Swisher was going to be a very good player a couple of years ago....now I am not sure while Nady does well with RISP. I guess the better player will get the job assuming Girardi doesn't mess things up. Swisher used to play a little CF also if the Yanks wanna trade defense for offense.

Either way it is very nice depth to have even though I don't think the Yanks would have traded for Swisher had they thought they were in the TEX sweepstakes.

Still don't like it, Nady was playing way over his head, we should of been able to get him without giving up Tabata. Take look at Nady's numbers when he got to NY... not good. I like having Marte, but we only got him for a few months, (Re-signed him to a 3 year deal) we obviously wouldn't have had to give the Pirates Tabata for Marte. The 3 pitchers we gave them, might of been enough. The original deal included Phil Coke, luckily they didn't like his medical reports.

I've been pushing for Nady, mostly cause I hadn't watched Swisher much. And Nady delivered for us last year a few times. But if the numbers favor Swisher, I'm fine with that. We'll have some nice depth there, thats for sure. Better then Shelly Duncan.

I've been pushing for Nady, mostly cause I hadn't watched Swisher much. And Nady delivered for us last year a few times. But if the numbers favor Swisher, I'm fine with that. We'll have some nice depth there, thats for sure. Better then Shelly Duncan.

Nady was pretty bad in NY (.268 BA/.320 OBP/.474 SLG/105 OPS+)

If his OBP is .320 for us this year.. he better hit well over .300

Man, I'm listening to Michael Kay and he is just HEAPING praise on Swish. Saying that he is 100% changing the ENTIRE DYNAMIC of our clubhouse. He's loud, laughing, making jokes, went to Girardi and got his permission since the first time since '95 to have music played in the clubhouse.

CC apparently is a guy that the pitching staff, and just players in general, love. They seem to just gravitate towards him, his laid back, easy going personality is contagious. AJ is being said to just fitting in quite well.

Man, I'm listening to Michael Kay and he is just HEAPING praise on Swish. Saying that he is 100% changing the ENTIRE DYNAMIC of our clubhouse. He's loud, laughing, making jokes, went to Girardi and got his permission since the first time since '95 to have music played in the clubhouse.

CC apparently is a guy that the pitching staff, and just players in general, love. They seem to just gravitate towards him, his laid back, easy going personality is contagious. AJ is being said to just fitting in quite well.

Sounds like when Shelley Duncan first came up.

Well Shelley did get some of the usual Yankee hype. Some wanted him playing over Giambi prior to him settling into what he is, a AAA player.

Swisher is TBD. He was awful last year in a hitters park.

Any Yankee fan who pays attention to the Yankees farm system knew Shelley Duncan wasn't any good. There is a reason why he was 27 years old when he made his debut. He's an easy guy to root for, he's got a lot of heart, but that's about it.

Swisher has a track record of being a good ball player, If he gets enough at bats, I expect a big rebound.

Any Yankee fan who pays attention to the Yankees farm system knew Shelley Duncan wasn't any good. There is a reason why he was 27 years old when he made his debut. He's an easy guy to root for, he's got a lot of heart, but that's about it.

Swisher has a track record of being a good ball player, If he gets enough at bats, I expect a big rebound.

+1. Can murder a fastball. Breaking ball not so much. In other words, career minor leaguer written all over him.

Let's hope so as he did look headed in the right direction in 2006 but a .219 BA with 135 K's in 2008 is a rough year no matter how you paint it. He's also a career .244 hitter. At least he takes the free pass to help the on base pct which is huge in a line-up like the Yankees.

He's in a line-up that should help better his numbers though the WSox offered the same in a good hitters park. Maybe Ozzie leading him off and then droppping him to the bottom of the order hurt. I do find it funny in that we are talking about track records that some consider Delgado with a HOF resume more of a question mark than Swisher in 09.

I'll be rooting for Swisher as he is a breath of fresh air to the typical Yankee atmosphetre but also will be anxious to see if playing in Oakland as opposed to big markets like Chicago and NY is the issue. Even in his monster 06 season his clutch or pressure situation stats were discouraging along with a very small post season sample size.

Archived