Universities warning on Mexico for Spring Break destination

SouthernJet

Universities: Spring breaks south of border to be avoided

by Amanda Lee Myers - Feb. 23, 2009 12:00 AM

Associated Press

Going to Mexico for spring break is practically a rite of passage for college students in Arizona, but the state's three public universities want to warn young revelers about stepped-up violence south of the border.

The University of Arizona in Tucson has issued a travel advisory urging students not to go to Mexico, and officials at Arizona State University in Tempe and Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff said they have similar plans to warn students. The schools' spring breaks fall on the second or third weeks of March.

In its notice to students, UA cited a important travel alert issued by the U.S. Department of State in October warning travelers that crime rates have increased sharply in Tijuana, Juarez and Nogales - all Mexican cities that have experienced public shootouts during the daytime in shopping centers and other public places. The department warned that criminals have followed and harassed Americans driving in border areas.

Universities that warn students of violence in Mexico are providing "sage advice," said Special Agent Tom Mangan, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"We have had documented violence, attacks, killings, shootouts with the drug cartels involving not only the military but law-enforcement personnel," he said. "It is indiscriminate violence, and certainly innocent people have been caught up in that collateral damage."

Mexico's drug cartels are waging a bloody fight for smuggling routes and against government forces, dumping beheaded bodies onto streets, carrying out massacres and even tossing grenades into a crowd of revelers - an attack that killed eight people in September.

Mangan said most of the violence is taking place in border towns and along roads at night, not at most popular tourist destinations.

More than 100,000 American teens and people in their early 20s travel to resort areas throughout Mexico during spring break every year, according to the State Department.

The only place that I'd like to go to less than Florida, is Mexico. Which reminds me, give 'em hell Mick!

hahahahaha ill do my best!!! i bought some sandals that have a beer bottle opener on the bottom of them... im going to stick my foot up a mexicans ass and say open my Corona Putho!! :cheers:

probably the coolest thing ever invented a sandal the opens beer2416_leatherfanning_bro_d2.jpg

320389749.jpg

No joke, I have a friend who has to travel Juarez, Mexico for business and he tells me that they are in the middle of a civil war/drug war. The pictures he comes back with are truly disturbing. They open fire on open markets, behead people, they do not care @ all. Not a place you want to be IMO. Especially if you're an American, he fears for his life every time he has to go.

Universities: Spring breaks south of border to be avoided

by Amanda Lee Myers - Feb. 23, 2009 12:00 AM

Associated Press

Going to Mexico for spring break is practically a rite of passage for college students in Arizona, but the state's three public universities want to warn young revelers about stepped-up violence south of the border.

The University of Arizona in Tucson has issued a travel advisory urging students not to go to Mexico, and officials at Arizona State University in Tempe and Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff said they have similar plans to warn students. The schools' spring breaks fall on the second or third weeks of March.

In its notice to students, UA cited a important travel alert issued by the U.S. Department of State in October warning travelers that crime rates have increased sharply in Tijuana, Juarez and Nogales - all Mexican cities that have experienced public shootouts during the daytime in shopping centers and other public places. The department warned that criminals have followed and harassed Americans driving in border areas.

Universities that warn students of violence in Mexico are providing "sage advice," said Special Agent Tom Mangan, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"We have had documented violence, attacks, killings, shootouts with the drug cartels involving not only the military but law-enforcement personnel," he said. "It is indiscriminate violence, and certainly innocent people have been caught up in that collateral damage."

Mexico's drug cartels are waging a bloody fight for smuggling routes and against government forces, dumping beheaded bodies onto streets, carrying out massacres and even tossing grenades into a crowd of revelers - an attack that killed eight people in September.

Mangan said most of the violence is taking place in border towns and along roads at night, not at most popular tourist destinations.

More than 100,000 American teens and people in their early 20s travel to resort areas throughout Mexico during spring break every year, according to the State Department.

thanks for reminding me...more piss in my cornflakes:D

ill be there for spring break.. let one of those little mexicans touch me and its a wrap for them...

I think you are laboring under the misapprehension that this violence they refer too involves some cute little dishwasher dude walking up to folks and trying to put them in a head lock after a few coronas.

machinegun.jpg

machete.JPG

:D

thats a good gun but it tends to jam alot.. I would much rather go with the AK-47 its has less recoil and will shoot even if it was covered in sand :D

'Ceptin, in this particular equation, you are the pale gringo dude in the really big swim shorts holding an umbrella drink while Pablo is holding an AK.

:D;);)

The last time I was in Mexico was in 1996 in Cancun. somebody had robbed a jewelry store and there were about two hundred lil Mexican midgets with automatic rifles there in about two seconds.

I speak Spanish fluently.. and this idiot cab driver kept telling us mucho ***** at chili willies. so I thought it was a club like club laboom. so me and my friend say what the hell, lets go.

We start driving for about 45 minutes through jungles and **** (WTF?)..anyways, we get to this opening and there is a parking lot with a building. the parking lot has about 500 cabs in it. so we pull up to the front door and some hooker goes to me ****y ****y sucky sucky Cien dollares :rolleyes: meanwhile a giant 7 ft 6 500lb Mexican is staring at me (security). I told the cab driver to keep driving and please do not stop or I'll punch you in the face (I told him that in spanish). we got back to our beloved hotel by Isla Mujeres and started over again. we wound up going to Carlos and Charlies (that place is closed now)

I have more stories from this vacation if you like..lol

The last time I was in Mexico was in 1996 in Cancun. somebody had robbed a jewelry store and there were about two hundred lil Mexican midgets with automatic rifles there in about two seconds.

I speak Spanish fluently.. and this idiot cab driver kept telling us mucho ***** at chili willies. so I thought it was a club like club laboom. so me and my friend say what the hell, lets go.

We start driving for about 45 minutes through jungles and **** (WTF?)..anyways, we get to this opening and there is a parking lot with a building. the parking lot has about 500 cabs in it. so we pull up to the front door and some hooker goes to me ****y ****y sucky sucky Cien dollares :rolleyes: meanwhile a giant 7 ft 6 500lb Mexican is staring at me (security). I told the cab driver to keep driving and please do not stop or I'll punch you in the face (I told him that in spanish). we got back to our beloved hotel by Isla Mujeres and started over again. we wound up going to Carlos and Charlies (that place is closed now)

you went to a mexican phag bar!! lol

Stop driving or I'll punch you in the face had me rolling. hahahah

Moar.jpg

Archived