Breaking News Coles released

jetsrule128

from profootballtalk.com

ON FURTHER REVIEW, COLES WALKED AWAY FROM HIS $6 MILLION

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2009, 5:55 p.m.

OK, now this is getting weird.

Despite a report in the New York Daily News that the guaranteed $6 million in base salary that receiver Laveranues Coles is due to earn from the Jets will be reduced by whatever he earns elsewhere, Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger has clarified for us that Coles has walked away from the guaranteed payment.

So, in other words, Coles gave up $6 million guaranteed in search of even more.

So, in other words, the Jets owe him nothing.

There

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:shock: The first thing that comes to my mind is that he's hoping to go to Miami with Chadwick. He better be gambling correctly. $6 mil is serious coin.

I'm sure he has some agreement with Bill and the Phins. No way he walks from that money w/o it IMO. However he's had a few concussions during his career so maybe his brain is scrabbled still LOL.

No quarterback and our WRs Cotchery Stuckey and Smith. Again, LAME.

In a run-heavy system, I think we can find a QB in our group that can manage a game.

Also, we are so far under the cap now, that it is extremely unlikely that our roster as-it-is-now will be what we have on opening day. We are going to sign some vets and make some draft picks to fill needs.

So now we basically lose our best receiver, both of our blocking TEs and our best run blocker. Wonderful.

Coles was our best receiver, but not by a huge margin. I'm also pretty sure we can find a blocking TE somewhere.

I'm sure he has some agreement with Bill and the Phins. No way he walks from that money w/o it IMO. However he's had a few concussions during his career so maybe his brain is scrabbled still LOL.

LOL Couldn't agree more. Let's not forget Parcells drafted him out of FSU.

Great move by the Jets. Coles was a good player for us, but it was time to go. Way too much drama. Love to see them bring in Boldin, however Arizona will probably be asking for the sun, moon and stars for him.

Seems like there are some good wideouts in the draft. Hopefully Rex and Tanny will pick the right one.

I'm so torn right now. I know he hasn't been the same since Penny left. I know that we don't have squat at receiver right now. I have to believe that Coles is going to the Phins. Which will suck. And I have to believe that WR now becomes priority one in the fa or draft. At any rate thanks for the memories coles. We'll miss ya.

Hey guys, we value your opinion:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203116

Some of us are interested in Coles as a stop-gap. The question is, can he be a deep threat?

yes

he has a chronic toe injury, and is getting up there in age, has a primma donna streak in him, but he is super tough

the way to get coles is with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, which is the case right now

admit it jets fans, you don't want to see him go to a team we play this season

yes

he has a chronic toe injury, and is getting up there in age, has a primma donna streak in him, but he is super tough

the way to get coles is with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, which is the case right now

admit it jets fans, you don't want to see him go to a team we play this season

on the contrary i would love to see him in a patriot uniform between him and Randy moss it will be comical to say the least

Thought you meant he'd be cut next, just being an azz. I think he was gone anyway, no? He did have a pretty good '08 though. If Scott stays off the market, maybe he stays.

Hey, you might be right.

With all the talk about Scott being close to a deal with the Ravens, maybe that saves Barton? Maybe that's why they're talking?

Personally, I'd be a little surprised if Scott signed with Baltimore without "testing the waters".

I guess we'll know in a few days.

I find it interesting that for a team with a bunch of holes, it seems like we are creating even more this offseason.

I agree, especially with a BIG question mark @ QB, what WR would want to come here. I know its all about money, but still.

Sperm, after all these moves, what kind of cap room do the jets have now? And I wonder how they compare to the rest of the league cap wise right now. Seems like they are going to be big players again in free agency and/or the draft.

Hard to say because I don't know what was shuffled around at the end of the season. Tannenbaum always does something.

If you want to go with a pretty conservative #, when we released Barrett & Favre we were allegedly at $7-8M under. Since then we've cleared (in very round numbers) $10M between Rhodes & Pace (according to Jason, which I'm prepared to accept), about $5.5M for Baker/Bowens/Kassell, and $6M for Coles. Then figure the salaries of players no longer here to be replaced with league-minimum numbers in the Jets' top-51 (about $300K x 5 players, or about $1.5M. Ratliff was extended earlier, but I don't know how much. Probably not terribly significant.

So it is not unreasonable to guess we have in the neighborhood of $27M with Moore still on the team & counting about $8M.

Coles: Quick Cap Analysis

Posted on February 25th, 2009 by Bent

I already posted this in the main thread, but after the jump is my rough-and-ready initial take on how releasing Coles affects the cap. If you come across any reports that clarify further, please post them here.

I don

Man, I hope so if we throw BIG money to Lewis I'll be really pissed.

they did a film clip of him on nfl live today, and he looked slow. it was mostly the giants game, and even ward beat him easily

he's not the same player

I really don't want to see the jets sign him

Archived