Breaking News Coles released

jetsrule128

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coles: Quick Cap Analysis

Posted on February 25th, 2009 by Bent

I already posted this in the main thread, but after the jump is my rough-and-ready initial take on how releasing Coles affects the cap. If you come across any reports that clarify further, please post them here.

I don

Cimini's update

Update: Jets restructured Coles' contract

February 25, 2009

Okay, here's the deal on the Laveranues Coles situation. Technically, they didn't release him, but they restructured the final year of his contract, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent on Friday.

In other words, they voided the final year. And, from what I'm told, his $6 million salary (guaranteed) will come off the Jets' salary cap.

It's hard to believe that Coles would've surrendered that much in guaranteed money for his freedom - he could've had his freedom and the guarantee - but he apparently reached a good-faith compromise with the team.

I just read that Boldin ran a 4.7 at his combine...

Yep. Fitz wasn't that much faster. Think his was 4.58. Chrebet was no speed-demon. Neither is Welker.

But these guys aren't usually running 40-yard dashes. They cut in, out, zig-zag, etc. If you make really precise cuts, you'll get downfield with more separation than a 4.4-speed guy who doesn't. McCareins and T.O. ran almost identical in the 40 at their respective combines. Does TO appear to have the same difficulty getting open (or getting open deep)?

Sure, someone who runs a 4.3 is faster than someone who runs a 4.7. But it doesn't mean he can get open. Look at Matt Jones (4.35-ish).

He's either the goods or he's not. And Boldin's the goods.

I'm so torn right now. I know he hasn't been the same since Penny left. I know that we don't have squat at receiver right now. I have to believe that Coles is going to the Phins. Which will suck. And I have to believe that WR now becomes priority one in the fa or draft. At any rate thanks for the memories coles. We'll miss ya.

He hasn't been the same since he left the Skins.

Firstly, jetsrule128, this is your best thread EVER. Congrats, your first meaningful thread.

Secondly, thanks to Laveranues for his years of service but as much as it pains me it was time to part ways. He is no longer a number one receiver and we are going (I hope) to try to find a true number one to complement Jerricho, the number two. Whether that be David Clowney, Heyward-Bey, Nicks, Crabtree, whomever, I think he can do AT LEAST what Coles did for us the last couple of seasons.

If he returns, great, but he is the two to Cotchery and we should still look to draft or develop a receiver to fill his void as the number one.

Yep. Fitz wasn't that much faster. Think his was 4.58. Chrebet was no speed-demon. Neither is Welker.

But these guys aren't usually running 40-yard dashes. They cut in, out, zig-zag, etc. If you make really precise cuts, you'll get downfield with more separation than a 4.4-speed guy who doesn't. McCareins and T.O. ran almost identical in the 40 at their respective combines. Does TO appear to have the same difficulty getting open (or getting open deep)?

Sure, someone who runs a 4.3 is faster than someone who runs a 4.7. But it doesn't mean he can get open. Look at Matt Jones (4.35-ish).

i realize that..just surprised he was that slow

I actually thought McCariens did a good job getting open.

Problem was what he did once he was open.

This saves 5m off the cap, assuming the whole cost is defrayed (ie he gets more than the $6m he was due) when he signs with a new team, which I would assume is going to be the case.

That's not how the cap is calculated. His salary was $6M and he was in the last year of his contract. So the Jets save his salary. There is no accelerated cap hit, since the last $1M of his SB was going to hit the cap this year anyway.

He was going to count $7M.

The Jets save $6M.

Now he counts $1M.

Spot on, as usual, Sperm.

Give me game action film over combine any day of the week.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

GOOD BYE LAVERNUES, or however the **** your name is spelled. Dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

:D

Good RIDDANCE.

Firstly, jetsrule128, this is your best thread EVER. Congrats, your first meaningful thread.

Secondly, thanks to Laveranues for his years of service but as much as it pains me it was time to part ways. He is no longer a number one receiver and we are going (I hope) to try to find a true number one to complement Jerricho, the number two. Whether that be David Clowney, Heyward-Bey, Nicks, Crabtree, whomever, I think he can do AT LEAST what Coles did for us the last couple of seasons.

If he returns, great, but he is the two to Cotchery and we should still look to draft or develop a receiver to fill his void as the number one.

So what fa receivers are out there? And do we go get def in fa and then draft off.? or vice versa.

so right now our receiving corps looks like this;

Cotchery

Clowney

Stuckey

Brad Smith

Marcus Henry and

Wallace Wright

pretty thin if you ask me

THANK YOU SO MUCH at least someone else here gets it. This is a ridiculously bad move. There's not much available in the way of FA and unless we make a MAJOR move there we're almost forced into using our first round pick on a WR even if there is a great corner around.

I know he was being paid too much but honestly I can't understand how people are "excited" about this. Because he complained? These days, if the most annoying character on your team is LC then you are one lucky team. With all the primadonnas at WR nowadays, LC wasn't even in the top 10.

Even still this guy continued to play his heart out every game and though he may have been a #2 receiver let's face facts here. Before we had two #2 receivers, now we have ONE #2 and everyone else is just barely fit to occupy the 4th slot. Our WR corps was weakening, now its decimated.

There are a couple, maybe three decent FA WR's. That's it.

BAD MOVE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH at least someone else here gets it. This is a ridiculously bad move. There's not much available in the way of FA and unless we make a MAJOR move there we're almost forced into using our first round pick on a WR even if there is a great corner around.

I know he was being paid too much but honestly I can't understand how people are "excited" about this. Because he complained? These days, if the most annoying character on your team is LC then you are one lucky team. With all the primadonnas at WR nowadays, LC wasn't even in the top 10.

Even still this guy continued to play his heart out every game and though he may have been a #2 receiver let's face facts here. Before we had two #2 receivers, now we have ONE #2 and everyone else is just barely fit to occupy the 4th slot. Our WR corps was weakening, now its decimated.

BAD MOVE.

Agreed on everything. Except, actually, I think that Clowney and Stuckey can contribute a lot.

BAD MOVE.

I don't think anyone is saying they want to go into the seaosn with this group.

But the season doesn't start for 7 months.

I'd like to see what comes out of free agency and the draft before I pass jusgement on February 25th.

Worse comes to worse, I have to believe we can get a receiver to match what LC did last year for less than $7M per.

Agreed on everything. Except, actually, I think that Clowney and Stuckey can contribute a lot.

I wouldn't say they can't, there's no way to tell for sure what is going to become of them. All I know is that despite some flashes neither of them is proven.

So we're potentially looking at going into the draft with only one established receiver ---- that isn't even a #1.

All for what - to save $6 mil? When the salary cap just went up by 4 mil more than expected? We had better sign some damn good free agents with this money -- and it doesn't look like that will happen with Suggs off the market, Scott being close to a deal with Baltimore, Ray Lewis being available but a senior citizen and Housh not showing interest.

to allow his release,

please read the whole story before over reacting

That's what I was thinking too.. lol.

Yeah so he can become a FA.

So that Coles can be released.

Thanks guys, but NO $HIT!

I was just poking fun at NFLN b/c they changed the headline to act like it was a new break in the story.

Please forgive me.

Archived