Moore Release Official

JMJ

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ase_moore.html

New York Jets release guard Brandon Moore

by Dave Hutchinson/Star-Ledger Staff

Thursday February 26, 2009, 4:23 PM

The Jets have released veteran right guard Brandon Moore, The Star Ledger has just learned. An announcement is expected soon.

Moore, who was due a $7 million roster bonus next month, was open to reworking his deal. The Jets, however, wanted to cut his salary - even though he's coming off the best season of his career.

The move saves the Jets $7 million in cap room; they're now roughly $36 million under the cap although they must substract incentives reached this past season from that total.

Moore, 28, has started 73 consecutive regular-season games. He's the Jets' best run blocker and is entering the prime of his career. Last season, most of the Jets' biggest runs were to the right side behind him and tackle Damien Woody.

Running back Thomas Jones led the AFC in rushing with 1,312 yards and a career-high and franchise-record 13 touchdowns.

Moore may have a soft landing. He and Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu are the top two guards in free agency and should command plenty of attention when free agency begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday morning.

The Jets are expected move Woody to right guard and plug in either Robert Turner or Wayne Hunter at right tackle.

I'm going to wait a few days before I flip over this. I'm guessing they have a plan.

Thank you. This isn't like the Kendall situation where Mangidiot was playing his pompous, baby-like mind games in spite of what was best for the team.

He's gone now. Tannenbaum, Rex, and Callahan have a clue how to do their job unlike Mangini and would not be doing this if they felt it was going to be a detriment to the team. They certainly have a plan.

There goes my theory that it either wouldn't happen, or that if it did, it wouldn't happen until a few days after free agency began.

Oh well. I'm sure there is a plan, especially with Callahan as the OLine coach.

I'm with you, totally surprised at the timing.

This is a rough time to be a jets fan. the O-line is the best part of this team, the man was willing to redo his contract why would you let him go?? Stupid!!! we hurting at QB, no goal line RB only 1 good WR need a ILB and the secondary still sux! hope we sign some key guys at midnight.

You don't give decent but not special guards 7 million for a year. You give 7 time Pro Bowl guards 7 million a year (See: Faneca). Moore was a nice little run blocker, but slightly below average against the Pass and not worth what he was going to cost against the salary cap.

And Sorry, I don't care what Moore's 2010-2012 cap hits look like, because he was going to bitch and moan after next year anyways about his contract situation because those numbers were overly beneficial to the Jets.

I'm a little concerned if our plan is too look at the internal options, but if there's one thing I know it's that Bill Callahan knows Offensive Lines which inspires a little bit of confidence in me.

Just an awful, awful move. From a fan and team stand point, why draft a guy keep him in your system and wait until he's playing his best in his prime only to release him? We have the money to negotiate the contract, unless they're looking to trade for Boldin, extend Washington and find a suitable replacement this is a ridiculous move. It could be they're going after Brown from Baltimore

Everyone in the other (stupid) thread about the Jets trying to "buy a championship" are complaining that we have to be more like the Eagles and the Steelers. Build through the draft, be careful who we sign in free agency and etc.

One of the things that both the Eagles and Steelers both are respected for most around the NFL is how often they lose quality young players by being smart about which they let leave and which they give big money contracts to.

If anything, Jets fans should be commending the Jets for getting 5 years of starting RG play out of former DT being paid peanuts compared to other starting offensive lineman in the league. Then, when the the time comes to decide whether they should pay big money to said player or decide that unfortunately he is one they must let walk, they are willing to do it.

I'm sorry. I like Brandon Moore as much as the next guy. I've been defending him on Jets boards long before people were calling him "our best run blocker," but he is simply not worth $7M and/or a $6M cap figure this year. And with no CBA in place, we couldn't restructure his deal as that would make the contract in violation of the rules. And if we didn't restructure, but we did pay him the $7M this year, he'd hold out again next year anyway since he is only due to make $980,000. There is no way a starting guard is playing for that in today's NFL. Especially not one who already left camp once before (in 2006) due to being unhappy with his contract.

Moore had to go and I'm sure Callahan, Rex, and Tanny have a plan. Rest easy.

Stacey Andrews. That's the only explanation I can think of. Like Woody, he's got experience at RG and RT, so he can slot in at either spot. He's younger than Moore, Better than Moore, and has more upside than Moore. That said, why make this move now? And if you lose out on Andrews, what then?

Stacey Andrews. That's the only explanation I can think of. Like Woody, he's got experience at RG and RT, so he can slot in at either spot. He's younger than Moore, Better than Moore, and has more upside than Moore. That said, why make this move now? And if you lose out on Andrews, what then?

Because they knew no matter what happens they aren't paying Brandon Freakin Moore 7 million dollars!

Because they knew no matter what happens they aren't paying Brandon Freakin Moore 7 million dollars!

And if they paid him $7M this year, there is no way he's playing for $980,000 next year and will be a camp holdout or a guy we have to resign to a big money deal with lots of guaranteed money one freaking year after giving him over $7M.

And if they paid him $7M this year, there is no way he's playing for $980,000 next year and will be a camp holdout or a guy we have to resign to a big money deal with lots of guaranteed money one freaking year after giving him over $7M.

Which is why I'm not freaking out over this. I would freak out if he counted $8M against this year's cap only to watch him hold out of camp next year. THAT would be stupid.

I'm still at 'wait & see' on this as to the team's ultimate solution to the vacancy. On the surface, it's a no-brainer no matter how many people scream that the sky is falling. He simply isn't worth that kind of money. Every time an offensive lineman needs to be replaced it isn't a tragedy & you don't always end up with Adrien Clarke.

Which is why I'm not freaking out over this. I would freak out if he counted $8M against this year's cap only to watch him hold out of camp next year. THAT would be stupid.

I'm still at 'wait & see' on this as to the team's ultimate solution to the vacancy. On the surface, it's a no-brainer no matter how many people scream that the sky is falling. He simply isn't worth that kind of money. Every time an offensive lineman needs to be replaced it isn't a tragedy & you don't always end up with Adrien Clarke.

Glad you agree. When you talk sense people around here seem to listen.

Also this time there is a whole of season to replace Moore, lots of options out there, let someone else overpay for him. I'm positive the team has a plan this time.

Another reason it is not the Kendall situation is because when we replaced Kendall, his replacement was playing in between two 2nd year starters in D'Brick and Nick, and we had a turnstile at RT in Anthony Clement. That OLine was terrible which made everyone's job harder and all mistakes magnified.

Woody's replacement would be playing on a line with 4 first round picks, between a 4th year Pro Bowler (Nick) and former Pro Bowler (Woody), with another Pro Bowler on the other side (Faneca) with damn good LT who is now a 4th year player. And that is still only if they don't move Woody over to guard and sign a RT.

The situations are night and day.

And lastly, we didn't have Bill Callahan as an OLine coach then either. If Callahan thinks we can survive or upgrade the line without Moore, then I'm all on board also. The guy is one of the best in the business. It is the equivalent of us questioning a move Westhoff makes with one of the special teams units. Anything he or Callahan does with one of their units is done in a calculating manner. This is in no way similar to Mangidiot sacrificing the good of the team for his pompous, kid-like ego.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ase_moore.html

New York Jets release guard Brandon Moore

by Dave Hutchinson/Star-Ledger Staff

Thursday February 26, 2009, 4:23 PM

The Jets have released veteran right guard Brandon Moore, The Star Ledger has just learned. An announcement is expected soon.

Moore, who was due a $7 million roster bonus next month, was open to reworking his deal. The Jets, however, wanted to cut his salary - even though he's coming off the best season of his career.

The move saves the Jets $7 million in cap room; they're now roughly $36 million under the cap although they must substract incentives reached this past season from that total.

Moore, 28, has started 73 consecutive regular-season games. He's the Jets' best run blocker and is entering the prime of his career. Last season, most of the Jets' biggest runs were to the right side behind him and tackle Damien Woody.

Running back Thomas Jones led the AFC in rushing with 1,312 yards and a career-high and franchise-record 13 touchdowns.

Moore may have a soft landing. He and Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu are the top two guards in free agency and should command plenty of attention when free agency begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday morning.

The Jets are expected move Woody to right guard and plug in either Robert Turner or Wayne Hunter at right tackle.

I do not buy that he is the team's best run blocker. He was here last year. Woody came in this year and suddenly they can run the ball to the rlight. I give Woody credit for the difference. I also do not believe that their "brain" trust sat around a table and said "Let's do something really stupid this off season." They graded Moore out and choked on the idea of handing him 7 mill.

Another reason it is not the Kendall situation is because when we replaced Kendall, his replacement was playing in between two 2nd year starters in D'Brick and Nick, and we had a turnstile at RT in Anthony Clement. That OLine was terrible which made everyone's job harder and all mistakes magnified.

Woody's replacement would be playing on a line with 4 first round picks, between a 4th year Pro Bowler (Nick) and former Pro Bowler (Woody), with another Pro Bowler on the other side (Faneca) with damn good LT who is now a 4th year player. And that is still only if they don't move Woody over to guard and sign a RT.

The situations are night and day.

And lastly, we didn't have Bill Callahan as an OLine coach then either. If Callahan thinks we can survive or upgrade the line without Moore, then I'm all on board also. The guy is one of the best in the business. It is the equivalent of us questioning a move Westhoff mas cheaperkes with one of the special teams units. Anything he or Callahan does with one of their units is done in a calculating manner. This is in no way similar to Mangidiot sacrificing the good of the team for his pompous, kid-like ego.

I agree. I said something similar in another post. I think Callahan was responsible for Moore's improvement and they think they can do this cheaper.

Archived