Scott signs with Jets! ($8M/yr)

BroadwayJ667

Free agent linebacker Bart Scott has just finalized a multi-year contract with the New York Jets, sources close to the situation have just informed the National Football Post.

A seven-year veteran out of Southern Illinois, Scott had 82 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 16 games for the Ravens last season.

More on this story as it develops.

edit*******

UPDATE: It's done. Again.

After several hours of high-stakes negotiations with the Jets and Ravens, coveted linebacker Bart Scott has agreed to sign with the Jets, according to a league source.

The deal is believed to be for $48 million over 6 years, but the last year is an option.

The Jets can stop sweating. The two sides agreed in principle late in the morning, but Scott's agent rekindled talks with the Ravens, fueling speculation that Scott was going to jilt the Jets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/02/27/2009-02-27_free_agent_linebacker_bart_scott_agrees_.html

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Free agent linebacker Bart Scott has just finalized a multi-year contract with the New York Jets, sources close to the situation have just informed the National Football Post.

A seven-year veteran out of Southern Illinois, Scott had 82 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 16 games for the Ravens last season.

More on this story as it develops.

link?????

For starters, when you can upgrade you upgrade. Harris isn't JAG but he's closer to JAG than he is to very good.

Also, Scott has played outside before, and #99 on the current team does blow.

But, wouldn't you think there are more appropriate was to appropriate (see what I did there?) the money that we have available than by upgrading a position that doesn't need to be upgraded?

Especially with major needs at CB, S, G, and QB still looming.

But, wouldn't you think there are more appropriate was to appropriate (see what I did there?) the money that we have available than by upgrading a position that doesn't need to be upgraded?

Especially with major needs at CB, S, G, and QB still looming.

QB is just a strange call to make. There are no young QB's with a track record for being above-average out there. With BS sticking as OC, I think the Jets just bring in some guy who might be not-horrible for 1 year just in case our current guys are the suck beyond belief.

An acceptable OG, for well under an $8M cap hit, can be found as long as you don't start looking in the 6th round or after all the decent FA's are gone (like we did in 2006).

S - I think we're going with Leonhard (seems to be the predominant rumor) and will bring back either Eric Smith or Elam.

CB - I believe they'll address this with our first round pick, unless they grab someone like Lucas.

WR is the biggest question mark. Rookies don't usually do much in year one, and certainly not to the point where they assume the role of "#1 WR" that early. And there doesn't seem to be much out there in FA. I think they'll draft one, but I would be surprised if it was in round 1.

Ryan wants to show his stuff off. That means defense. Unless 16 teams somehow pass on Crabtree, that is.

Who is going to be a pass rushing DE now that we have a coach with a brain in his head.

Hey , DM, first off let me say, I don't like the signing, Scott played next to the greatest and his numbers since 06 suk, BUT with that said

Notice He was an Undrafted Free agent, which means he must've shown something in preseason they liked, sound like anyone we know?lol

QB is just a strange call to make. There are no young QB's with a track record for being above-average out there. With BS sticking as OC, I think the Jets just bring in some guy who might be not-horrible for 1 year just in case our current guys are the suck beyond belief.

An acceptable OG, for well under an $8M cap hit, can be found as long as you don't start looking in the 6th round or after all the decent FA's are gone (like we did in 2006).

S - I think we're going with Leonhard (seems to be the predominant rumor) and will bring back either Eric Smith or Elam.

CB - I believe they'll address this with our first round pick, unless they grab someone like Lucas.

WR is the biggest question mark. Rookies don't usually do much in year one, and certainly not to the point where they assume the role of "#1 WR" that early. And there doesn't seem to be much out there in FA. I think they'll draft one, but I would be surprised if it was in round 1.

Ryan wants to show his stuff off. That means defense. Unless 16 teams somehow pass on Crabtree, that is.

i agree with CB, unless Nicks drops to 17

I think we probably need to add a FA CB AND draft one on the 1st day.

I don't know that 16 teams need to pass on Crabtree. Call me crazy, but I just don't see us sitting at 17. Hasn't been our style in a long time.

Agree 100% especially with the last sentence.

Fans of the team that drafted Ted Ginn shouldn't throw stones.

Well, Ted Ginn has been a starter his first 2 seasons, and has shown strong imporovement througout his career. He nearly doubled his production on the field from 07' to 08' and, has been a healthy player.

Vernon, had 13 tackles all season and was even deactivated for a game.

If you want to rag us for bad drafting, hit me with taking Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees and taking Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin.

Archived