Scott signs with Jets! ($8M/yr)

BroadwayJ667

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great signing plain and simple.

Doesnt matter if he is the best in the league or if the is just a very good player.

Rex coached the guy for many years, if he wanted him, there is a reason and I am very excited to see that reason in action.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and we're going to be running the identical type of defense here in NJ. Remember our DC is the same guy

well i'm pretty sure that when scott played olb....it was when the ravens were still using the 4-3 predominantly. we'll be using the 3-4 predominantly.....most likely. scott will be ilb for us then. if we do switch to a 4-3 on occasion maybe he'll play olb.....or maybe he plays mlb and harris moves or sits that play out. idk. but scott will be ilb for us.

Anxiously awaiting the official report.

Assuming that it will come later today, it is striking to compare the quality of FAs Tanny has signed in the last 2 years with that Bradway signed in his whole tenure.

Tanny seemed to follow Bradway's model his first 2 years then went in a different direction.

Bradway's biggest FA moments was wiffing on Antione Winfield (one of my most upsetting Jets moments in recent years with how it all played out), signing Barton, Barret & Reggie Tongue.

Seriously, Barton and Barrett were Bradway's biggest FA signings.

This is a great signing plain and simple.

Doesnt matter if he is the best in the league or if the is just a very good player.

Rex coached the guy for many years, if he wanted him, there is a reason and I am very excited to see that reason in action.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, trolls trying to call this a mistake are embarrassing themselves.

He's not the best LB in the league, he's not even top 5.

But he's very good, he fits our system, and he fills a need.

As to his price tag, the price of doing business in the NFL goes up every year. The contract he signed is not backbreaking, nor would anyone not trying to put down the Jets even blink an eye at it. He got a nice deal for the best linebacker (all things considered) available.

Listen Mr.T all i'm saying is i don't think the price tag fits Bart Scott. Rex wanted his man though

Same was said about your boy Porter when he signed....and he's still mediocre. However I wouldn't expect you too see that though.

Listen Mr.T all i'm saying is i don't think the price tag fits Bart Scott. Rex wanted his man though

What you fail to grasp is that in this FA era of the last 5 years under the newly structured CBA, EVERY top FA is overpaid.

Seriously. Name me a top FA that hit the market and you didn't say, "Wow, that's a lot of money."

Charlie Casserly mentioned this on the radio today when asked by Boomer Eisiesen whether Haynesworth was overpaid. Casserly said, "This is free agency. Everyone gets overpaid."

As to his price tag, the price of doing business in the NFL goes up every year. The contract he signed is not backbreaking, nor would anyone not trying to put down the Jets even blink an eye at it. He got a nice deal for the best linebacker (all things considered) available.

from all accounts he seems to be very versatile. and will probably allow us to morph schemes during a game more seemlessly. he;s suppopsedly goo din coverage...which is something our current lb'ers were exposed at relatively poor at last year.

What you fail to grasp is that in this FA era of the last 5 years under the newly structured CBA, EVERY top FA is overpaid.

Seriously. Name me a top FA that hit the market and you didn't say, "Wow, that's a lot of money."

Charlie Casserly mentioned this on the radio today when asked by Boomer Eisiesen whether Haynesworth was overpaid. Casserly said, "This is free agency. Everyone gets overpaid."

Chad Pennington.

Yep. And you really cant equate the value of a coach on the field. He is going to be the guy explaining the system during practice when our guys are finally just going to get after it instead of being robots.

from all accounts he seems to be very versatile. and will probably allow us to morph schemes during a game more seemlessly. he;s suppopsedly goo din coverage...which is something our current lb'ers were exposed at relatively poor at last year.

Hopefully with the 'attack defense' we've been promised, we wont have to rely on such coverage quite as much.

Exactly everyone gets overpaid thats why u don't make the big splash. History has told us you usually don't win championships through FA, am i not right? You overpay for players. I prefer to be bargain hunter in FA to fill holes as well as depth and build and get my elite players through the draft.

And he's an upgrade over Barton. Thats all we can ask for as fans.

The good thing about having scott and pace in the same LB group is that they can move around and it gives us more flexibility.

Lovin this move.

Mediocre??? I won't even respond to that. You sir, are a moron.

And a below average first season.

Point is the same thing was said about Porter and then looks like he was a wiff in year one and did well last year. If you want a comparison in what we got is a ILB who averages 65 tackles at the ILB position. Plus he's a guy who knows the system and can help teach it to other LB's.

Mediocre??? I won't even respond to that. You sir, are a moron.

Really? 17.5 sacks and an invitation to the Pro Bowl is mediocre? OK, if you say so :rolleyes:

He had a good first part of the year, but fell off @ the end. Lets not even bring up how he played his first year with you guys. He didn't do **** @ the end of the year, when you guys need him. Especially in your playoff game.....

Especially with major needs at CB, S, G, and QB still looming.

I thought we filled our S need with a Raven?

The Guard need we created for ourselves, nice job.

I believe Lowery is our guy at CB, and I like Poteat, but still, I agree it's a need, whether it's a dime CB or a #2, another quality CB is a need.

QB is our MAJOR NEED.

WR is our 2nd MAJOR NEED. especially now.

OH,Let me whack the ****t out of this horse, the Moore thing was idiotic.

Exactly everyone gets overpaid thats why u don't make the big splash. History has told us you usually don't win championships through FA, am i not right? You overpay for players. I prefer to be bargain hunter in FA to fill holes as well as depth and build and get my elite players through the draft.

There's downsides to each approach because quite frankly you can fall flat on your face on each. As of right now our GM seems to have done a good job of controlling our cap, once it gets out of control that's when it hurts. Step out of the dolphin shoes and think of the signing rationally

Jets get:

A premier ILB. He's not average.

In his prime

Playing in a system he's played his entire career

Playing next to another young talented ILB

We could do worse honestly.

You'll like the signing just fine once you see him play.

Had you seen Bart Scott play, you'd be as geeked up and happy as me right now.

I

I hope you're right, again, though, you were watching him play next to the greatest in the game.

I Do hope you're right!!! Unlike Mangini, Rex has CONSISTENTLY had a dominating defense, so I'll give him the benefit, he knows.

Another positive is that they(scott and leonhard) know his system,they will be player/coaches.

Jets get:

A premier ILB. He's not average.

In his prime

Playing in a system he's played his entire career

Playing next to another young talented ILB

We could do worse honestly.

But he's not "premiere" or he would have been in the pro bowl. He is average in a great system. Ray Lewis is premiere. Ed Reed is premiere. Heynsworth is premiere.Peppers is premiere. Scott is good.

But the next three points are correct.

That's not accurate. FA is an effective tool in winning a championship. The problem is when it's the only tool. The Packers, Niners & Cowboys effectively used FA to aid them in their championship runs. The Patriots have done it as well.

A team that drafts well and signs impact FAs (or trades) win more often than not. And, mind you, re-signing your own impact FAs is part of the equation.

Archived