Melky vs. Brett (CF competition)

Morrissey

Gardner looked very good today. I heard Melky is out of options and wonder how much that will play into things. I don't foresee either player as a bench player due to them being better off getting steady AB's in the minors.

If the Yankees DFA Melky... I really don't see anyone picking him up.

But if someone does... I don't think it's a huge loss.

If Gardner out plays Melky, which he currently is, than Gardner should win the job, you shouldn't worry about the secondary stuff.

I was impressed with Gardner today. He looked good at the plate. Whether he can carry that over to the regular season is another question.

But I just dont see the Yankees going with him to start the season. If he has options and Melky doesnt, Gardner is going down and if Melky continues to struggle in April/May they can cut him then with no second guessing on their part.

I was impressed with Gardner today. He looked good at the plate. Whether he can carry that over to the regular season is another question.

But I just dont see the Yankees going with him to start the season. If he has options and Melky doesnt, Gardner is going down and if Melky continues to struggle in April/May they can cut him then with no second guessing on their part.

That would piss me off, but I think Girardi really likes Gardner, so if he earns the spot, I think he'll give him it.

That would piss me off, but I think Girardi really likes Gardner, so if he earns the spot, I think he'll give him it.

I would hope so. If someone earns it, they deserve the spot. I just cant see the Yanks brass giving up on a 24 yr old.. although his 3 years in the majors are far from impressive or good enough to earn the spot.

If they are close in talent and performance this spring, the spot will go to the Melk man.

I think Girardi more then anything wants to add a dynamic to this team that they have not had in a long time. A pesky, speedy terror. Our offense doesn't "need" that but it adds a facet to the game that we haven't had in I dunno, ever. If our bats are feeling hot Gardner is the type of guy who can produce runs just by getting on base, stealing a base, and be able to tag up and score on a shallow ball or something. We've been built on power for so long that I can see Girardi wanting to have Gardner win.

I think Girardi more then anything wants to add a dynamic to this team that they have not had in a long time. A pesky, speedy terror. Our offense doesn't "need" that but it adds a facet to the game that we haven't had in I dunno, ever. If our bats are feeling hot Gardner is the type of guy who can produce runs just by getting on base, stealing a base, and be able to tag up and score on a shallow ball or something. We've been built on power for so long that I can see Girardi wanting to have Gardner win.

I can see Girardi starting Melky over him just bc gardner can contribute kinda like homer bush were melky would just be an avg bench player.

I hope that is Girardi's intention. We need some speed. We need to be able to manufacture runs, we haven't played that type of game in years, and we haven't won it all in around the same amount of time.

I can see Girardi starting Melky over him just bc gardner can contribute kinda like homer bush were melky would just be an avg bench player.

That doesn't make any sense. You always want your best players to be on the field and in the batters box.

I hope that is Girardi's intention. We need some speed. We need to be able to manufacture runs, we haven't played that type of game in years, and we haven't won it all in around the same amount of time.

I just think it adds a facet to the game when our bats go silent. It just seems we ALWAYS need big hits, doubles, HR's in order to score. We can't manufacture runs which can help out in cases like that. Hell, even things as simple as starting a speedy guy to stay out of a DP can be big. I'll keep my fingers crossed for this guy.

I just think it adds a facet to the game when our bats go silent. It just seems we ALWAYS need big hits, doubles, HR's in order to score. We can't manufacture runs which can help out in cases like that. Hell, even things as simple as starting a speedy guy to stay out of a DP can be big. I'll keep my fingers crossed for this guy.

I think the problem we've had for a while is twofold 1) The pitching had consistently deteriorated since our dynasty run in both the rotation and the bullpen. We tried to slug our way through it and we couldn't do it. The pitchers we brought in were often at the end of their ropes. 2) We slugged through the regular season, but in the playoffs we struggled manufacturing runs. Really, each run is so valuable, and I couldn't agree more about us waiting on the bomb to win it.

Archived