***Official JN Jay Cutler Talk - All Jay, All Day*** [Merged 49X]

Aten

Do you want Cutler?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Cutler?

• Yes
    • No

I'm thinking that is a lot of stake to put into a couple of guys that arent sure fire cant miss players.

They both have their issues and in the long run, you would trading for a sup .500 Qb and a WR who has had only 1 year worth of good work to speak of.

Even if they're not 'surefire cant miss players', how many drafts to you come out of with the level of talent that you'd be getting in Cutler and Edwards?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but the potential of drafting that 10 year probowl/all pro player is out there.

Honestly, have you ever seen a team have any success making moves of that nature. The great teams do it through the draft.

IDK, maybe because I am big draft fan that I put a lot of stock into picks, but I just dont know if the return would be worth the price.

Leaving Edwards out of this...

nobody makes moves of this nature because there is never a 25 year old pro bowl QB available...

At this point the JETS will be either trading for Cutler, a stop gap, or drafting a QB high in the near future...

Cutler is a Pro-Bowl QB with all the tools to get it done... and 25...

A stop gap is a bad idea...

Drafting QB's high is a risky thing... and the extra picks for cutler would be like paying for insurance...

1st round QB's in the recent History...

Bold became good starters..

Bold/green became all stars &/or probowlers

italic/red flopped...

I left out some recent QBs who are still of unknown quality...

58% became busts

27% became all stars

15% became good starters

That is about a 1 in 4 chance of drafting a stud QB in the 1st round... so it makes giving up only 2 1st round picks make a whole lot more sense...

Vince Young

Matt Lienart

Jay Cutler

Alex Smith

Aaron Rodgers

Jason Campbell

Eli Manning

Phillip Rivers

Big Ben

JP Losman

Carson Palmer

Byron Leftwich

Kyle Boller

Rex Grossman

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Patrick Ramsey

Mike Vick

Chad Pennington

Tim Couch

Donovan Mcnabb

Akili Smith

Daunte Culpepper

Cade McNown

Peyton Manning

Ryan Leaf

And for those who keep bringing it up, Revis won't be part of any deal for Cutler. We just gave him a $6M roster bonus a few weeks ago.

I'd be amazed if we let Revis go to another team with that money (which now hits our 2009 cap whether we keep or trade him) and trade another #1 for Cutler (who will also get a new mega-contract). It's not just a matter of one player for another.

I'd give up two #1's before I gave up Revis and a #1. Odds are pretty low we'd get another player that good - let alone that good right away - with a #1 draft pick we don't send away.

It is rare that a corner develops into a Darelle Revis, and rarer still that it happens as quickly as it has with him. You can only select from the CB's who come out in that year you're drafting for one AND that player has to be available when we pick.

He's locked up for the 3 upcoming at very manageable money (for a player at his level and anticipated level throughout those years). After that we can pay through the nose for a 6th year if we can't reach a long-term deal with him and haven't drafted or acquired a replacement who won't be a devastating liability on that side of the ball. If Tannenbaum has seen anything in his FA shopping, he's seen what a top-flight player costs when you don't draft him yourself.

Agree 100%.

Darrelle Revis is about as untouchable as a player can be in the NFL. No way he would be a part of any trade, especially with Ryan as HC.

Fair enough.

But still, how often do these types of trades pan out the way you expected?

Depends on how you look at it. I don't think you see trades like THIS happen very often. A known commodity, young, extremely talented QB out on the trade market? Mostly in today's NFL you see teams reach for over-the-hill talent at QB (us last year) and that rarely pans out. Also the NFL market is different every year as the "ranking of talent" is different in the trade market then it is in the over all game. I love us signing Bart Scott, LOVE IT, but he's not the best LB in the league, but he's getting paid that way. Why? Cause he was the best LB in the market.

Anyways, that's why I agree with RJF's sentiment on Tanny, the aggressiveness to pursue this shows to me he's willing to go after something valuable like this. Plus I trust our FO to do a continued good job on drafting talent. I just love the idea of Cutler's talent in NY but I'll be the first to say I'm terrified of his attitude.

Depends on how you look at it. I don't think you see trades like THIS happen very often. A known commodity, young, extremely talented QB out on the trade market? Mostly in today's NFL you see teams reach for over-the-hill talent at QB (us last year) and that rarely pans out. Also the NFL market is different every year as the "ranking of talent" is different in the trade market then it is in the over all game. I love us signing Bart Scott, LOVE IT, but he's not the best LB in the league, but he's getting paid that way. Why? Cause he was the best LB in the market.

Anyways, that's why I agree with RJF's sentiment on Tanny, the aggressiveness to pursue this shows to me he's willing to go after something valuable like this. Plus I trust our FO to do a continued good job on drafting talent. I just love the idea of Cutler's talent in NY but I'll be the first to say I'm terrified of his attitude.

Other than when his new, 12-year-old HC immediately came in and tried to replace him, when has Cutler acted in any way detrimental to his team?

He's been a pretty firey competitor and has a huge ego but how are either of those things bad for an NFL QB?

I would do revis and a late round draft pick straight up for cutler... CB is never worth a franchise qb..not even close

I would rather give up 2 firsts than revis. Reason being it is less than 50-50 that you get another talent at a position like that in a given year. Revis cost us a first, so 2 first rounders is just one extra first, I'll give up the speculation of that second first rounder. You could probably argue 3 first rounders since both revis and cutler are so young. Think about it this way, wuld you rather have revis and cutler or 3 first round picks? Figure one great player (although probably not top 3 in postion like revis), one ok player, and one bust is what you will get from those three. I would take revis and cutler over the three picks. Also, revis has an extra year on his contract which at the time looked stupid with the training camp holdout but now looks like it was a smart move.

You act like they would be trading away sure fire players... when in fact most of the players the JETS draft this year will not be in the NFL in a few years...

yeah, look at the top first round picks for the jets over the last three years. Based on performance to date.

Brick, decent, not great but not bad

Revis, stud, top 3

Gholston, bust

I would say this is an above average performance for a team's draft record. Based on this, if I have the choice of giving up revis and a pick or giving up 3 firsts, I would give up the firsts. Keep in mind the jets in those years also traded up into the late first round to pick up Mangold and Keller who are doing better than the first rounders picked ahead of them in those years.

Now I am not saying give up 3 first round picks for cutler, but I am saying I do that before giving up Revis and a pick.

Other than when his new, 12-year-old HC immediately came in and tried to replace him, when has Cutler acted in any way detrimental to his team?

He's been a pretty firey competitor and has a huge ego but how are either of those things bad for an NFL QB?

He says a lot of dumb things and is overly c0cky. The media in NY would destroy him if he said something dumb. It's well known how much of a schmuck he can be, my hope is if we get him is agent tells him "the NY media will eat you alive and stick sugar in all your food if you make dumb comments."

Yes, but the potential of drafting that 10 year probowl/all pro player is out there.

Honestly, have you ever seen a team have any success making moves of that nature. The great teams do it through the draft.

IDK, maybe because I am big draft fan that I put a lot of stock into picks, but I just dont know if the return would be worth the price.

THe great teams do do it through the draft, but how many times does a 25 year old qb like cutler with no injuries and no reason to be traded other than a stupid coach come up? This is just a completely different situation than the normal build through free agency move. In this case, Denver went and took the risk of drafting him in the first and testing him to see if he is good enough. I think it is pretty safe to say he is good enough to be a franchise qb in the nfl. Franchise qbs just DO NOT become available in their rookie contract year like this.

Fair enough.

But still, how often do these types of trades pan out the way you expected?

Tell me how many times a qb of cutler's talent and age has become available as a trade and then I will tell you how many times THIS type of trade has panned out.

He says a lot of dumb things and is overly c0cky. The media in NY would destroy him if he said something dumb. It's well known how much of a schmuck he can be, my hope is if we get him is agent tells him "the NY media will eat you alive and stick sugar in all your food if you make dumb comments."

To be fair, he's really only said 2 or 3 dumb things, none of which were all that bad.

I think the NY media would love this guy if he came here and consistently put up numbers like he did last year and made bat**** crazy comments now and again.

To be fair, he's really only said 2 or 3 dumb things, none of which were all that bad.

I think the NY media would love this guy if he came here and consistently put up numbers like he did last year and made bat**** crazy comments now and again.

If the President can make fun of retards on Leno, then Cutler can get away with whatever he wants as long as he's throwing TDs.

Then again... let's not forget that Cutlers decision making is eerily reminiscent of a QB we had just last year.

At this point I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll drop it as quite honestly I'd love to see the kid in green, warts and all.

Think about it. When was the last time New York had an outspoken gunslinger QB who could back up his BS on the field?

If memory serves he wore number twelve in green and white and the press absolutely adored him.

BRadway yes, except he'd give up 2x what he needed too..

I read Edwards is out there for a 2, 5 and a replacement receiver. Would you take a shot? I would.

Depends who the player is. A 2nd, 5th, and Cotch would be overpaying by a ridiculous margin considering how bad he was last season. I really don't see how Cleveland can ask for a player along with a 2nd and a 5th, those alone should be enough. The Browns don't have much leverage at this point when it comes to him.

some of you all would complain if you won a million $ lottery

if we get cutler for 2 #1 picks and other picks

it will go down as one of the biggest steals in NFL history

When we make it to SB, those that continue to post nonsense..please

refrain from posting during SB week

That is about a 1 in 4 chance of drafting a stud QB in the 1st round... so it makes giving up only 2 1st round picks make a whole lot more sense...

Vince Young

Matt Lienart

Jay Cutler

Alex Smith

Aaron Rodgers

Jason Campbell

Eli Manning

Phillip Rivers

Big Ben

JP Losman

Carson Palmer

Byron Leftwich

Kyle Boller

Rex Grossman

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Patrick Ramsey

Mike Vick

Chad Pennington

Tim Couch

Donovan Mcnabb

Akili Smith

Daunte Culpepper

Cade McNown

Peyton Manning

Ryan Leaf

I agree with you about trading first round picks for Cutler (assuming the FO doesn't plan on drafting a WR in the first round).

I disagree with Vick being on the bust list. Legal issues aside, he wasn't a great passer but won many games by his running ability alone. He added another dimension to the position that opposing defenses had to game plan for. At any rate, Atlanta gave him a huge contract extension at the time. Busts don't get extensions like that.

All very good points, too many to quote you all individually.

There is no doubt that the trade is intriguing...maybe to EY's point...giving up picks take away from the fun of the draft.

I do believe in building through the draft, but you guys are right, how often is their a probowl QB as young as Cutler out ther for grabs.

All very good points, too many to quote you all individually.

There is no doubt that the trade is intriguing...maybe to EY's point...giving up picks take away from the fun of the draft.

I do believe in building through the draft, but you guys are right, how often is their a probowl QB as young as Cutler out ther for grabs.

I don't think ever actually.

Jeff George was traded for a couple of 1's and a 3, but his production was nothing compared to Cutler's at the time and he certainly never made the pro bowl

I agree with you about trading first round picks for Cutler (assuming the FO doesn't plan on drafting a WR in the first round).

I disagree with Vick being on the bust list. Legal issues aside, he wasn't a great passer but won many games by his running ability alone. He added another dimension to the position that opposing defenses had to game plan for. At any rate, Atlanta gave him a huge contract extension at the time. Busts don't get extensions like that.

He is out of the league after 67 starts (about 4 seasons)

Thats a bust my friend...

Busted....he did not lose his job on play

That does nto matter... the point is 1st round QBs are risky...

Ryan Leaf had a ton of talent and couldnt get it done... should we exclude him because he was talented and it just didnt work out?

Michael Vick is a bust... he started 4 seasons worth of games... not what you want from a 1st round QB...

Archived