Do you want Cutler?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Cutler?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cutler is likely going nowhere. But why would McDaniels continue to feed the fire by telling him he could still get traded or cut, like anyone on the team, after the Cassell stuff was over?

As for the # of picks, it is concerning. But not that concerning. He's still young. VERY young. And the team was in must-pass mode an awful lot. I take for granted it's easier to defend the pass when you know it's coming. Which is what happens when the defense is giving up 30+ points 10x in a season.

Also consider the guy threw over 600 passes. So who is more careless with the football:

Ben Roethlisberger:

• 15 picks in 469 attempts
  • 4 full yrs starting experience coming in
  • #1 defense supporting him (13.9ppg)

Jay Cutler:

• 18 picks in 616 attempts
  • 1.3 yrs starting experience coming in
  • #30 defense supporting him (28ppg)

Roethlisberger in year 3: 23 picks in 469 attempts in the one season he didn't have a top-3 defense keeping him out of must-pass situations game after game.

This isn't a knock on Roethlisberger, who I'd love to have as our QB. But people are taking simple shots on Cutler when his situation isn't the same as others they worship. Saying "Marshall & Royal" doesn't tell the whole story. Receivers don't do squat without the QB putting it where it needs to be. Royal is an outstanding talent, as he showed in '08. But how many people here know how many times rookie Robert Royal (or oatmeal-for-brains Brandon Marshall) ran the wrong way on his route leading to a pick. On 600+ passing plays, I'd wager it happened more than once. Probably more than people realize.

You'd think Marshall & Royal 2008 were one of the greatest WR tandems in NFL history the way people are going on.

The candidates for the starting QB job are Kellen Clemens and Jay Ratliff. If one of them works out half as good as Cutler, then it's sheer, unbridled, dumb luck. If a Jay Cutler (with 2 cheap years left on his rookie contract) is gettable, you get him. 2011 is a pricey year for him, but no one would let a then-28 year-old franchise QB play out the last year of his rookie deal without giving him a new contract anyway.

I don't think the year is lost without him, but I can't believe anyone could actually say, "Nah, I don't want Jay Cutler heading into his 4th NFL season. We have Clemens and Ratliff and a possible chance at the great Mark Sanchez."

IMO - If for some weird reason (which I believe he won't go anywhere) the Broncos and Cutler can't work this out the Jets MUST do their part and make a move here. Cutler with that defense and the offensive weapons in place already can mean not just win now, but can be dynasty potential status period.

Just needed to get that off my chest...I feel better.

Thomas Jones has 2 solid years left. and they MAY be average like most of his others. He WAS our MVP last year, no question, but hardly gearing up for a "dynasty". Leon and Keller, different story.Cotchery,yes. Young line,check. I just don't see "all the offensive weapons in place to make a dynasty run"

We're a few recievers and a young RB short.(a big bruiser, Leon's great, but not alone.)

Jay Cutler would be great, though.

Thomas Jones has 2 solid years left. and they MAY be average like most of his others. He WAS our MVP last year, no question, but hardly gearing up for a "dynasty". Leon and Keller, different story.Cotchery,yes. Young line,check. I just don't see "all the offensive weapons in place to make a dynasty run"

We're a few recievers and a young RB short.(a big bruiser, Leon's great, but not alone.)

Jay Cutler would be great, though.

He may have 2 solid years left, but not with the Jets under his current contract. No way the Jets enter the 2010 season with a 32 year-old Thomas Jones eating up $7.4M in cap space when he can be cut for a $5.9M savings.

Want to see the draft room light up like a nuclear bomb?

Sanchez is still on the board when Goodall says "The 17th pick of the 2009 draft has been traded to the Denver Broncos..."

Just close your eyes and imagine the chaos...

are there actually Jets fans who wouldn't give up a kings ransom for cutler..

We haven't had a young QB with the potential to be a franchise type of guy in like 40 years. If there's a 1% chance that he's available then Tanny should be on the horn with Denver every day..

Sanchez is still on the board when Goodall says "The 17th pick of the 2009 draft has been traded to the Denver Broncos..."

That would be interesting.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

:shock: Weirder things have happened on draft day but that, I would think, would make the top 10.

We haven't had a young QB with the potential to be a franchise type of guy in like 40 years. If there's a 1% chance that he's available then Tanny should be on the horn with Denver every day..

He's available. To paraphrase the old joke, we've already established that McDaniels is an idiot, we're just haggling over how big an idiot. The bidding war is already going on. We just don't hear about it because the Broncos don't need to drive the market and the teams who will end up losing out don't want to have been seen pursuing him for the price he will end up costing, which will of course be spectacular.

He's available. To paraphrase the old joke, we've already established that McDaniels is an idiot, we're just haggling over how big an idiot. The bidding war is already going on. We just don't hear about it because the Broncos don't need to drive the market and the teams who will end up losing out don't want to have been seen pursuing him for the price he will end up costing, which will of course be spectacular.

you think we are a player?

You think we need a quarterback?

Yes. But they don't seem interested in Garcia or Leftwich, so who knows what they are thinking..

I do remember at the time that the rumors were that Bradway was high on Cutler and probably would've drafted him had he not lost his job..

Yes. But they don't seem interested in Garcia or Leftwich, so who knows what they are thinking..

One has nothing to do with the other and you know that so I don't really see what you're doing here.

I think its nuts to even say "giving up too much" for a guy like this. If someone said to you give up Vernon Gholston and next years number 1 for Jay Cutler you would do it in a heartbeat. And the draft is such a crapshoot that odds are you are giving up 2 VG types for a guy whose numbers are in a hall of famers class for someone so young. I would have given up any comobination of our number 1 picks these last 3 years for Jay Cutler, even the best possible combination which is Mangold and Revis.

Its so rare that teams win in the NFL chasing a QB every year. Weve been chasing since at least Chad got hurt in 2004 and maybe since Vinny got hurt in 1999. Weve had Chad, Fiedler, Bollinger, Vinny, Carter, Ramsey, Clemens, and Favre all supposedly bying for something in that time. How anyone can look at that list and say giving away more than 1 draft choice for Jay Cutler is something I dont understand. Put the talent of Jay Cutler on a few of our teams these last 7 or 8 years and the Jets may have gotten somewhere besides wildcard weekend.

IDK, he definitely **** the bed during the last 3 games of the year.

Obviously the fact that his D is absolutely terrible doesnt help the guy, but its like we always say, you judge a QB based of W's or L's.

No, you don't.

That same line of thinking is what led people to believe that Vince Young was a star QB.

One has nothing to do with the other and you know that so I don't really see what you're doing here.

I think its that once our front office seems to have an idea in their head they rarely stray from that idea. Favre was out of their usual line of thinking, but that was a Woody move not a team front office move. You look at the history. They move Kendall and they say they are happy with what they have and do nothing to fix it. They move Coles say they are perfectly happy with the WR position and they have not looked into anyway to upgrade it via trade or free agency. Even carrying Ben Graham as long as they did was simply being stubborn. If the Jets say they are completely happy with their QB situation I think most people take them at face value. That doesnt mean they wont draft another QB, but with week 1 of free agency gone I think it means the Jets dont value any free agent or anyone available via trade...unless Woddy speaks up again.

Granted. But what I'm saying is that I don't think they believe our QB situation is in as dire straights as we believe it to be...

No, you don't.

That same line of thinking is what led people to believe that Vince Young was a star QB.

Yes you do.

I dont care how good you are if you are a loser you are a loser and right now in Jay Cutler's career, he is a loser.

Yeah, negotiations are going on....

Mike Tannenbaum: Hey, what would it take to get Jay Cutler?

Broncos GM: *click*

Mike Tannenbaum: Hello? You there? Must have gotten disconnected.

King's ransom? No, but I don't think Cutler would cost a king's ransom.

I just question the notion that 2 1st rounders would be the norm, when such a draft pick package for a veteran hasn't happened in years.

You must have been a big Chad fan during the regular seasons of even numbered years.

Ha!

As much as I hate Chad Pennington, I guarantee you if he was on the Broncos last year, he would have won the AFCW. With similar results in the playoffs.

Then Vince Young, Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Trent Dilfer, and Tavaris Jackson are winners.

2 of those players have been to Super Bowls and one has a ring.

Just sayin.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but IMO its all about W's and L's.

2 of those players have been to Super Bowls and one has a ring.

Just sayin.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but IMO its all about W's and L's.

Then **** it, let's get sexy Rexy. Rexmania will be unleashed in New York. The NFL will never see it coming.

Rex bringing the house on defense and Rex saying "**** conservative, I'm going deep!" on offense.

That do would be unstoppable.

Then **** it, let's get sexy Rexy. Rexmania will be unleashed in New York. The NFL will never see it coming.

Rex bringing the house on defense and Rex saying "**** conservative, I'm going deep!" on offense.

That do would be unstoppable.

Isn't Ratliff expected to do that? :P

Archived