***Official JN Jay Cutler Talk - All Jay, All Day*** [Merged 49X]

Aten

Do you want Cutler?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Cutler?

• Yes
    • No

I would lean toward making that trade as well.

The only problem is that Leon is by far the most talented offensive player on our team. RB's can easily be replaced, but he is a special talent with a bright future.

I would rather give up additional draft picks, but if it comes down to it, I would pull the trigger.

I still don't buy the trade though. The Cards are getting way too much compensation for their backup QB.

i think the 2nd rd pick would go to denver not az

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well heres the thing... Leinert is still young and maybe josh thinks he can make a player out of him... leon washington will never be an every down back or even a great rusher in the nfl splitting time...

Hes good on special teams...but hes not a great rb... so for cutler who is a very good qb and is young and still has so much future ahead of him...we could finally say after years and years and year that we have a young franchise qb...

F*** all these rumors and whatnot. I want Cutler now, I mean right tihs minute.

Give up a 1st and next years 2nd and 3rd and we got a F'ing deal. Do it now, this guy is ONLY going to get better and he's only 25 years old. Come on fellas.

they were talking about it last night on (Fins radio station) "The Ticket"

Happy St Pattys day Mick

Cheers and same to yourself.

The Jets really should be prepared to give up a lot for Cutler and if I were Cutler I would actually want to come here, especially with the defense that's being built under Ryan.

Cheers and same to yourself.

The Jets really should be prepared to give up a lot for Cutler and if I were Cutler I would actually want to come here, especially with the defense that's being built under Ryan.

On a side note... what does Cutler do to the Cap???

Jets don't need this head case

March 17, 2009

Conventional wisdom suggests the Jets are a quarterback away from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender. And now that the Broncos' Jay Cutler is kicking and screaming and trying to force his way out of Denver, there's the solution: Give up a first-round pick for a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback and - poof! - the Jets are in the mix for Super Bowl XLIII.

Not so fast.

Sure, it's an intriguing proposition, and the Jets certainly will do their due diligence on Cutler, as they would with any other player potentially available in a trade. But keep in mind that Cutler has thrown up the biggest red flag in this whole thing. So the Jets must factor in his behavior regarding his set-to with Josh McDaniels over the new coach's admission that he considered - considered - trading for Matt Cassel, his former quarterback in New England.

Although there is fault to be found on both sides, Cutler's reaction to McDaniels' idea is a bit extreme. His demand to be traded because of it leads me to wonder whether he might react similarly if faced with other difficult circumstances with a new team and a new coach.

What if he took exception to the no-nonsense Rex Ryan, who wants to win by playing defense and running the ball? It worked this past season when the Ravens went to the AFC Championship Game with Ryan's defense and rookie quarterback Joe Flacco.

McDaniels still hopes to rectify the situation and keep his quarterback, but there's a chance that Cutler will continue to want out. If that's the case, the Jets surely will be among the teams to investigate.

That's what teams do. They check out their options. They listen to offers. That's what the Broncos were doing last month when the Cassel option surfaced. It happens all the time.

But Cutler chose to freak out that the Broncos would even ponder the idea that someone else might be worthy of consideration as their long-term quarterback. And now he wants to exit.

Let me ask you something: Is that how you want your quarterback to react?

Or do you want him to react by saying, be it publicly or to himself: So, Coach, you think someone else can do this job better than me? Fine. I'll prove you wrong, you son of a gun. Let's get to work.

Give me the latter, please.

Cutler would rather get the heck out of town than prove himself to his new coach. He's pouting because McDaniels didn't dismiss the idea of a trade involving a player he'd tutored with the Patriots the last several years. A player who never started a single game in college and who never pouted about being a backup to one of the greatest quarterbacks ever in Tom Brady. A player who took advantage of his first opportunity last year and went 11-4 in his first 15 starts since high school.

Cutler? He has publicly bashed AFC West rival Philip Rivers, once proclaimed that he has a better arm than John Elway (what?!) and produced a 17-20 record. And he has appeared in zero playoff games.

No, you cannot pin the losing record entirely on Cutler, because there are far too many extenuating circumstances that go into a football team's success. But you can't pronounce Cutler an elite quarterback either, not after only three seasons and an 87.1 career rating.

Besides, the way you judge a quarterback isn't simply by the way he plays; it's by the way he carries himself in front of his coaches and teammates. And the way he reacts in a crisis.

There's an "it" factor that goes beyond the touchdowns and the yards. And I just don't think Cutler has that "it" factor you need to win a championship.

Not in this town, anyway.

I had a dream last night that the Dolphins traded Henne, Pennington and a 1st rounder for Cutler.

That dream sucked.

pretty funny, I read the same thing in the Ft Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel this morning...

read my post on previous page....nice try Kreskin

Now the Dolphins have to answer this right: How much do we trust Chad Henne? And: Would a package of our quarterback of today ( Chad Pennington), tomorrow (Henne) and the 25th pick overall be worth landing Denver's arm of today and tomorrow?

Oh man!

People thought it would've been cute if we managed to get Cutler by including Brett Favre's rights in the deal? Imagine if he lands in the division after being traded for Chad Pennington? :fan:

Yeah, it's so easy to do that. So easy that, out of all the QB's in NFL history drafted & all the QB's in NFL history who made a team undrafted, only 12 had done it heading into the 2008 season. But he's average at best, lol. No comments as to Denver's crappy defense (28 ppg last year) putting their offense into must-pass situations all the time is so hard for opposing DC's to defend? The team was 2nd in pass attempts and 28th in rush attempts out of necessity.

Frankly, I'm amazed he didn't throw 5-10 more picks than he did. With that many pass attempts, two-time SB champ Roethlisberger would have thrown 22 picks...that's IF he had a top-3 defense. With Denver's defense? Think of a number approaching 30 interceptions. How many interceptions would Clemens or Ratliff throw in >600 attempts with a defense that gives up 4 TD's per game? It's a testament to Cutler that he only threw 1.1 picks per game.

At age 25, after 2.3 NFL seasons of experience with an awful defense failing to give the offense the luxury of mixing up plays more, are people really pointing to a TD:INT ratio 54:37 and drawing the conclusion that this is the best a player will ever get for the rest of his career? QB's reach their ceiling at age 25 now?

What is amazing is this: many people are looking at his career up to age 25 and stating based on that he will continue to do the same or worse. BUT the accomplished-nothing QB's we have or could draft are surely indicative of a likelihood of future success at the NFL's most important position, and is the shrewd move.

Jets might want unhappy Broncos QB Cutler

erik.boland@newsday.com

March 17, 2009

If Jay Cutler successfully cries his way out of Denver, the Jets can't be ruled out as a potential landing spot. A source said yesterday that the Jets are "paying attention" to the situation involving the Broncos quarterback, who wants to be traded.

Cutler made the request Sunday night through his agent, Bus Cook, several outlets reported. Cook also represents the retired Brett Favre, but a deal for this Cook client is a long way from happening, and just how interested the Jets are is not clear. It would seem to be a long shot, but general manager Mike Tannenbaum pulled off a stunner last summer by trading for Favre.

The Jets have not commented on Cutler and will not because league rules prohibit discussing another team's player who is under contract. Cutler has three years left on the six-year deal he signed after the Broncos drafted him out of Vanderbilt as the 11th overall pick in 2006. The Jets looked hard at Cutler before taking tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the fourth overall pick.

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels angered Cutler when word got out that McDaniels, formerly the Patriots' offensive coordinator, was interested in trading for Matt Cassel. Cassel, under McDaniels' tutelage, shined last season after Tom Brady went down in Week 1 against the Chiefs, who recently traded for Cassel.

Cutler put off meeting with McDaniels for two weeks before getting together Saturday. McDaniels, according to various reports, thought things went well. Cutler? Not so much.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite," Cutler told ESPN. "I thought he was antagonizing me, and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco."

The Denver Post and Sports Illustrated reported that McDaniels wants to meet again with Cutler - who skipped the team's first day of voluntary conditioning sessions yesterday - to see if they can smooth things over.

McDaniels briefly addressed the situation with the team yesterday. "He said, 'I'll take care of it,' and that's pretty much it," Broncos defensive lineman Kenny Peterson said, according to the Denver Post.

The Broncos have no quality in-house replacement, which makes trading Cutler because he's unhappy impractical, though not impossible.

Coincidentally, several members of the Jets are in the Midwest looking at another quarterback. Brian Schottenheimer met with Kansas State's Josh Freeman yesterday, according to nfl.com, and the offensive coordinator, along with Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan, have a private workout with Freeman today. The Jets also have scheduled a private workout with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez.

BE careful what you wish for, Jet fans.

The moment news of Bronco quarterback Jay Cutler demanding a trade out of Denver surfaced yesterday, Jet fans everywhere surely began dreaming of a Cutler trade to New York.

Is that a great idea?

Not really - unless the Jets could wrest Cutler from the Broncos for a very reasonable price, because Cutler is hardly a guarantee to bring the Jets to the Super Bowl.

The Jets, who do have serious questions at the quarterback position with three inexperienced and unproven starting candidates in Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge, should not mortgage their future for Cutler.

Granted, Cutler - who's only 25, is entering his fourth season (third as a starter) and has a cannon for an arm - has excellent upside.

But there are warts, too.

Cutler is inconsistent, and he has yet to lead the Broncos to the playoffs in his two full seasons as the starter - Denver went 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 last season.

His mental makeup also has to be questioned after the ridiculous and immature way he handled the current situation in Denver.

When Cutler learned that new Denver head coach Josh McDaniels tried to trade for Matt Cassel, he threw a hissy fit.

Cutler acted with the kind of indignation that a player who's won championships might have acted if he learned he was being disrespected by his team.

What exactly has Cutler won in Denver that should make him so untouchable?

Cutler should get over himself and realize this is the way of the world. Teams are always trying to improve, and few players are untouchable.

McDaniels, first as the Patriot quarterbacks coach and then as offensive coordinator, coached and nurtured Cassel, and the fact he tried to bring him to Denver is too bad for Cutler.

The thin skin Cutler has displayed has to make you wonder how he might handle the pressures of quarterbacking in New York.

Given Cutler's recent childish behavior, how would he react if things don't work out with the Jets? How long might it be before he's trying to whine his way out of his next situation?

On the Jets' side, for all the doubters who don't believe in Clemens, ask yourself this question: Has he really been given a chance?

The answer is a resounding no.

Clemens started eight games in 2007, playing behind a porous offensive line, and he not only struggled but was nearly decapitated a few times.

Consider, too, that Chad Pennington, starting the other eight games that year, had similar struggles and poor numbers.

This is no guarantee Clemens or even Ratliff, on whom the team is said to be high, is the definitive answer for the Jets. But the Jets have to find out about them. And trading multiple high draft picks to get Cutler is a bad idea.

Be careful what you wish for, Jets fans.

The Jets yesterday announced their signing of free-agent DE Marques Douglas, another former Raven who played for Rex Ryan, and unrestricted free agent DT Howard Green. They also re-signed unrestricted free agent DB Ahmad Carroll

The moment news of Bronco quarterback Jay Cutler demanding a trade out of Denver surfaced yesterday, Jet fans everywhere surely began dreaming of a Cutler trade to New York.

Is that a great idea?

Not really - unless the Jets could wrest Cutler from the Broncos for a very reasonable price, because Cutler is hardly a guarantee to bring the Jets to the Super Bowl.

The Jets, who do have serious questions at the quarterback position with three inexperienced and unproven starting candidates in Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge, should not mortgage their future for Cutler.

Granted, Cutler - who's only 25, is entering his fourth season (third as a starter) and has a cannon for an arm - has excellent upside.

Cutler is inconsistent, and he has yet to lead the Broncos to the playoffs in his two full seasons as the starter - Denver went 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 last season.

His mental makeup also has to be questioned after the ridiculous and immature way he handled the current situation in Denver.

When Cutler learned that new Denver head coach Josh McDaniels tried to trade for Matt Cassel, he threw a hissy fit.

Cutler acted with the kind of indignation that a player who's won championships might have acted if he learned he was being disrespected by his team.

Cutler should get over himself and realize this is the way of the world. Teams are always trying to improve, and few players are untouchable.

McDaniels, first as the Patriot quarterbacks coach and then as offensive coordinator, coached and nurtured Cassel, and the fact he tried to bring him to Denver is too bad for Cutler.

The thin skin Cutler has displayed has to make you wonder how he might handle the pressures of quarterbacking in New York.

Given Cutler's recent childish behavior, how would he react if things don't work out with the Jets? How long might it be before he's trying to whine his way out of his next situation?

On the Jets' side, for all the doubters who don't believe in Clemens, ask yourself this question: Has he really been given a chance?

Clemens started eight games in 2007, playing behind a porous offensive line, and he not only struggled but was nearly decapitated a few times.

Consider, too, that Chad Pennington, starting the other eight games that year, had similar struggles and poor numbers.

This is no guarantee Clemens or even Ratliff, on whom the team is said to be high, is the definitive answer for the Jets. But the Jets have to find out about them. And trading multiple high draft picks to get Cutler is a bad idea.

The Jets yesterday announced their signing of free-agent DE Marques Douglas, another former Raven who played for Rex Ryan, and unrestricted free agent DT Howard Green. They also re-signed unrestricted free agent DB Ahmad Carroll

Get out of here..... cutler is an amazing talent and there is no way you can convince or paint this guy any way else.....

Broncos team was terrible.... there D was terrible.... cant even compare...if you can get a young franchise Qb...you go get it...

There have been some extremely talented headcases in pro sports.

I'm not going to let that get in the way.

Sperm is right, he put up good numbers in spite of having to pass a billion times. He's a very good player at the most important position on the field, and our biggest weakness.

Honestly, how many 1st round QBs this decade are currently better than him?

not for 3 picks, for one,sure..2, maybe

The 2008 draft pick value of the rumored offer is a 1st, a 3rd and a 4th (3rd & 4th this year = 2nd & 3rd next year). For a pro bowl franchise QB at age 26 entering his 4th NFL season.

You've got to be kidding me.

So trade down 5 slots in round 2 this year & recoup the 3rd from next year. A 3rd round draft pick (likely to be a low one at that) over a year away shouldn't stand in the way of getting a Jay Cutler in anyone's mind. Particularly when we have what we have now.

Is that a great idea?

I'm sorry, but this is crap.

I still don't see why there is so much outrage over Cutler's reaction. If he views himself as a franchise QB who will spend his career trying to bring a championship to the team that drafted him, then what's so bad about getting offended when the team's loyalty to you is clearly put in doubt?

I would be glad to trade for a franchise QB who is confident in his ability and questions a team that shows no future loyalty to him.

Elway was a "whiner" when he was drafted by the Colts and refused to play for them. He went on to win multiple championships and become an all-time great NFL QB.

Eli Manning was a "whiner" when he was drafted by the Chargers and refused to play for them. A few years later, he brought a championship to NY.

Favre was a "whiner" when he came out of retirement and tried to force his way back into a starting role in GB. It didn't turn out well for us in the end, but I didn't see any outrage when we traded for him after a whole summer of drama.

Trading for Cutler may or may not work out for us, but to whine about his whining is lame. We have no idea what is happening behind the scenes, and there is a definite chance that the Broncos organization is disrespecting him. I'm not going to criticize a guy who is defending himself.

Sperm, sure he could have huge upside but he is also a head case.

At just under 26, he's still a kid. Kids mature. I'm really not too worried about his head.

Plus, I didn't realize what great shape he's in...

jay-cutler3.jpg

Based on an interception percentage around 3%, many would also turn down:

• Carson Palmer: 3.1% of his career passes have been intercepted
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 3.6% (3.7% in '04, 3.4% in '05, 3.2% in '08: 2 SB's and a 15-1 season).
  • Tony Romo: 3.5%
  • Drew Brees: 2.7% (2.9% when NO signed him)
  • Eli Manning: 3.2% (3.8% in 2007; anyone remember how that season ended?)
  • Matt Hasselbeck: 2.8%
  • Peyton Manning: 2.8% (3.5% heading into his 4th season)
  • Kurt Warner: 3.2%

With the obvious omission of Tom Brady, this list eerily looks like a who's who of the best NFL QB's.

So those players should be turned down in favor of:

• Chad Pennington
  • David Garrard
  • Jason Campbell
  • Donovan McNabb the choke-artist whose team wants to replace him
  • Jeff Garcia
  • Byron Leftwich
  • Matt Cassel (if he gets to keep BB and Moss and Welker)

because of they're lower interception rate.

Cutler threw a lot of interceptions because he threw a lot of passes, and was in situations where the opponent knew passes were coming, not because he's wild & out of control. It wasn't "almost the same" as someone like Favre in 2008. It wasn't even close. Favre's pick rate was 4.2% to Cutler's 2.9%, meaning Favre's interception rate was a whopping 45% higher.

If he's gettable, then we have to get him.

your not going to rob the broncos for this guy and there is no need trying too... hes a franchise qb in the beginning of what can be a HOF career.. whatever it takes will be worth it..

YES!!! Lets all grab our ankles then and give up multiple #1 draft picks and set the franchise back and not be able to recover for 5-6 years, but hey! We can root for a douchebag complaining there is not enought talent on offense and blaming the losses on everyone else.

OR!!!

We could see how the situation pans out and wait for the situation to devolve so much that we can get a good (not great) player for a realistic price and be the ones in control and in charge. The fact that some fans wanted him out of college does not change the asking price for a malcontent egomaniac who can't manage to operate as a professional with a new coaching staff. But it will be different with us. IT WILL!!! Cause the Jets will actually want him, right. He can be our franchise QB, and we will kiss his ass at every turn to please, please stay with our poor pathetic team and never leave us. If you want to throw the ball every down that's ok too Jay. We'll never trade you, that is until you get fed up here and throw another hissy fit and demand a trade.

As far as him being a franchise QB on route to a HOF career...we have no proof of that. He is off to a decent start with one strong year, but so was Leftwich, Akili, Vick, Bledsoe, Pennington, Culpepper and the list goes on and on. It takes more than just physical tools and stats to be a franchise QB. First you have to win, he hasn't. Second you have to lead and make others better, he hasn't. I won't get into orchestrating a clock killing drive and holding the ball and playing TOP when need be, cause he's not there yet and he's young still. But the turnovers and sling it mentality is not a good thing and he's headed in the wrong direction.

If we can get the kid and hit him on the snout with a rolled up newspaper, and establish it's either Rex's way or else we destroy his career. OK maybe the douche is kept in check enough to play ball. But this whole thing stinks. Franchise QBs DO NOT just become available. And if he was all that you guys want him to be then Bowlen fires McDaniels to placate his HOF bound superstar QB and does whatever it takes to keep him happy. Bowlen also had to sign off on the original trade to begin with. WHY would he do that? And now the fact that McDaniels has a meeting with Culter and challenges him to rise to the occasion instead of ballwashing him 100 times over tells me more about this kid. They are willing to hang him out and let another team deal with his crap. So please oh please let that be us!!! Then our lockerroom will be divided and we will be strapped with a douchebag we paid way too much for and continue to make the bad moves to set ourselves back as a franchsie year in and year out.

we must sign if we can........I don't like him but if they fired my head coach & the new one wanted to trade me for cassell id sure make some noise about it

That wasn't even the line in the sand for Cutler. They met & the new HC clearly had no interest in making the situation better. At no time (from the interviews with all parties) did McDaniel say, "I want you to be the Denver Broncos QB."

But he did tell Cutler - after the Cassel thing fell through - that he could still get moved if McDaniel thought it would make the team better.

Now given THAT was McDaniel's follow-up to unsuccessfully trying to trade him already, AND that McDaniel initially flat-out lied about the failed trade attempt, how would all of Cutler's critics (in this matter) act if they were in that spot?

That wasn't even the line in the sand for Cutler. They met & the new HC clearly had no interest in making the situation better. At no time (from the interviews with all parties) did McDaniel say, "I want you to be the Denver Broncos QB."

But he did tell Cutler - after the Cassel thing fell through - that he could still get moved if McDaniel thought it would make the team better.

Now given THAT was McDaniel's follow-up to unsuccessfully trying to trade him already, AND that McDaniel initially flat-out lied about the failed trade attempt, how would all of Cutler's critics (in this matter) act if they were in that spot?

Joshie will not last longer than 2 years, the fans in Denver are already calling for his head...at some point Bowlen will realize he Effed up...when fans stop

coming to games...C ya Joshie

This is pointless. All of you Cutler superfans have your blinders on because you so badly want a hero at the QB position. Nothing Cutler has done is wrong. Nothing he will do or has done will ever be his fault. So if you can't see the problems with this guy - and they are glaring, how can you be expected to have a legitimate conversation about what his real worth is.

Lets give up our entire draft this year and next year. HE'S A FRANCHISE QB!!! HE'S A FRANCHISE QB!!! HE'S A FRANCHSIE QB!!!! (Only he's not)

Dec 14 @Carolina Lost 10-30

Dec 21 Buffalo Lost 23-30

Dec 28 @San Diego Lost 21-52

Got to love those clutch performances in those last 3 weeks when they were 8 - 5.

Yeah, screw Cutler...

He couldn't score 31, then 31, then 53.

What a bum.

Archived