Do you want Cutler?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Cutler?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold off on the Jay Cutler trade talk -- for now. A source close to one team that has inquired with the Broncos about the unhappy quarterback tells me the Broncos have told them they're hanging on to Cutler and won't entertain discussions for him at this time.

That's a natural thing for the Broncos to say. They can't give Cutler or his agent, Bus Cook, a shred of evidence that they want to move him until coach Josh McDaniels is convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt the relationship with Cutler is not fixable. But it's probably more likely than unlikely the Broncos will find the situation can't be remedied, in my opinion. So I do expect Denver's tune to change sometime between now and the April 25 draft, and I do expect Cutler to be traded.

I expect the usual suspects to line up for Cutler -- Detroit, Cleveland, San Francisco, Tennessee and perhaps Carolina, though the Panthers, without a first-round pick in the 2009 draft, will be at a severe disadvantage. But I don't think he'll end up in one of those spots unless Detroit offers the 20th and 33rd picks of the draft, and a player sweetener, straight up for him.

I expect the most fervent suitors to be Tampa Bay and the New York Jets.

The Broncos pick 12th in the first round, right in the wheelhouse for a draft expected to be full of very good first-round prospects because of the influx of so many good juniors; I'm told that this draft could produce as many as 20 junior-eligible players drafted in the first round. Tampa Bay picks 19th in the first round. The Jets pick 17th.

Those teams know that acquiring Cutler, if he's dealt, will require that first-round pick, plus more. I think both teams would pay more. For the record, Tampa Bay has traded its second-round pick in the deal for Kellen Winslow, and so has only the 19th and 81st overall picks in the first three rounds. The Bucs may well have to involve a high 2010 draft choice to get a deal done. The Jets hold the 17th, 52nd and 76th picks in the first three rounds, much better ammo to get something done.

The Bucs are veterans in the chase for Cutler, having pursued him the day before free-agency began, dangling their first-round pick plus something in a package for Cutler. They also have an offensive scheme under new coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski that resembles the system Mike Shanahan ran in Denver, and a defensive coordinator, Jim Bates, who's the father of Cutler's offensive coordinator last year in Denver, Jeremy Bates. Cutler and Jeremy Bates were close, and those close to Cutler believe the Broncos' decision to not retain Bates is a part of his dissatisfaction.

The Jets proved last year they'll stop at nothing to get what they want. What they wanted last year was Brett Favre, who turned out to be a one-year fix that cost New York its third-round pick in the 2009 draft. What they'll want this year would be, they hope, a 10-year fix, and would cost far, far more. Owner Woody Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum will not be intimidated by the price for Cutler. I think New York, at the end of the day, will be tempted to pay more for Cutler than anyone else.

Would Denver be swayed by a package of first- and second-round picks, plus either of the young New York quarterbacks -- Brett Ratliff or Kellen Clemens? I believe it may come to that.

But first, you can bet McDaniels will do everything in his power to sit down alone with Cutler sometime in the next couple of weeks. If that happens, he might be able to save the relationship. But I don't think so.

The Jay Cutler-to-the-Jets debate continues to rage.

Weighing in yesterday was former Jet quarterback Boomer Esiason, whose opinion was direct and strong: Go get the disgruntled Bronco QB at almost any cost.

"I'm telling you, if I could get this kid, I would go guns a-blazing and try to get him," Esiason said.

"I don't know what it would take, but he's a kid that can play here for the next 10 years. This is not Brett Favre, a one-year Band-Aid. This is a totally different story.

"This is a kid who, if he does get traded - which I think is going to happen - you're getting him . . . smack dab in midst of his prime.

"He's not going to get any better than he will be in the next five or six years."

Esiason, an NFL studio analyst for CBS Sports and a morning host on WFAN, said he's certain the Jets are eyeing Cutler.

"I know [Jet GM] Mike Tannenbaum, by virtue of the fact that he brought Brett Favre here, I guarantee you he is absolutely all over this, 100 percent," Esiason said.

Asked, if he's the GM, what he would give the Broncos in a trade for Cutler, Esiason said, "I don't know what it would take. I'm not giving up two No. 1 draft choices for him. A No. 1 and [CB] Darrelle Revis? That ain't happening, so forget that.

"You have to remember you're also doing Denver a favor because he's a disgruntled player. There's also talk of Buffalo possibly trading Trent Edwards for Cutler. If I'm a Jet fan, I want Jay Cutler. Do I want Kellen Clemens or Jay Cutler? I'll take Jay Cutler over Kellen Clemens, believe me."

The Jets yesterday matched the one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet to backup S Abram Elam, who signed the offer seven days ago with the Browns.

The Jets had signed Elam, a restricted free agent, to a one-year, $1.01 million tender before the Browns extended the offer sheet.

The Jets, who've watched Eric Mangini's Browns sign away four of their free agents in recent weeks - DT C.J. Mosley, CB Hank Poteat and LBs David Bowens and Eric Barton - had until yesterday to match the offer.

Jet RB Thomas Jones appears to be making a statement by skipping the team's voluntary offseason workout program for the second consecutive day. Jones, who won the AFC rushing title last season and went to the Pro Bowl, wants a new contract, according to sources close to him. He has two remaining years on his four-year, $20M pact.

Alright what about this deal. We know that TJ is going to be a prick about things and want a new contract so lets package him and some picks and possible Clemens and I bet that would get the deal done for Cuttler. We might not even have to include a first this year. Because if we lose TJ as much as I love Leon. We would need another rb.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9345936/Cutler%27s-agent-Cooks-up-another-drama

Cutler's agent Cooks up another drama

There are a number of issues to consider in this Jay Cutler "I want to be traded" drama. First, Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels isn't Bill Belichick. He's only 32 and he's new to being the boss. He's also not used to being around a pouty, immature quarterback.

Then, there is Cutler's agent, Bus Cook. Fans became familiar with Cook last summer because he is Brett Favre's agent. And we all know how that once great Favre-Green Bay marriage turned out. It went up in flames and now Favre is retired and looking for TV work.

Cook has forever claimed that he couldn't reason with Favre and protect him from himself. That's why Favre landed with the Jets and not with Jon Gruden and the Bucs. I always thought a wise, old agent like Cook would have pulled those strings a little better than he did.

But give Cook credit. He's been pulling the strings nicely for Cutler. Everyone should know that Cutler has wanted out of Denver ever since Mike Shanahan was fired and quarterback coach Jeremy Bates left for USC shortly afterward.

Before McDaniels and the Broncos pursued a failed trade for Matt Cassel, Cook had already been begging to get his client out. Denver told him no from the beginning. But somehow Cook has been able

Alright what about this deal. We know that TJ is going to be a prick about things and want a new contract so lets package him and some picks and possible Clemens and I bet that would get the deal done for Cuttler. We might not even have to include a first this year. Because if we lose TJ as much as I love Leon. We would need another rb.

Since when do "we know that TJ is going to be a prick about things and want a new contract"? He's skipping a voluntary workout like many people do. No one is concerned about TJ's conditioning.

But based on your trade idea, you believe TJ and Clemens together have the value of a first round pick?

Combined, they maybe - maybe - have the trade value of a 4th round pick. And that's only if there was a team out there that really wanted both of them. A 31 year-old RB who has one year left on his deal (unless you want to pay him $6M in 2010 at age 32), and a QB with hardly any experience, who is a UFA after the season's over. A pair like that has little trade value.

Yes, and I'm sure this is the plan. We can offer them our first, David Cowney, Brad Smith, Erik Ainge, and the rights to Brett Favre. Denver would be nuts to turn down that treasure.

well if you replace Ainge and Smith with two 1st rounders and that sounds right.

Of course it is. We all know Cutler is above reproach. When you hear something negative about Cutler, one of the following is true:

a- It is sour grapes

b- It is a smear campaign

c- It is jealousy

d- the person is a hater

Actually, no.

Cutler is a crybaby whiney bitch.

BUT, it's soooo convenient that such stories are coming out now after the situation has blown up in McMoron's face.

Why didn't this story come out before the failed trade for Cutler & the weekend meeting?

Actually, no.

Cutler is a crybaby whiney bitch.

BUT, it's soooo convenient that such stories are coming out now after the situation has blown up in McMoron's face.

Why didn't this story come out before the failed trade for Cutler & the weekend meeting?

It did. The rumors/news surrounding Cutler asking for a trade prior to the Cassell thing was old. It just wasn't taken seriously by anyone because why the hell would Denver ever entertain that.

Texans | Not interested in Cutler

Wed, 18 Mar 2009 07:37:25 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will not pursue Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler in a trade. The team remains confident in QB Matt Schaub.

Redskins | Interested in Cutler?

Wed, 18 Mar 2009 05:27:38 -0700

John Keim, of The Examiner, reports the Washington Redskins have serious interest in Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler, according to a league source, and have entered talks about a possible three-way deal to acquire him. Two NFL sources confirmed the possibility of a three-way trade, with the Kansas City Chiefs being mentioned by one source as a possibility. "They're trying to do something," one NFL source said of the Redskins. "Whether or not it materializes is another matter, but (Redskins owner Dan Snyder) is on this hard. They don't trust Jason Campbell."

Redskins | Have confidence in Campbell

Wed, 18 Mar 2009 05:48:25 -0700

Updating a previous item, David Elfin, of The Washington Times, reports the Washington Redskins are confident in QB Jason Campbell as their starting quarterback, despite rumors the team is showing interest in Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler. "Jason is our quarterback," said executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato. "We haven't talked to anyone. Jason is going to be our quarterback this season."

TANNY: give this year's and next year's first for cutler and DO IT NOW.

This should be Mr.T`s last test ,LORD knows he has blown a few draft picks ,and there are still a few questions about the avail .coachs this past season that may have got away (all though I am thrilled with REX at this point) but if it turns out we have a shot at a young QB who has thrown over 4000 yrds. & 25 TD`s in a season and Mr.T. let`s him get away ,it is finally proof we need a seperate Football guy & Cap. guy instead of Mr. T. trying to do both.

Archived