***Official JN Jay Cutler Talk - All Jay, All Day*** [Merged 49X]

Aten

Do you want Cutler?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Cutler?

• Yes
    • No

Cut us in on any Jay Cutler deal, Jets tell Broncos

DANA POINT, Calif. - Jay Cutler wants out of Denver and the Jets have told the Broncos they want him if they decide to trade him.

Multiple sources told the Daily News Sunday at the opening of the NFL meetings that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum contacted the Broncos to let them know the Jets are very interested in trading for Cutler. But the Jets have yet to make a trade offer, and the Broncos have not said what they want, because Denver has not determined the Cutler situation is beyond repair.

But this much is clear: The Jets are definitely in the Cutler Derby. They will closely monitor the situation and are prepared to put together a package when the Broncos tell them the time has arrived. "Of course the Jets want Cutler," one source said. "Why wouldn't they?"

The Broncos want to meet one more time with Cutler to see if they can end his feud with rookie coach Josh McDaniels before they start soliciting offers.

Cutler is upset that McDaniels tried to deal him to Tampa Bay in a three-way deal that would have brought Matt Cassel from New England to Denver. He was further incensed when McDaniels didn't appease him in a face-to-face meeting after Cassel wound up being traded to Kansas City. The Jets will face strong competition from the Bucs and Bears if Cutler is available. Last summer, the Jets outbid the Bucs for Brett Favre.

Where does this leave the Jets' quarterback situation?

Tannenbaum, coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer were in Manhattan, Kan., last week to work out Kansas State QB Josh Freeman, who may be working his way into the top half of the first round. The Jets are picking 17th on April 25. Ryan said Sunday he liked what he saw of Freeman. Ryan also said the Jets will work out Southern Cal QB Matt Sanchez this week while he and Tannenbaum are on the West Coast for the league meetings. Sanchez has been training in Southern California. They are not spending much time on Georgia's Matt Stafford, expected to go No. 1 to the Lions.

If nothing changes, Ryan said Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff will go into training camp as "1 and 1-A. Clemens may get the first snap, but then 1-A is Ratliff. This is clearly an open competition. Erik Ainge, if he comes around and lights it up, he will be in there."

Ryan told the Daily News Sunday that the first conversation he had with Favre as the Jets' head coach came when Favre contacted the team in February to let them know he was retiring. Ryan said he wanted Favre to play for him this season, but didn't feel it would be appropriate for him to call Favre to recruit him.

"I never wanted to push him one way or the other. He played the game long enough that he knows what is best for him and his family," Ryan said.

He said he didn't believe he could have talked Favre into playing another year. "We don't have that kind of relationship," he said. "I've never met Brett."

Great news, we'll get Cutler if he goes, but why the he!! aren't we working out WR's???

Screw Sanchez and screw Freeman. work out Bey,Harvin, and Maclin.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great news, we'll get Cutler if he goes, but why the he!! aren't we working out WR's???

if we get cutler, those 2 guys will not be avail

should work out britt nicks and tate and other 2nd rd prospects

Because you're the only person on the planet who thinks we can get Cutler without using our 1st round pick.

It's really tough to say, Cutler has the goods and we know that for sure. I mean the NFL draft and the scouting is such an inexact science. How good has Leinart, Young, Smith and other QB's drafted in the first round done lately? Then you got guys like Ryan and Flacco who were great right off the bat. I dunno if Quinn will be any good. It's all a matter of how you look at it. I agree with you on the fact that draft is so important for many OTHER positions. It's a crap shoot with QB IMO.

Flacco & Ryan were not great. They were great for rookies starting their whole rookie season. If they were veterans, their 2008 seasons would have been seen as merely good or very good.

Even still, the odds of getting someone to perform at that level or greater in years 1 or 2 of their careers is low. A QB touches the ball too much to pass up on a sure thing IMO.

That doesn't mean Cutler is or will be better than every rookie who comes out this year. It's a matter of acceptable risk. We could go into the season with Clemens or Ratliff or a rookie or all 3 of them and they could all be terrible this year. If that happens, all of the off-season moves & maneuvers the Jets did this year (plus the ones made for last year) will have been for nothing other than "seeing what we've got at QB" and we'll be back re-evaluating the "what we've got at QB" again 11-12 months from now.

Why are so many of you eager to trade Revis in this scenario? You should avoid trading away your best players! One things for sure - Rex is all about Defense, so there's no way he is going to sign off on trading the best defensive player on the team.

Well that maybe true...but a cb?? thats not even close... a franchise qb...the most important position on the field for a cb? i dont care how great he is... truth is..its not even close..

Didn't the Broncos say they didn't want to trade Jay for picks?

Any player on the Jets for Jay Cutler is a good deal. Revis included.

as for picks, broncos might not have any choice.

I'd trade 3 1st rd picks for Cutler w/o blinking an eye. And I'd rather do that than trade Revis straight up for Cutler. But I'd do that if it was absolutely necessary.....

Well that maybe true...but a cb?? thats not even close... a franchise qb...the most important position on the field for a cb? i dont care how great he is... truth is..its not even close..

You don't trade a proven player like Revis. That would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Lets think about this for as minute... for the most unlucky football franchise..I consider us to be.... always losing out on things.. browning nagle over favre (which wasnty our fault but still) ken obrien over marino blair thomas over emitt.. toon over jerry rice... I love toon hence the name but my name could have been rice and beans today if the draft went our way... you get my point

we see elways was unhappy went to the brocos and is a hof qb.... favre was traded from the falcons and look what happen there...

So why cant we be on the other end of one of those... broncos trade cutler in the beginning of a bright career and we get him and he becomes our franchise qb? possible hof? who knows... Tanny got the right idea... if hes going to be traded then he will do everything in his power to get him here..

problem is we been losing for so many years...and had out hearts stomped on over and over again so we excpect to come out losers... but that mentality has to stop...

If jay is there...we need to get him...period! revis or leon washington.... or whatever it takes....

One guy on here said..."whoah!! i didnt know leon washington was part of that trade"

Are u fcking serious? a third down back and special teamer for a franchise qb? its not even close..

Because you're the only person on the planet who thinks we can get Cutler without using our 1st round pick.

They are working out first round QB's, might as well be WR's, we may be able to get him with a 2 and 3 this year,and a 2 next year......actually there a a million ways it could get done.

We should be working out WR's not QB's what ever round.Whether we get Cutler or NOT. No QB's in first round if we don't get Cutler, no QB's anywhere if we do. No working out QB's this week.period.

You pick the numbers you want to use. OK?

They are working out first round QB's, might as well be WR's, we may be able to get him with a 2 and 3 this year,and a 2 next year......actually there a a million ways it could get done.

We should be working out WR's not QB's what ever round.Whether we get Cutler or NOT. No QB's in first round if we don't get Cutler, no QB's anywhere if we do. No working out QB's this week.period.

No qbs? maybe thats because u think we have great ones already on the roster?? there is more likely hood that u get a steal at wr later in the draft then Qb.. talent drop off is huge at the qb position

What!!!! and cutler is not proven?!? hes playing at the most important position on the field.. acb is not worth even close to as much

And you have a defensive minded coach who helped win a SB with Trent freakin Dilfer at QB.

What is more valuable to Rex Ryan? A shutdown corner or a QB?

You don't trade a player. You trade picks. You don't weaken one area to strengthen another. That defeats the purpose of making the trade.

If jay is there...we need to get him...period! revis or leon washington.... or whatever it takes....

One guy on here said..."whoah!! i didnt know leon washington was part of that trade"

Are u fcking serious? a third down back and special teamer for a franchise qb? its not even close..

You're right, but those guys don't need to be mentioned. PICKS,man, these fools love PICKS,Picks and Clemens, done.Absolutely no need to throw Leon in there or Revis. Picks are more important to these guys. They want to "build their team" I'd give 5 picks for Cutler, but no # 1's. Then you throw in Clemens and you're down to 4. Grab Bey,Maclin, or whoever a RB and a blocking TE, call it a day.

Do you think Denver would take our 2,3,5.6 and Clemens, I say hellll yes!

We leave draft day with Cutler, a #17 WR, Our magic 4 at RB, and a 7 round blocking TE. Plus we still lurk around for UFA's and guy's getting cut.

BOOM< worst to First, just like that.

Leaving Edwards out of this...

nobody makes moves of this nature because there is never a 25 year old pro bowl QB available...

At this point the JETS will be either trading for Cutler, a stop gap, or drafting a QB high in the near future...

Cutler is a Pro-Bowl QB with all the tools to get it done... and 25...

A stop gap is a bad idea...

Drafting QB's high is a risky thing... and the extra picks for cutler would be like paying for insurance...

1st round QB's in the recent History...

Bold became good starters..

Bold/green became all stars &/or probowlers

italic/red flopped...

I left out some recent QBs who are still of unknown quality...

58% became busts

27% became all stars

15% became good starters

That is about a 1 in 4 chance of drafting a stud QB in the 1st round... so it makes giving up only 2 1st round picks make a whole lot more sense...

Vince Young

Matt Lienart

Jay Cutler

Alex Smith

Aaron Rodgers

Jason Campbell

Eli Manning

Phillip Rivers

Big Ben

JP Losman

Carson Palmer

Byron Leftwich

Kyle Boller

Rex Grossman

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Patrick Ramsey

Mike Vick

Chad Pennington

Tim Couch

Donovan Mcnabb

Akili Smith

Daunte Culpepper

Cade McNown

Peyton Manning

Ryan Leaf

It's worse than that. Some of those "busts" didn't look like total busts as rookies (Leinart, McNown, Ramsey, Leftwich, Young), and 3 of those who became good weren't really good until year 3 or later (Palmer, Rivers, Rodgers, Pennington, and I'd even throw in Brees since he was the first pick in round 2).

Next, I would cross off examples like Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, and Michael Vick as "successful" examples anyway because they were all legit top-3 picks that we don't & won't have access to.

In year three it will be the 2011 season. In 2011:

Tony Richardson will be 40.

Alan Faneca will be 35.

Damien Woody will be 34.

Shaun Ellis will be 34.

Thomas Jones will be 33.

Kris Jenkins will be 32.

Kenyon Coleman will be 32.

Bart Scott will be 31.

Calvin Pace will be 31.

Brandon Moore will be 31.

Abram Elam will be 30.

Leon Washington will be 29.

Nick Mangold will be a UFA if we don't lock him up somehow.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be entering the last year of his contract with a cap number of at least $12.6M (more if the OT franchise number is >$10M).

While I'm not a fan of frivolously throwing away draft picks, this will not be the same team in 2011 that it is in 2009 -- let alone in 2012 and beyond. And all that is if - IF - a QB we draft at #17 is everything we hope he'll be, which is pretty unlikely to happen anyway.

Buccaneers | Cutler likely out of team's reach

Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:30:38 -0700

Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler may be out of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' reach. Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik has not talked to Denver since the failed attempt to execute a three-way deal. It is believed it will take a first-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft to land Cutler. The Buccaneers have the No. 19 overall pick in the draft, but they do not have a second-round pick.

I get that you think so. But, my point was that no one on the planet thinks we can get Cutler without our #1, except you.

It's worse than that. Some of those "busts" didn't look like total busts as rookies (Leinart, McNown, Ramsey, Leftwich, Young), and 3 of those who became good weren't really good until year 3 or later (Palmer, Rivers, Rodgers, Pennington, and I'd even throw in Brees since he was the first pick in round 2).

So in other words, punch him in his pie-hole.

Archived