Hakeem Nicks is the best WR available to us at 17

SUorangefootball

Hakeem Nicks is a special talent. Hands, speed quickness, selflessness and modesty. He is a Steve Smith / Marvin Harrison type player who will be doing nothing but making plays on Sundays for years to come. He is soft spoken and a solid teammate and would be a perfect fit for the Jets.

Comments?

Hakeem Nicks is a special talent. Hands, speed quickness, selflessness and modesty. He is a Steve Smith / Marvin Harrison type player who will be doing nothing but making plays on Sundays for years to come. He is soft spoken and a solid teammate and would be a perfect fit for the Jets.

Comments?

Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison?? They're nothing like each other on the field other then making plays and Smith is a hot headed big mouth. As far as Nicks goes I'd rather have Britt or DHB but not at 17, we could trade down and still get them as well as an extra pick.

I'm not in love with Nicks, personally, but I wouldn't have a problem with him. He doesn't really give us the deep threat that we're lacking but I always like WRs with great hands as long as they have at least solid tools, and Nicks has some pretty good tools to work with. I'd rather go with DHB assuming he's around. Also, his scouting reports sound more like an Anquan Boldin type than Smith or Harrison.

Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison?? They're nothing like each other on the field other then making plays and Smith is a hot headed big mouth. As far as Nicks goes I'd rather have Britt or DHB but not at 17, we could trade down and still get them as well as an extra pick.

That would of course be ideal, but I have this gut feeling that DHB will be taken the pick directly after us by the Chicago Bears.

I just think when you have a converted CB as your starting WR, who honeslty is not that good, they are in desperate need of a #1 receiver. They could obviously go DE and address they abysmal pass rush, but WR seems to be their biggest need.

That would of course be ideal, but I have this gut feeling that DHB will be taken the pick directly after us by the Chicago Bears.

I just think when you have a converted CB as your starting WR, who honeslty is not that good, they are in desperate need of a #1 receiver. They could obviously go DE and address they abysmal pass rush, but WR seems to be their biggest need.

There should still be all the WRs left by the time Chicago drafts expect Crabtree and Maclin and I think they're going to draft DL they need a DE or someone who can get to the QB. If they do draft a WR my guess would be DHB or Harvin so Britt will still be there. Either way I can't wait for the ****ing draft to start.

route running of Marvin Harrison with the explosiveness of Steve Smith, Just 2 elements of those guys games, clearly Harrison and Smith are different but they have smilar elements and i believe Nicks contains elements of both players

And he's 7 ft. tall, I've heard, and if he were here today, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lightning bolting from his arse.

Different opinion from this guy...anyone else think he lasts to the second round? Many had six WRs going in the first round last year only to many drop to much later...

Thoughts...

Scouting report: North Carolina's Hakeem Nicks

March 8, 2009 Russ Lande

War Room scouts

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=525495

A scout's-eye view of North Carolina wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, a likely second-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft:

Hands: Has excellent hands. Looks natural catching passes outside his body's frame. Does not peek at the defense when he comes across the middle. Shows the ability to catch the high pass in traffic and will hold onto the ball after taking a hard hit after the catch. Has a bad habit of letting the pass get into his body. Grade: 8.5

Patterns: Lacks explosiveness to get separation off the line and does not show the playing speed to get separation from defenders on deep routes. Is a smart route-runner who does an excellent job of disguising the route, so he can often turn the cornerback around and get separation. Does a good job of extending his route to get open when the quarterback is flushed from the pocket. Grade: 7.5

Run after catch: Makes big plays with the ball in his hands. Does an excellent job of getting started upfield quickly after the catch. Gets to full speed fast and has better than expected speed to outrun players with angles on him. Is a competitive runner who is able to thwart arm tackles and gain yards after contact. Grade: 8.0

Release: Has limited ability to burst by cornerbacks with quick release. When cornerbacks line up in press coverage, he does a good job of defeating the jam to get off the line quickly. Does not give away his routes. Grade: 5.0

Blocking: Is not a competitive blocker despite flashing the ability to block. Too often just tries to get in the way. If the defender moves, he does not stay after the block and keep him out of the play. Grade: 5.0

Bottom line: Nicks made the right decision to declare early for the draft. He had a breakout junior season and is entering when his stock is the highest. He has everything it takes to make big plays, and he is a rare receiving prospect who should be drafted late in the first round or early in the second.

I live in NC and have seen Nicks a lot. I like him but I think many here are over estimating him. Soon he's going to eat lightning bolts and sh1t fire. They played some inferior teams and it really helped his stats. He's very quick and fast but he also goes down pretty easy, usually with one tackler, if they catch him early on.

This is were I like Britt better. He has good hands as well, he's not as fast as Hicks but he's fast enough. The best thing about Britt is that he breaks tackles. It usually takes a few guys to take him down and he fights for extra yardage. Plus he can support the run.

I like Nicks, Britt, Maclin and Crabtree. Not in that order.

I don't like DHB or Harvin. DHB is known for NOT having good hands. McDroppins part 2 only faster. Harvin IMO will not be a #1 WR. He seems to be more of a system guy. He's going to be more like Brad Smith or Ted Gin Jr. I'll pass and use my #1 on one of the other 4 IF we use the 17 on a WR.

Speed is great but it's not everything.

Nicks puts on 14 pounds since NFL combine

Posted: Pro Days | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Brandon Tate, Garrett Reynolds, Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

Representatives from 28 NFL teams attended the University of North Carolina Pro Day, including four wide receiver coaches. Jets WRs coach Henry Ellard, who has been making the rounds at these pro days, was of course one of the coaches in attendance.

Many scouts had to be surprised that WR Hakeem Nicks (6-0 7/8, 226 pounds) had gained 14 pounds since the combine. Nicks worked out in positional drills and turned in times of 4.43 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.96 in the three-cone drill, but he otherwise stood on his combine numbers

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/23/wr-nicks-puts-on-14-pounds-since-nfl-combine/

Hakeem Nicks showed up to the North Carolina Pro Day 14 pounds heavier than he weighed in at the Combine.

It's unclear if he did this purposely or simply has been a coach potato since February, but it's not easy to gain this much weight in just over a month. Nicks stood on his Combine forty-yard dash, but posted a weak short shuttle time (4.43). NFL people will be looking for answers after this.

http://www.rotoworld.com/

Nicks puts on 14 pounds since NFL combine

Posted: Pro Days | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Brandon Tate, Garrett Reynolds, Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

Representatives from 28 NFL teams attended the University of North Carolina Pro Day, including four wide receiver coaches. Jets WRs coach Henry Ellard, who has been making the rounds at these pro days, was of course one of the coaches in attendance.

Many scouts had to be surprised that WR Hakeem Nicks (6-0 7/8, 226 pounds) had gained 14 pounds since the combine. Nicks worked out in positional drills and turned in times of 4.43 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.96 in the three-cone drill, but he otherwise stood on his combine numbers

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/23/wr-nicks-puts-on-14-pounds-since-nfl-combine/

Hakeem Nicks showed up to the North Carolina Pro Day 14 pounds heavier than he weighed in at the Combine.

It's unclear if he did this purposely or simply has been a coach potato since February, but it's not easy to gain this much weight in just over a month. Nicks stood on his Combine forty-yard dash, but posted a weak short shuttle time (4.43). NFL people will be looking for answers after this.

http://www.rotoworld.com/

That's a very weak score for his short shuttle, on top of his 11 wonderlic. Not that big of a deal, but I don't think it's something that will propel him into the mid first. I would not be surprised if he slipped into the second, I just don't see this many WRs going in the first round.

Archived