All the Details of the Sheppard Trade Inside

JMJ

Great deal for the Jets at first glance. What says some of you? (especially Sperm and Jason423?)

Per the NY Daily News Jets Blog:

- Technically, there's no guaranteed money in the contract. Sheppard will make $3 million this season, the same he would've made with the Eagles.

- In March, 2010, there's a $10 million option bonus. If the Jets decide to pay it, a new four-year, $27.2 million kicks in.

- If Sheppard is injured and misses considerable time, the Jets can get out of the deal after one year and they wouldn't owe the Eagles a draft pick in 2010. If that's the case, all it would've cost them is a fifth-round pick in the '09 draft. One person familiar with the deal said it could amount to a "one-year test drive" for the Jets.

- The conditional pick in '10 can rise to a second-rounder, but only if he hits an 85% playing-time plateau AND receives the four-year extension. And if that does happen, the Jets would get a fifth-rounder back from the Eagles.

- If Sheppard makes 85%, but doesn't receive the extension, the Jets would owe a third-rounder to the Eagles and would recoup a fifth rounder.

- Obviously, there are a number of different scenarios, and I won't bore you with them, but this is the essence of the trade.

Bottom line: If Sheppard stinks, it'll be a one-year deal for $3 million and would cost them a fifth-round pick. If he becomes a full-time starter, the Jets probably will have to give up a second- or third-rounder in addition to this year's fifth and they'll have to pay him roughly what this year's top cornerback free agents (the Colts' Kelvin Hayden and the Ravens' Domonique Foxworth) received on their just-signed deals.

If he's playing well, games themselves are too important. But, it's easy to keep a guy under 85% of the snaps.

True but if he winds up just being a nickle back... sit him for a couple games and dont worry about the PT...

Where is JiF?

A deal based on a player getting extended... I thought NEVER would that happen in the NFL again... lol

Did I say that couldnt happen?

You might have me confused with someone else. I dont think I have ever argued either way. Or that discussion has escaped my memory. What was the setting, who was the player? :confused:

Did I say that couldnt happen?

You might have me confused with someone else. I dont think I have ever argued either way. Or that discussion has escaped my memory. What was the setting, who was the player? :confused:

Crap!

Larz where are you! Not JiF... Larz... I know such close names! :bag:

but they held all the cards all along. I'm not pissed or anything, just think you won't see these types of conditions on a trade ever again

EDIT: wrong guy!

Where is ***?.... I meant Larz

A deal based on a player getting extended... I thought NEVER would that happen in the NFL again... lol

close...but no cigar

if it was a straight up extension clause, I would concede the point

"The conditional pick in '10 can rise to a second-rounder, but only if he hits an 85% playing-time plateau AND receives the four-year extension. And if that does happen, the Jets would get a fifth-rounder back from the Eagles."

the vilma straight extension clause obviously evolved into a combo deal with on and off field conditions due to the vilma deal, and was clearly influenced by the vilma deal

so my original point still stands, the vilma clause was essentially worthless because the saints had the power to control the outcome with a "wink-wink" off the table deal with vilma ONLY

the jets would have to also bench a healthy player in this case, and every player who has playing time incentives also has an agent with the NFLPA on speed dial the first time his guy is a healthy scratch, a greivance is filed

close...but no cigar

"The conditional pick in '10 can rise to a second-rounder, but only if he hits an 85% playing-time plateau AND receives the four-year extension. And if that does happen, the Jets would get a fifth-rounder back from the Eagles."

the vilma straight extension clause obviously evolved into a combo deal with on and off field conditions due to the vilma deal, and was clearly influenced by the vilma deal

so my original point still stands, the vilma clause was essentially worthless because the saints had the power to control the outcome with a "wink-wink" off the table deal with vilma ONLY

the jets would have to also bench a healthy player in this case, and every player who has playing time incentives also has an agent with the NFLPA on speed dial the first time his guy is a healthy scratch, a greivance is filed

Oh stop it... its the same damn thing... if he hits 85% then the JETS are in the same position the saints just were with Vilma... and I am sure Vilma had some PT marks in his deal too...

Oh stop it... its the same damn thing... if he hits 85% then the JETS are in the same position the saints just were with Vilma... and I am sure Vilma had some PT marks in his deal too...

dude

I really couldn't care less, and don't want to get into a pissing match

it's not the same thing

True but if he winds up just being a nickle back... sit him for a couple games and dont worry about the PT...

If he's just a nickel back, he won't reach 85% anyway - nor will the Jets be looking to pick up the four year $27M extension. So nothing to worry about compensation-wise, there.

I guess they can do something similar to what the Saints did to us if they want.... he reaches 85%, and the Jets want him back, but... they scrap the deal as written, and put something else together. Let him hit free agency for ten minutes or something.

close...but no cigar

That's ridiculous. The only difference between this and Vilma is that this deal also has the DRob condition in it. The Jets don't just have the Vilma out (6 minutes of FA) they also have the DRob out (sit him for 2 plays in 10 to "get Lowery some snaps")

That's ridiculous. The only difference between this and Vilma is that this deal also has the DRob condition in it. The Jets don't just have the Vilma out (6 minutes of FA) they also have the DRob out (sit him for 2 plays in 10 to "get Lowery some snaps")

Realistically its going to be very hard for Sheppard to reach an 85% incentive. He has never once started in 16 games. He has only suited up for 16 games twice in his career- his second year in the NFL, where he only started 9 games, and last season where he only started 3 times. My guess is last season he played less than 39% of the snaps for his team. So the odds are as stacked against Lito reaching 85% as they were D-Rob reaching whatever just because of his track record when it comes to health.

JMO, but my guess is the Jets and Sheppard know he is never seeing both those incentive escalators and that option bonus. I would think the Jets figure(assuming he plays ok) they can get him on a new deal after the season with a bonus either equal to the escaltor of 6.2 million or the 10 million option bonus figure, but with an extra year thrown on the end of the deal.

Archived