Wonder what position we draft with the 17th?

TNJet

theres a draft forum?? lol

Yeah Max just created it recently... you get a free pass... only this time though... did it again and you have to spend one hour in the broom closet in the mod lounge... with BP...

wr in rd 1 rarely works out. for whatever reason can't miss prospects always seem to miss in rd 1.

The Hall of Fame is full of first round WR's. The Pro Bowl is dominated by former #1's. Problem is, it's a boom or bust position. Take Detroit out of the equation, and they look better. You just gotta do your homework, and take the right guy. Reggie Wayne's looking like a pretty awesome pick at #30 after David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss, and Freddie Mitchell all came off the board - and many thought Reggie was drafted too early at the time!

There's a lot of WR talent in this year's draft. I'd love for them to just pick their guy and draft him. The bust potential is there, but so is the chance for a gamebreaker.

Some threads on this in the draft ;) forum...

here is one of them... there is at least one WR specific one too...

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72274

Yeah Max just created it recently... you get a free pass... only this time though... did it again and you have to spend one hour in the broom closet in the mod lounge... with BP...

Thanks for filling everyone in, Mr. Deegan.:Nuts:

I think the Jets have filled enough holes over the past few days that they can justifiably take BPA. Personally I think that'll be WR, RB, or CB.

Go D in round 1. I wouldnt mind DE, S, CB. Take a WR in the 2nd.

Its a deep draft for WR and I hate taking WR mid round in the first. That is the most likely spot for WR to bust IMO.

You can find solid talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This year inparticular I think we can land something very solid in the 2nd.

I am not sure a round 1 WR would help in 2009, that is pretty rare.

I was going to CB, but it looks like we have that covered. DE seems like a waste as well.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a RB in the first.

BZ

RB is my first choice, too, assuming the draft goes to form (Wells, Moreno, etc). It makes sense for the Jets, a team that is looking to feature its defense - a consistent running game will be critical in keeping the defense rested. And its a need. Jones is old for a RB, a position where players get old fast. Anyway, he will need to be rested. Finally, regarding Jones, I believe he will be owed one of those kiss-of-death roster bonuses b/f 2010.

RB is my first choice, too, assuming the draft goes to form (Wells, Moreno, etc). It makes sense for the Jets, a team that is looking to feature its defense - a consistent running game will be critical in keeping the defense rested. And its a need. Jones is old for a RB, a position where players get old fast. Anyway, he will need to be rested. Finally, regarding Jones, I believe he will be owed one of those kiss-of-death roster bonuses b/f 2010.

I think with the trade for Sheppard definitely puts Moreno/Wells in play for the Jets for the reasons you mentioned above. I don't think Jones is due any large roster bonus though. I'm sure Sperm/Jason will know for sure, but I seem to remember some early rumblings from Jones about his contract already this offseason because his deal was actually more front loaded. I remember reading he got $12M of the $20M in the first 2 years, meaning we'll only owe him $8M over the next 2. So unless he's only making the vet minimum this year, it shouldn't be an issue other than he'll probably be looking for an extension next offseason

I am not sure a round 1 WR would help in 2009, that is pretty rare.

I was going to CB, but it looks like we have that covered. DE seems like a waste as well.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a RB in the first.

BZ

How is DE a waste, its the deepest most talented class this year probably, the likes of orakpo, maybin, brown, selvie...How is DE not a priority, do we still want to watch Ellis and Coleman out there?? I think it's either Mark Sanchez, I think Rex wants his own qb possibly, could be totally wrong on that one and i dont even like the idea, frankly I hope we get the best defensive player available, you could always use younger pass rushing depth, cb depth, or lb depth, especially in a 3-4.

I think it's either Sanchez, Heyward-Bay, Laurinaitis, Vontae Davis or Brown. (and if i get crap for listing a couple of names like that, screw off lol, its tough to narrow down who I want, who I think we can get, and who Ryan wants)

The Hall of Fame is full of first round WR's. The Pro Bowl is dominated by former #1's. Problem is, it's a boom or bust position. Take Detroit out of the equation, and they look better. You just gotta do your homework, and take the right guy. Reggie Wayne's looking like a pretty awesome pick at #30 after David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss, and Freddie Mitchell all came off the board - and many thought Reggie was drafted too early at the time!

There's a lot of WR talent in this year's draft. I'd love for them to just pick their guy and draft him. The bust potential is there, but so is the chance for a gamebreaker.

When did we get Cotch, 4th or 3rd, whatever, the thing with him was, "he runs good routes" we weren't sure he'd make the team, from NC state he was nothing, now he's our best WR and he's made some of the best and biggest plays over the last 4 years.

The draft is such a friggin crap shoot, it's hardly worth discussing, yet there's so much to talk about, it's fun to speculate.

We could get a guy in round 3-5 that will be the best WR in the draft.

If crabtree falls, you take him. But if we really want a good big or fast receiver there will be one for us at 17, definitely. just gotta pick the right guy.

How is DE a waste, its the deepest most talented class this year probably, the likes of orakpo, maybin, brown, selvie...How is DE not a priority, do we still want to watch Ellis and Coleman out there?? I think it's either Mark Sanchez, I think Rex wants his own qb possibly, could be totally wrong on that one and i dont even like the idea, frankly I hope we get the best defensive player available, you could always use younger pass rushing depth, cb depth, or lb depth, especially in a 3-4.

I think it's either Sanchez, Heyward-Bay, Laurinaitis, Vontae Davis or Brown. (and if i get crap for listing a couple of names like that, screw off lol, its tough to narrow down who I want, who I think we can get, and who Ryan wants)

I definitely agree that DE is a priority, however the guys you listed are more suited to play OLB in our scheme and about 30+ lbs to light to play DE.

If you're looking for a 34 DE you need to look no further than Tyson Jackson outta my LSU, the perfect 5 technique. Jarron Gilbert is extremely intriguing, so is Ziggy Hood and Fili Moala, among others.

I like your list of players, but little animal would be terrible in a 34 and the signing of Scott makes it pretty unncessary to target so early.

Also, Selvie is still in college.

very likely a WR or DL.

My guess for WR is Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks, because in the style of offense Rex wants, a ball control offense, you want big body receivers who catch the pass and can be big target. The jets have speed in Clowney and Stuckey. and possesion is covered by Cotchery. the seam and safety is taken by Keller.

So all that's left is a matchup nightmare who can block, like Britt or Nicks.

lets go Tanny, I'm your No.1 supporter so make it happen

I love Percy Harvin and Heyward-Bey for the speed.

Harvin has a lot of playmaker in him reminds me of Reggie Bush a tiny bit. Kind of guy who is talented enough to line up in the backfield or split out as a receiver.

I see him more as a slot guy than a split end but a guy you could do a lot of things with and keep defenses off balance.

The other Carolina WR, who got hurt during the season(forget his name) could be better than Nicks.

brandon Tate..yes ,,a steal in prob 3rd or 4th base don recovering from knee surgery,,BUT, one of his biggest assets is returner and we have washington