Dont think Leonard and Ivy

TNJet

Exactly. Regardless of my shortcomings, I still contend that I could manage to keep from falling on my face when trying to cover a player at the ultra-elusive position of fullback.

Also, I read your file and it said although you ran a 6.8 40, you have real "football speed" and you have all the "intangibles".

NFL network was saying Sheppard would be used as a nickel back. as if they didn't see him as the jets starting corner

I heard Lombardi say that last night and I was thinking ... WTF? He doesn't know our personnel that well obviously . Lito is our #2 CB.

Abram Elam would start over Eric Smith.

I still think Jim Leonhard and Corey Ivy land here, its just going to take longer than expected because they want to view other options, they weren't like Bart where he was going to be a Raven or a Jet and that was that.

That being said if the Jets ended up with Elam as the other S and Lowery as the Nickelback, our unit would still be much improved over last year just because Lowery isn't starting and Lito Sheppard, a 2007 Pro Bowler before complaining about his contract and falling out of favor in Philly, as the #2 Corner.

I'd love to see both Leonard and Ivy come here . Just adds to our depth. Ivy and Lowery can battle for the #3 CB.

I think we all also need to understand is that whoever is in the #2 spot is going to give us headaches regardless. Revis is the real deal, so the #2 is gonna see a hail storm of balls (no homo) that's just the way it goes. I'd rather see a competition between Sheppard and Lowery then Poteat and Lowery. JMO

He will get picked on, but not necessarily cause headaches. If you have a solid #2 CB, which we have not had, and great defensive coaching, which we certainly have not had, you can make adjustments and be fine.

anything to keep drew coleman off the field, nobody chases WRs all over the field like that guy.

let lowery develop in the nickle spot while lito handles the #2 CB position, lowery showed us over the 2nd half of the season he isnt starting material, unless he makes some great leaps and bounds this training camp i think hes still a project and theres no need to rush him right now.

He will get picked on, but not necessarily cause headaches. If you have a solid #2 CB, which we have not had, and great defensive coaching, which we certainly have not had, you can make adjustments and be fine.

Not to mention if we are able to implement the pass rush we think we can, Lowery or Lito is going to look all sorts of better.

The other thing you have to add is that Elam was terrible in coverage. He was a pure liability and really gave no help to our #2 or our Nickel back.

If we can land a S that knows how to cover and add that pass rush, we should be solid with either at #2.

let lowery develop in the nickle spot while lito handles the #2 CB position, lowery showed us over the 2nd half of the season he isnt starting material, unless he makes some great leaps and bounds this training camp i think hes still a project and theres no need to rush him right now.

Lowery overacheived as a fourth round rookie thrust into a starting role. It stands to reason that he would start to break down over the long NFL season and that other team's would also put together film on him and figure out how to attack him better. He's a smart kid, and a hard worker, and I think he'll have a big role on the team for years to come. I wouldn't count out moving him to safety, either.

Thing is, in the NFL you need at least four quality CB's. I'd like to see Ivy here if he's another guy Rex really likes. I'm also curious as to what these geniuses might be able to get out of Ahmad Carroll.

First of all, let's stop with the garbage about Lowery being better than Lito. Lowery showed some promise last year, but he got burnt way too often. He doesn't have the speed to cover many of the league's top WRs, even #2 WRs on many teams. Maybe with some experience, Lowery can figure out how to get a good bump at the line and buy some more time.

Lito is the better player, hands down. The 'competition' in training camp will be a joke. They didn't just give the guy a nice extension because they think Lowery can start and play at a high level.

Lito lost his starting job because of injuries and the emergence of Sheldon Brown. Brown is a good player who had a breakout year last season.

On to Leonhard...

He's a nice player, good underdog story and all. He'll provide some depth at safety, but he isn't the kind of player that can stay on the field for 3 downs a series week in and week out. He's the kind of player Rex likes because he can line up and play nickel or dime CB, rush the QB, and is a solid tackler. I think his size will prove to be an issue in the long run. I hope the Jets don't tie up too much cash in a role player like this.

anything to keep drew coleman off the field, nobody chases WRs all over the field like that guy.

Let's not forget that Lowery was just a rookie last year.

Not to mention if we are able to implement the pass rush we think we can, Lowery or Lito is going to look all sorts of better.

Great point. Look at the Giants. There front 7 is so strong in pass rushing that they make a rather pedestrian secondary look great.

I think you're underrating Leonhard, he was a really nice player for Baltimore last year, was selected to wear the radio in the helmet over Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, ect. Definately an upgrade over what we currently have. Of course, so would Sean Jones and a couple other Free Agents so I don't think it's a must-sign scenario.

Dead on about Ivy though. He's Poteat with another name, no big loss.

Archived