tidbits: Jets might bring back Bowens

kukirojas

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/safety_jim_leonard_visits_new.html

Just trying to catch my breath after a couple of whirlwind days. I really like the moves by general manager Mike Tannenbaum thus far -- and the non-moves, namely not signing an aging Ray Lewis and instead going with the younger Bart Scott.

Acquiring cornerback Lito Sheppard is a home run. Having two top-notch cornerbacks able to play one-on-one coverage will open up all types of possibilities for the blitz-happy Rex Ryan.

As expected, Ravens safety Jim Leonhard and Bills tight end Robert Royal visited Sunday, but neither signed a contract. I would be shocked if Leonhard didn't end up a Jet. He may want to explore his options but I'm sure the Jets will top any deal he might get.

Royal, primarily a blocker, looks like a perfect replacement for Chris Baker. I can't imagine teams lining up at his doorstep. The Bills recently cut him.

Re-signing guard Brandon Moore was wise.

Also, my guys are telling me that the Jets are very interested in re-signing linebacker David Bowens after the free agency frenzy calms down. The Jets always wanted to keep him but not at his $2 million base salary for the 2009 season. Bowens is a valuable backup and front-line special teams player.

On another front, I talked to the Laveranues Coles camp Sunday and the Bills want him badly. They want to team him with the speedy Lee Evans. Coles would be the intermediate receiver while Evans would be the deep threat. Makes sense.

Coles isn't in a hurry to make a decision, however, and will see what else develops. Surprisingly, I was told that the Dolphins and Browns are not in the running, as many have speculated. Both teams are pretty much set at receiver.

If Coles ends up with the Bills, the number of ex-Jets in the AFC East with something to prove against their former teams will triple.

In addition to QB Chad Pennington (Dolphins), the Jets would face Baker (Patriots) and (Coles). And all those players are in a position to impact the game.

Meanwhile, the Jets have canceled a noon press conference Monday with Scott because of the snow. We may get him on a conference call.

Bills tight end Robert Royal visited Sunday,

that's news to me

from espn;

News: The Bills released Royal on Thursday, which will save the team $8 million in salary cap space.

Spin: The Bills are looking to significantly improve their pass catching out of the tight end spot -- possibly with a high draft pick -- and Royal isn't anything more than a decent all-around player. He's also 30 and is coming off an injury-plagued season, not worthy of a decent amount of cap space. Royal had 33 catches for 351 yards and one touchdown last season.

meh

if we can get him for cheap depth, why not

Archived