Jets looking to bring back Bowens

BroadwayJoe12

The Jets are interested in bringing back free agent LB David Bowens, but only at the right price.

The Jets released Bowens in February to avoid paying him a roster bonus and $2 million salary. There is reportedly some organizational concern that Bowens "can't run anymore," but new coach Rex Ryan likes his attitude.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1285

Could definitely help out our LB depth. I liked the versatility bowens brought in, and it often seemed as he was the only LB getting consistent pressure when he was brought in a few of his packages.

The Jets are interested in bringing back free agent LB David Bowens, but only at the right price.

The Jets released Bowens in February to avoid paying him a roster bonus and $2 million salary. There is reportedly some organizational concern that Bowens "can't run anymore," but new coach Rex Ryan likes his attitude.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1285

Could definitely help out our LB depth. I liked the versatility bowens brought in, and it often seemed as he was the only LB getting consistent pressure when he was brought in a few of his packages.

Special teams, as well.

Im all about Bowens for depth. He is versatile and he is smart. If we are coming with Pace/Bowens and Thomas/Gholston, I think we should be in good depth shape on the outside.

Not to mention he can play on the inside as well.

Good depth, versatility, can play Special Teams. I'd go for it if the price is right. Just don't put him in coverage...

+1

And I'd think at this stage the price would be right.

Wouldn't you rather bring in Barton to provide LB depth. I guess it does depend on what number both are separately seeking. But to me, I wouldn't have an older Bowens playing coverage LB, if anything he would be brought in to stop the run, which Barton did a much better job of accomplishing this past year. I mean does anyone know the price difference between the two and then the correlation between their ages, and then I would be willing to bet that Barton is a better fit altogether at backup ILB...

Wouldn't you rather bring in Barton to provide LB depth. I guess it does depend on what number both are separately seeking. But to me, I wouldn't have an older Bowens playing coverage LB, if anything he would be brought in to stop the run, which Barton did a much better job of accomplishing this past year. I mean does anyone know the price difference between the two and then the correlation between their ages, and then I would be willing to bet that Barton is a better fit altogether at backup ILB...

I think you answered your own question ... all about the bucks.

Bowens probably commands much less.

I think you answered your own question ... all about the bucks.

Bowens probably commands much less.

I guess, I mean I do like his presence in the locker room, but I just think it's time to move forward. Also, anyone know WHY WE AREN'T PURSUING PEPPERS?!?!?! (too much money??) Anyone know what we approximately have to spend??

I guess, I mean I do like his presence in the locker room, but I just think it's time to move forward. Also, anyone know WHY WE AREN'T PURSUING PEPPERS?!?!?! (too much money??) Anyone know what we approximately have to spend??

He would not only cost too many picks, which we need to use on other holes on our team, but he would break the bank on playing a position he has never played before. He is an absolute stud in the 43, i'm sure he could play well as a 34 OLB, but I wouldn't risk all that on him.

Also, we already have 3 players to fill the 2 positions.

Barton probably thinks he can latch on in the second phase of FA as a middle range paid player who can walk into or at least compete for a starting spot. And that probably is the case. He had a pretty respectable year for the Jets playing in a defense that he isn't necessarily best suited for, and I think there's a number of teams out there where Barton could be considered an upgrade. Bowens is a backup LB period, everyone knows that, including him. I don't see Barton accepting that role until its clearly obvious that no other team sees him as anything but a backup.

Archived