Coles to Bungels ?

Thai Jet

Just heard this on our local Buffalo ) NBC affiliate: WR Levernaus Coles has been contacted by the Cincinnati Bengals and is planning a visit. The Bengals interest was spurred by they losing of TJ to the Seahawks. Coles, reportedly , has still not responded to the Bills offer which is the only one he has on the table.

Just heard this on our local Buffalo ) NBC affiliate: WR Levernaus Coles has been contacted by the Cincinnati Bengals and is planning a visit. The Bengals interest was spurred by they losing of TJ to the Seahawks. Coles, reportedly , has still not responded to the Bills offer which is the only one he has on the table.

Makes some sense for Cincy, I guess.

It's not good financially when the team that wants you is the Bungles....they're one of the cheapest franchises around

Exactly . It also looks bad when the man who actually drafted you and your best friends team has ZERO interest.

Exactly . It also looks bad when the man who actually drafted you and your best friends team has ZERO interest.

Miami has the cap room to do it. I think Tuna doesn't want him, and not because of his play. This is a player who bitched about his team's FO to the media, behind the scenes to other players - while team captain no less - and I don't think Parcells will go for that. Not with the merely good production Coles gives you & his concussion history. And it seems there are a lot of GM's on a lot of other teams that aren't interested in getting that either.

Eventually someone will make him an offer probably. But so far Coles is looking like a fool for letting the Jets out of a one year $6M guaranteed deal. One in which he would be the #1 WR, could get his numbers back up, play the good soldier for 1 year, and then seek out free agency a year later. With multiple concussions, his so-so numbers, and his history of bashing his franchise, he'll be lucky to get more than $6-8M guaranteed on a multi-year deal now. He may get it, but clearly the whole league isn't in a bidding war for LC's services.

I am not sure who looks like more of an idiot.. LC's agent for telling him he can get more on the open market, or Coles for actually believing it. I think it would only be fitting for him to end his career getting paid decent coin on a lousy team. As much as I have always appreciated his play, he was always about the money

Miami has the cap room to do it. I think Tuna doesn't want him, and not because of his play. This is a player who bitched about his team's FO to the media, behind the scenes to other players - while team captain no less - and I don't think Parcells will go for that. Not with the merely good production Coles gives you & his concussion history. And it seems there are a lot of GM's on a lot of other teams that aren't interested in getting that either.

Eventually someone will make him an offer probably. But so far Coles is looking like a fool for letting the Jets out of a one year $6M guaranteed deal. One in which he would be the #1 WR, could get his numbers back up, play the good soldier for 1 year, and then seek out free agency a year later. With multiple concussions, his so-so numbers, and his history of bashing his franchise, he'll be lucky to get more than $6-8M guaranteed on a multi-year deal now. He may get it, but clearly the whole league isn't in a bidding war for LC's services.

The crew on the NFLN have been REALLY questioning his move to walk away from a sure $6 mil. They assumed that when he did so he already had a deal in place with another team. It was the only thing that made any sense. Guess not. ! :P

I am not sure who looks like more of an idiot.. LC's agent for telling him he can get more on the open market, or Coles for actually believing it. I think it would only be fitting for him to end his career getting paid decent coin on a lousy team. As much as I have always appreciated his play, he was always about the money

Yup. Let's not forget that he bolted to the Redskins for more coin once before. We'll see how he does with the Bengels. :P He's in Cincy today for a visit.

Sometimes the best way to tell a player that he is past his prime and not worth that last big payday he wants is to let the open market tell it for you. Coles has had little to no interest and will definitely not be getting his big final payday.

...so far Coles is looking like a fool for letting the Jets out of a one year $6M guaranteed deal. One in which he would be the #1 WR, could get his numbers back up, play the good soldier for 1 year, and then seek out free agency a year later. With multiple concussions, his so-so numbers, and his history of bashing his franchise, he'll be lucky to get more than $6-8M guaranteed on a multi-year deal now.

I agree with you, and I'd take him back at numbers like that. A two or three year deal that they could get out of inexpensively as early as next season. Draft the stud WR of your dreams at #17 without forcing him into the starting lineup, then let Coles walk and try again next year.

The crew on the NFLN [..] assumed that when he did so he already had a deal in place with another team. It was the only thing that made any sense. Guess not. ! :P

I really thought so, too. $6M is a lot of money for one year - especially a player like Coles who is on the downside and has his concussion history, too. His ego must be trying to kill him. Every other time he pulled some stunt, it worked for him. It's looking like it ain't gonna happen this time.

Archived