Leonhard Agrees to Terms with Jets

JMJ

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This will be a solid signing. I'm not expecting miracles from this guy, but certainly an upgrade over what we have now, and his knowledge of the system is what brings the most value to the deal.

Well said. If anything I'm hoping he can show Rhodes the ropes and we can utilize Leonard as the blitzing safety and have Rhodes play the "centerfielder" role that Reed plays in Baltimore. Goddamn I hope our defense hurts people next year.

This will be a solid signing. I'm not expecting miracles from this guy, but certainly an upgrade over what we have now, and his knowledge of the system is what brings the most value to the deal.

Also,

He wore the green dot mic-helmet for the Ravens last year. He is the guy Rex called all his plays into and the guy that relayed the plays to the rest of Baltimore's defense. There certainly has to be something said about that type of continuity on a defense where 9 of the 11 starters are new to the system.

Also,

He wore the green dot mic-helmet for the Ravens last year. He is the guy Rex called all his plays into and the guy that relayed the plays to the rest of Baltimore's defense. There certainly has to be something said about that type of continuity on a defense where 9 of the 11 starters are new to the system.

Thats real big, I wasnt aware of that, tremendous plus!!!

We don't need miracles. We need competence.

Just think how this world would be a better place if people simply did their jobs. You don't have to be spectacular, just freakin do it properly.

We don't need miracles. We need competence.

Just think how this world would be a better place if people simply did their jobs. You don't have to be spectacular, just freakin do it properly.

Honestly, if the guy can stay on his freakin' feet he's already a massive upgrade right there. Then count in the fact that he's a flat out better player then what we've got at the position currently, is familiar with the coach and the system and the Jets are in very good shape. The guy is no world beater for sure, but no NFL unit is made up of all superstars. He certainly didn't seem to hold the Ravens defense back at all last year and as previously pointed out, he was relaying the play calls in to the defense. The Jets have taken an abysmal secondary unit and at the very worst have at least made it solid. If these guys all play up to their potential and we generate a pass rush, it can be a whole lot more than that.

a solid pick up. I like that he gives Leon a break on PR duties and maybe gives him a few more carries a game. One thing about him is....he.is.fast.

You guys summed up my feelings. Overall, a very good addition to the team - at what I hope is a decent price.

Great signing, now just acquiring either Ivy to play the nickel will lock up our secondary needs.

as we all sit here wondering about where the activity is on the offensive side of the ball, we have to remember the Ravens were never afraid to give rookie players a try. Unlike Mangini's bullying of his last couple of rookie classes, I believe Ryan will draft us a couple of starters on the O-side of the ball-a WR a big TE and who knows maybe even a QB if he feels he can get one that's better than what we got.

I believe Ryan will draft us a couple of starters on the O-side of the ball-a WR a big TE and who knows maybe even a QB if he feels he can get one that's better than what we got.

All very difficult positions to come in and start at as rookies. We're probably looking at Cotchery and Stuckey as starting WR's, and Keller in closer to a fulltime role. I also tend to believe he's going to go with one of the QB's on our roster now, and let the performance of our starter(s) at QB in 2009 determine what they do in 2010.

All in all, I hope our defense lives up to Rex's dreams. :fan:

All very difficult positions to come in and start at as rookies. We're probably looking at Cotchery and Stuckey as starting WR's, and Keller in closer to a fulltime role. I also tend to believe he's going to go with out of the QB's on our roster now, and let the performance of our starter(s) at QB in 2009 determine what they do in 2010.

All in all, I hope our defense lives up to Rex's dreams.

As opposed to those positions that are easy to come in and start at as rookies?

RB, CB, and S are probably the easiest. They can heavily rely on their instincts early and still have positive results. Interior guys on the OL and DL would probably be next - guys who can rely heavily on the players next to them.

I'd hold off on drafting a RB until I was sure I wanted one to start, but I'd want to have a WR or QB to have the opportunity to develop more slowly. A TE is often being coached by both the receiver's coach and the OL coach, so has a lot on his plate.

WR almost seems to be the toughest. Even the best prospects can take two or three years to hit their stride.

Maybe not easier, but there are certain positions that don't require as difficult a transition as others. QB and WR are fairly difficult positions to make the transition, but RB is one of those that can come in and succeed right away. But, i understand your point, and if we go WR, we shouldn't expect more than 800 yards and say 5 or so tds, as that seems to be a very good mark for a 1st year WR.

This past year, Eddie Royal, Djax and Donnie Avery all put up solid numbers for first year receivers. I am desperately wanting a WR with our first pick.

Good to hear, hopefully he's not a 'one year wonder'

I'm going to lean towards no. Now, nothing is guaranteed, obviously, but the lunch-pail attitude that he has in his play just seems like something that won't go away with a new contract and starting position. I liken it to Calvin Pace in his first year in the 34. This was Leonard's first year to show what he really can do and he did it.

Calvin Pace, when moved to the 34, had a fantastic year, and many here were worried he would be a 1 year wonder. I think Leonard will only improve in our defense, as will Calvin. I'm certainly looking forward to this coming year.

Source: Not so fast, Jets -- 12:15 p.m.

The free-agent happy Denver Broncos are trying to pry away what was thought to be a slam dunk signing for Rex Ryan in New York.

A late bid by the Broncos has ex-Ravens safety Jim Leonhard reconsidering his verbal agreement to sign a free-agent contract with the Jets, a source told FOXSports.com.

— Alex Marvez

Source: Not so fast, Jets -- 12:15 p.m.

The free-agent happy Denver Broncos are trying to pry away what was thought to be a slam dunk signing for Rex Ryan in New York.

A late bid by the Broncos has ex-Ravens safety Jim Leonhard reconsidering his verbal agreement to sign a free-agent contract with the Jets, a source told FOXSports.com.

Archived