Leonhard Agrees to Terms with Jets

JMJ

Source: Not so fast, Jets -- 12:15 p.m.

The free-agent happy Denver Broncos are trying to pry away what was thought to be a slam dunk signing for Rex Ryan in New York.

A late bid by the Broncos has ex-Ravens safety Jim Leonhard reconsidering his verbal agreement to sign a free-agent contract with the Jets, a source told FOXSports.com.

A late bid by the Broncos has ex-Ravens safety Jim Leonhard reconsidering his verbal agreement to sign a free-agent contract with the Jets, a source told FOXSports.com.

Lets hurry up and sign him so we can trade him for Jay Cutler!

Its never easy. Never ever.

Never.

Money talks, of course, but I'm surprised he's willing to reconsider based on Denver. I wonder how much money is the difference?

Denver, at the moment, seems like a bad situation.

Hawt... Scott was begging him to sign on ESPN First Take...

Also,

He wore the green dot mic-helmet for the Ravens last year. He is the guy Rex called all his plays into and the guy that relayed the plays to the rest of Baltimore's defense. There certainly has to be something said about that type of continuity on a defense where 9 of the 11 starters are new to the system.

I didn't know that. Sweet.

Very happy to come back from lunch and see this news.

We now have a LB'er from the Ravens to teach our LBing core and a S to teach our secondary the system.

DE next?

You cant put a value on having committed proven players that know the system to be leaders/coaches on the field.

ACCORDING TO CIMINI

The Jets have agreed to terms with free-agent safety Jim Leonhard, according to FoxSports.com.

Leonhard visited the Jets over the weekend, so this comes as no surprise. He played for Rex Ryan in Baltimore. He's slated to start opposite Kerry Rhodes.

Meanwhile, talks with free-agent CB Corey Ivy have cooled, according to a league source. This is a strange one. On Friday, Ivy-to-the-Jets was all but a done deal, but he left the building without a contract.

UPDATE: Is Jim Leonhard pulling a Bart Scott?

The free-agent safety agreed to terms with the Jets, according to FoxSports.com, but now he's re-considering because of a late bid by the Broncos, the Web site is reporting.

For the record, a source close to Leonhard informs me that he can't confirm the Jets deal, but that an update should be coming shortly.

Hmm, sounds a little fishy, doesn't it?

This comes only four days after Scott reportedly agreed to terms with the Jets, then had his agent go back to the Ravens with their offer, initiating a bidding war - a theory that Scott and his agent flatly deny.

Also, the Jets have set up a visit with 49ers TE Billy Bajema, according to a league source. They had former Bills TE Robert Royal in over the weekend. Obviously, they're looking for a tight end that can block.

Well, he's no Bart Scott - in terms of conference-call pizzazz, that is.

We just finished a call with newly-acquired CB Lito Sheppard, formerly of the Eagles. As you probably know, the Jets acquired Sheppard for a fifth-round pick in the upcoming draft and, possibly, a conditional pick in 2010. He wasn't as chatty as Scott, and he really didn't get into specifics about what went wrong in Philly, but he said he's thankful to have a fresh start.

"It

ACCORDING TO CIMINI

The Jets have agreed to terms with free-agent safety Jim Leonhard, according to FoxSports.com.

Leonhard visited the Jets over the weekend, so this comes as no surprise. He played for Rex Ryan in Baltimore. He's slated to start opposite Kerry Rhodes.

Meanwhile, talks with free-agent CB Corey Ivy have cooled, according to a league source. This is a strange one. On Friday, Ivy-to-the-Jets was all but a done deal, but he left the building without a contract.

UPDATE: Is Jim Leonhard pulling a Bart Scott?

The free-agent safety agreed to terms with the Jets, according to FoxSports.com, but now he's re-considering because of a late bid by the Broncos, the Web site is reporting.

For the record, a source close to Leonhard informs me that he can't confirm the Jets deal, but that an update should be coming shortly.

Hmm, sounds a little fishy, doesn't it?

This comes only four days after Scott reportedly agreed to terms with the Jets, then had his agent go back to the Ravens with their offer, initiating a bidding war - a theory that Scott and his agent flatly deny.

Also, the Jets have set up a visit with 49ers TE Billy Bajema, according to a league source. They had former Bills TE Robert Royal in over the weekend. Obviously, they're looking for a tight end that can block.

This was already debunked... Scott was at the mall shopping with Rex waiting to sign his deal...

Sometimes you wonder if the media just makes things up because it is the Jets... lol

They know we will click on their blogs... thus driving up hits... thus creating more advertising money...

OR

Both of their agents are douchebags... lol

Very nice. Its amazing how much BS gets spewed regarding these types of things. I guess the Jets just going out and signing the guys they want isn't exciting enough news.

I hate conspiracy theories, but just based on perception, it does seem like the sports media hates the Jets and, thus, will go out of it's way to make the Jets look bad.

Seriously, how would anyone know (from Leonhard's perspective) that he's reconsidering?

I doubt the Bronco story would have come out there if the other team hadn't been the Jets?

I don't doubt that the Broncos made an offer to Leonhard's agent. How that offer turned into Leonhard reconsidering an agreement or even reneging is ridiculous.

We can't forget that Leonhard has a connection to the Jets staff. Thus, it's reasonable to conclude that he would not want to make Rex look bad. The media, however, gets 1 story, and draws their own conclusion with a negative Jets slant.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/not_so_fast_on_jim_leonard_to.html

Just received word from Ravens safety Jim Leonhard's agent that he has actually signed with the Jets. He signed a three-year deal. No other terms are available right now.

Earlier, Foxsports.com reported that the Jets had reached a verbal agreement when the Jets but shortly thereafter it reported that the Broncos entered the fray and there was a bidding war going on. On Friday, the Jets were locked in a duel with the Ravens over linebacker Bart Scott.

The signing of Leonhard gives the Jets two former Ravens and they remain interested in Ravens cornerback Corey Ivy and ex-Ravens defensive end Marquis Douglas.

Leonhard, a favorite of Jets coach Rex Ryan in Baltimore, will start opposite Kerry Rhodes. The signing of Leonhard and the acquistion of cornerback Lito Sheppard completes the retooling of the Jets leaky secondary. Sheppard and Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis will start at cornerback.

Last season, the Jets ranked 29th in the NFL in pass defense.

Earlier, we spoke with newly-acquired cornerback Lito Sheppard on a conference call and he couldn't be happier to be getting out of Philadelphia. A two-time Pro Bowler in 2005 and 2007, he got into a contract dispute following the 2007 season and it got even uglier when the Eagles signed Asante Samuel to a mega free-agent deal last offseason.

``The best thing for me, if I wanted to continue to play football, was to go elsewhere,'' said Sheppard. ``Change isn't always bad. Sometimes change can rejuvenate a player. If a player isn't completely happy, it can affect his play. So the best thing for that player and the organization is to let the player go elsewhere.''

Sheppard, 27, played his entire seven-year career in Philadelphia. In coach Rex Ryan's blitz-happy schemes, he'll be asked to play a lot of man-to-man coverage.

``I've been in this game for seven years now and I've been to two Pro Bowls,'' said Sheppard. ``I had a pretty okay career to this point. I played a lot of man-to-man in Philly and we blitzed a lot there.

``So I'm pretty familiar with getting the job done, if that's the case. We're going to see how it works out.''

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/not_so_fast_on_jim_leonard_to.html

Just received word from Ravens safety Jim Leonhard's agent that he has actually signed with the Jets. He signed a three-year deal. No other terms are available right now.

Earlier, Foxsports.com reported that the Jets had reached a verbal agreement when the Jets but shortly thereafter it reported that the Broncos entered the fray and there was a bidding war going on. On Friday, the Jets were locked in a duel with the Ravens over linebacker Bart Scott.

The signing of Leonhard gives the Jets two former Ravens and they remain interested in Ravens cornerback Corey Ivy and ex-Ravens defensive end Marquis Douglas.

Leonhard, a favorite of Jets coach Rex Ryan in Baltimore, will start opposite Kerry Rhodes. The signing of Leonhard and the acquistion of cornerback Lito Sheppard completes the retooling of the Jets leaky secondary. Sheppard and Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis will start at cornerback.

Last season, the Jets ranked 29th in the NFL in pass defense.

Earlier, we spoke with newly-acquired cornerback Lito Sheppard on a conference call and he couldn't be happier to be getting out of Philadelphia. A two-time Pro Bowler in 2005 and 2007, he got into a contract dispute following the 2007 season and it got even uglier when the Eagles signed Asante Samuel to a mega free-agent deal last offseason.

``The best thing for me, if I wanted to continue to play football, was to go elsewhere,'' said Sheppard. ``Change isn't always bad. Sometimes change can rejuvenate a player. If a player isn't completely happy, it can affect his play. So the best thing for that player and the organization is to let the player go elsewhere.''

Sheppard, 27, played his entire seven-year career in Philadelphia. In coach Rex Ryan's blitz-happy schemes, he'll be asked to play a lot of man-to-man coverage.

``I've been in this game for seven years now and I've been to two Pro Bowls,'' said Sheppard. ``I had a pretty okay career to this point. I played a lot of man-to-man in Philly and we blitzed a lot there.

``So I'm pretty familiar with getting the job done, if that's the case. We're going to see how it works out.''

greatest post i've read in a long time..............:cheers:

this post couldn't have come at a better time either with bronzey crampin up & all ;)

Who cares how tall he is if he can knock out players. Chad pennington should be very afraid of our defense this upcoming season.

Bronzey we are panicking down here in South Fla over this new revamped Jets Defense. Actually i'm going to ask for a refund for my season tickets theres no point now since the jets signed Ed Hartwell Pt.II and mini me.

Bronzey we are panicking down here in South Fla over this new revamped Jets Defense. Actually i'm going to ask for a refund for my season tickets theres no point now since the jets signed Ed Hartwell Pt.II and mini me.

you should be panicking. Ginn will get snapped in half leavin his feet for a floater.

Jets have a better front 7, potentially...

Yea maybe, I love David Harris i think he's a beast, Pace needs to step it up and be the pass rushing force that his paycheck says he should be. Bryan Thomas, ehh. Scott i'm not sold on..yet. Wanna see how he does without Ray and Suggs. Hali ngata > Kris Jenkins. I guess we shall see though. Leonard looks nice, i just like to bust balls. And he can contribute in the Return game.

I thought Wes Welker was 'mini me?' Or was I thinking of Chad Pennington's arm come playoff time?

He can fly...

83821404.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193003A50471BAAE0D52C6976208DBADE865A5397277B4DC33E