Serviceable:

9) Olshansky

10) Keisel

11) Pryce

12) Coleman

13) Smith (AZ)

14) Dockery?

Comments?

Yes. I'm calling bull**** on Dockett. You don't really know how he plays and just defaulted him to serviceable. T/F.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. I'm calling bull**** on Dockett. You don't really know how he plays and just defaulted him to serviceable. T/F.

A little of both - I think he's very good in their 4-3, but haven't seen him enough to judge in the 3-4. But what I did see, I didn't really like. Penetrates well but doesn't hold blockers, and their run defense seemed to suffer when they went 3-4. But again, I've only seen a little bit of him, so I could be completely wrong.

Starting 3-4 DEs

NY: Ellis, Coleman

NE: Seymour, Warren

PIT: Smith, Keisel

Balt: Ngata, Pryce

CLE: Williams, Smith

Denver: ??? Engleberger? McKinley?

KC: ??? McBride/Hali/Dorsey??

SD: Olshansky, Castillo

Dallas: [Canty][bowen], Spears

AZ: flex 3-4/4-3. Smith, Dockery?

Putting those into ranks/tiers, I'd say:

Elite:

1) Ngata

2) Seymour

3) Warren

4) Smith (PIT)

[if he was still a 3-4 end, Canty would slot in here]

Very Good:

5) Castillo

6) Williams

7) Ellis

8) Spears

Serviceable:

9) Olshansky

10) Keisel

11) Pryce

12) Coleman

13) Smith (AZ)

14) Dockery?

In dire need of replacement:

15) Bowen

16) Smith (CLE)

17-20) The DEs for KC and Den.

Comments?

ok now give them a letter grade. then grade out the start NT of all 3-4 teams. then let's see our overall d-line's grade compared to others.

Ok here we go... a list of current starting 3-4 DE's and their sack totals from last season...

JETS

Ellis (8 sacks) (3rd best in NFL among 3-4 DE's)

Coleman (.5 sacks)

Pats

Ty Warren (2 sacks)

Richard Seymour (8 sacks)

Ravens

Trevor Pryce (3 sacks)

Justin Bannan (11 sacks)

Dolphins

Kendall Langford (2 sacks)

Phillip Merling (2 sacks)

Browns

Corey Williams (.5 sacks)

Shaun Smith (0 sacks)

Steelers

Aaron Smith (6 sacks)

Brett Keisel (9 sacks)

Chargers

Igor Oshansky (7 sacks)

Luis Castillo (2 sacks)

Cowboys

Marcus Spears (1 sack)

Jason Hatcher (1 sack)

49ers

Justin Smith (7 sacks)

Ray McDonald (1 sack)

Packers - Switching to 3-4 now... not sure if Campman will be the De still at only 265lbs...

Aaron Kampman (9.5 sacks)

Mike MOntgomery (2.5 sacks)

Cheifs - Switching to 3-4 now...

Turk McBride (0 sacks)

Tamba Hali (3 sacks)

ok now give them a letter grade. then grade out the start NT of all 3-4 teams. then let's see our overall d-line's grade compared to others.

:ahhh:

Thats a lot of work!

Someone beat me to the list... damn it!

Ok here we go... a list of current starting 3-4 DE's and their sack totals from last season...

JETS

Ellis (8 sacks) (3rd best in NFL among 3-4 DE's)

Coleman (.5 sacks)

Pats

Ty Warren (2 sacks)

Ravens

Trevor Pryce (3 sacks)

Justin Bannan (11 sacks)

Dolphins

Phillip Merling (2 sacks)

Browns

Corey Williams (.5 sacks)

Shaun Smith (0 sacks)

Steelers

Aaron Smith (6 sacks)

Brett Keisel (9 sacks)

Chargers

Igor Oshansky (7 sacks)

Luis Castillo (2 sacks)

Cowboys

Marcus Spears (1 sack)

Jason Hatcher (1 sack)

49ers

Justin Smith (7 sacks)

Ray McDonald (1 sack)

Packers - Switching to 3-4 now... not sure if Campman will be the De still at only 265lbs...

Mike MOntgomery (2.5 sacks)

Cheifs - Switching to 3-4 now...

Turk McBride (0 sacks)

Tamba Hali (3 sacks)

I added the cheifs...

Pats; Ty Warren, Richard Seymour

Dallas; Cris Canty, Marcus Spears

Giants; Justin Tuck, Osi U

49ers; Justin Smith

Ravens; Trevor Pryce, H. Nagata

Steelers; Aaron Smith,

there's 10 3/4 DE's who are better than or at least as good AS our DE's

49ers; Justin Smith

Steelers; Aaron Smith,

Giants dont run a 3-4

So thats 8 according to you that are better...

idk why you guys are so down on ellis. the guy has been one of the better de's in the league. and he's been playing next to dt's who weren't so great. ellis is, imo, one of the better 3-4 de's in the league. coleman is average but that's ok...you can't have a pro-bowler at every damn position. jenkins was one of the best nt's last year also. our line is in the top half of 3-4 line sin the league. and i have to say the our lb'ers are now look to be one the best. our secondary is largely improved with sheppard and moving lowery to nickel. leonhar dis an upgrade also. couple that with the fact that we "should" be getting alot more pressure on the qb with the new scheme....and we should have a defense that looks alot more dominating this year. and last year we were pretty good at stopping the run until the second half.

Giants dont run a 3-4

So thats 8 according to you that are better...

Oh and another thing... most of the list are tandems. How would Ellis look opposite or Ngata? How would Ngata look opposite Coleman? Ngata would still be a beast but you could absolutely 100% scheme against him...

7... Canty isn't a 3-4 DE anymore. :P

Ellis is looking better and better... and your right he would look fantastic with a playmaker on the other side... heck even a decent OLB on the other side would help...

49ers; Justin Smith

Steelers; Aaron Smith,

Giants: Do not run a 3/4

Cowboys: Chris Canty is no longer on the team

Ravens: Haloti Ngata is a NT, Justin Bannan is the other DE

49ers: Justin Smith? Bwahahahahahhahaha

Lets just look at the 2008 Ravens DE's (Pryce & Bannan) to the Jets' (Ellis & Coleman).

I'll take the Jets pair anyday.

Giants: Do not run a 3/4

Cowboys: Chris Canty is no longer on the team

Ravens: Haloti Ngata is a NT, Justin Bannan is the other DE

49ers: Justin Smith? Bwahahahahahhahaha

Lets just look at the 2008 Ravens DE's (Pryce & Bannan) to the Jets' (Ellis & Coleman).

I'll take the Jets pair anyday.

Make that 5... lol

The starting DLine is not the problem. I disagree with the notion that Ellis & Coleman are below average. They can and do get the job done.

The problem is the lack of depth at NT. When Jenkins was out or got hurt, the line fell apart for the most part. Also, when he got hurt and Mangini decided to have the LBs in coverage and Rhodes blitz from 20 yards out, that was also a problem.

Getting depth on the DLine will serve the Jets well. There's no one out there quality wise that would be an upgrade over Coleman and Ellis.

The starting DLine is not the problem. I disagree with the notion that Ellis & Coleman are below average. They can and do get the job done.

The problem is the lack of depth at NT. When Jenkins was out or got hurt, the line fell apart for the most part. Also, when he got hurt and Mangini decided to have the LBs in coverage and Rhodes blitz from 20 yards out, that was also a problem.

Getting depth on the DLine will serve the Jets well. There's no one out there quality wise that would be an upgrade over Coleman and Ellis.

There is this FA named CJ Mosley that would be a great backup NT addition... :bag:

Oh and I have a hunch Rex might just scheme differently with Jenkins out... run a 4-3...

There is this FA named CJ Mosley that would be a great backup NT addition... :bag:

Its going to be interesting to see how Rex goes after a back-up NT for Kris, most likely I'd say he will find one via the draft, but whom? And I wouldn't think they'd use anything earlier than a 4th on one.

Leave it to my nephew to make me look stupid. How did I not only miss that the first time but ran with Ngata in my next post.

Teach me to post with a 102 fever while fighting the flu. :Nuts:

:)

Go to bed Uncle.

BTW, here are the Top 10 NT's in the Draft:

B.J. Raji, Boston College (6-1, 325)

Ron Brace, Boston College (6-3, 326)

Dorell Scott, Clemson (6-3, 310)

Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman (6-4, 331)

Myron Pryor, Kentucky (6-0, 310)

Terrance Taylor, Michigan (6-0, 306)

Chris Baker, Hampton (6-2, 326)

Terrance Knighton, Temple (6-3, 324)

Roy Miller, Texas (6-1, 310)

Antonio Dixon, Miami (6-3, 324)

I like Shawn Ellis and I believe as Ellis goes so goes the Jets-my only problem with him is he has been disappearing for chunks of the last few seasons-look at what he did and didn't do from the 2st half of last season to the 2nd half...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2143

The whole defense did... the rest of the teams we played figured out the scheme and Mangini never adjusted... then with 3 or 4 weeks left he completely changed the entire defense and really screwed things up...

Stop using that silly argument.. I posted in a thread about a month ago breaking down Ellis in December and historically its one of his best months...

:)

BTW, here are the Top 10 NT's in the Draft:

B.J. Raji, Boston College (6-1, 325)

Ron Brace, Boston College (6-3, 326)

Dorell Scott, Clemson (6-3, 310)

Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman (6-4, 331)

Myron Pryor, Kentucky (6-0, 310)

Terrance Taylor, Michigan (6-0, 306)

Chris Baker, Hampton (6-2, 326)

Terrance Knighton, Temple (6-3, 324)

Roy Miller, Texas (6-1, 310)

Antonio Dixon, Miami (6-3, 324)

Wow. It's been a while since so many DLine prospects had such prototypical NT measurements.

Out of 22 total 3-4 DE starters in the NFL... (including Ellis and Coleman)

Better than Ellis...

Justin Bannan (11 sacks)

Brett Keisel (9 sacks)

Igor Oshansky (7 sacks)

Better than Coleman

Ty Warren (2 sacks)

Trevor Pryce (3 sacks)

Justin Bannan (11 sacks)

Aaron Smith (6 sacks)

Brett Keisel (9 sacks)

Igor Oshansky (7 sacks)

Justin Smith (7 sacks)

1 sack in the 2nd half of 2008-7 the first half

Call me crazy but Ellis is one of my favorite Jets. Sure, he's hot and cold sometimes but bottom line in terms of production I'm more than happy with 60 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 1 TD from my 3-4 DE. He practically won a game for us last year (vs. Bills) and another the year before (vs. Pittsburgh).

Did he slide in the second half of last year? Sure, but take that in context. Our ENTIRE defense collapsed ala New York Mets in the second half.

I'd take Castillo over everyone on that list sans the top 3. Nice to see Igor getting some love though, I've always liked his game.

So . . . you're saying I should move him up 1 spot, ahead of Aaron Smith? That's a lot of words for that little point :biggrin:

And I think Smith is vastly underrated - I'd take him over Castillo, for just next season.

Leave it to my nephew to make me look stupid. How did I not only miss that the first time but ran with Ngata in my next post.

Teach me to post with a 102 fever while fighting the flu. :Nuts:

Except you were right and your nephew was wrong.

Ngata plays DE. Kelly Gregg is Balt's NT. Justin Bannan only started due to injury

Dude Ngata is a 345lb NT... he is NOT a DE...

Dude, watch Baltimore play.

Kelly Gregg is Baltimore's starting NT when healthy. He was injured last season, so Ngata shifted inside and Bannan took Ngata's spot at DE.

You really can't just look at the player's weight to determine position.

BTW, here's a 2008 Ravens season preview - check the depth chart and descriptions out:

. . .

Defense

LDE: Trevor Pryce Two years removed from a 13-sack campaign, but at 33 (in August), must prove he can stay healthy and energized.

NT: Kelly Gregg Not a traditional NT. Plays more of an agility-oriented game where his lateral quickness makes him a terrific run stopper.

RDE: Haloti Ngata Excellent leverage and improvements in explosiveness have made him a standout blocker-eater. Not a playmaker, though his range is increasing.

. . .

Although the Ravens use a three-man front, ends Trevor Pryce and Haloti Ngata, as well as nose tackle Kelly Gregg, are more than just blocker-gobblers. When he plays with strength, Pryce can be a punishing pass-rusher. He

Archived